ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SERV light on (no other warning lights on)

Hi All,

The SERV light has lit up on my 182.
There are no other warning lights showing and the car is running smoothly.

Last week, it was in the garage to have a heater resistor replaced but the SERV was showing before it went in.
The mechanic plugged it in to his diag machine and only fault code showing was the resistor problem.
He replaced the resistor, reset the fault code and said there was no other faults showing up.
He also told me that the SERV light would reset itself and would dissapear in a few days but its still showing.

Anyone any ideas?

ps It was an independant garage, not a main dealer.

Cheers

172,scenic, trafic
i think i m right in s aying this light doesnt show faults l ike injection etc on its own. things like low brake f luid will bring it on?

It was only MOT'd the other day, not sure if fluids checked during MOT but i'll double check them anyway and i'll give the odo reset a try as well,

cheers!

Da

Less
The SERV light doesn't illuminate on it's own, it illuminates with other lights to indicate you need to go to your local dealer.

Have you owned the car long?

LEXUS LS400
The SERV light doesn't illuminate on it's own, it illuminates with other lights to indicate you need to go to your local dealer.

Have you owned the car long?

Yes it does !

Check the plug connections under the passenger seat... I would put money on the seat belt tensioner plug being the cause. Undo it and plug it back together making sure the contacts are clean.
The SERV light will also come on if the oil level is low, but you would also get the OIL ------ on the LCD display when you start the car.

The ODO button trick is to reset the spanner symbol, not the SERV light as far as I know.

172 ph2
Don't pay too much attention to the above mate, I had the same issue as you and I fixed it after trawling through this and other forums.

Yes, the SERV light can and does come on on it's own. This happens in either of 2 cases that I've heard about: 1) if your engine oil is low as posted above and 2) if your rain sensor is faulty / unplugged.

In the case of the rain sensor, no fault code will be shown on an OBD diagnostics tool either.

Check your oil level - if OK then try and get someone to swap over your rain sensor to check it. With any luck, the light should go out immediately if a known good one is swapped in.

This is what fixed my problem. Hope it does yours.

Monaco Clio 172
ive got this problem with green gear stick light and done search after search and not found a thing about it.

LEXUS LS400
This happens in either of 2 cases that I've heard about: 1) if your engine oil is low as posted above and 2) if your rain sensor is faulty / unplugged.

3) airbag / seat belt tensioner connections under the passenger seat

;)

There is info about the rain sensor in the tech guides... if your rain sensor is working (easy to test) then it's not that.

172 ph2
3) airbag / seat belt tensioner connections under the passenger seat.

Is this not also accompanied by the airbag warning light? (which incidentally I have at the present time - which I can turn off by wiggling the wires under the driver seat).

Last edited:
  LEXUS LS400
Is this not also accompanied by the airbag warning light? (which incidentally I have at the present time - which I can turn off by wiggling the wires under the driver seat).

It wasn't on mine... there are two plugs... one is for the side airbag in the seat, the other is for the pre-tensioner. Mine was the pre-tensioner one that was loose (red and black plug). Maybe the airbag one would show the airbag light too.

EDIT - lol at your reason for edit... if I had £1... ;)

Listerine & Poledo
Have you been overtaken by a VTR Saxo lately?

If so the dignity sensors may just be telling you how you've been 'served'

LEXUS LS400
Just looked through the manual and the gearstick icon lights to indicate that you should change gear, so maybe SERV + this light means that the gearbox speed sensor is faulty ?