ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serpentine / Aux Belt Tensioning Tool

M2 Comp
Can anyone recommend one? I know people have successfully used jubilee clips and home-made tools, but I would rather buy a proper tool if possible (sure it will get some use over the years).

A few people have recommended the Snap-on tool and have mentioned it costing around £30, but the only one I can see is £100+ which I don't fancy spending!

Richpowell

ClioSport Club Member
  BG 182FF, 205 GTi
Ive the YA9350B Tensioner tool that i use at work and is great for tight spaces, but costs £135 inc vat. Yet to try it on my clio but its about as slim as i have seen for sale. If you don't know anyone to borrow one from you could perhaps buy from a snap on dealer, use it then sell it on ebay to get back some money.

Can anyone recommend one? I know people have successfully used jubilee clips and home-made tools, but I would rather buy a proper tool if possible (sure it will get some use over the years).

A few people have recommended the Snap-on tool and have mentioned it costing around £30, but the only one I can see is £100+ which I don't fancy spending!
Allot of these tensioners get broken when using the tension tool, There's nothing wrong using the jubilee clip method as long as you make sure it doesn't touch the belt.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I bought a tensioner tool, MOT1368 as recommended in the Renault service book and I didn't use it as it's awkward and really you need a ratchet one for easy changes. The end you need is also 3/8 instead of the 1/2" on the tool. The jubilee clip method is much better. Need one which is about 90mm.

M2 Comp
Ive the YA9350B Tensioner tool that i use at work and is great for tight spaces, but costs £135 inc vat. Yet to try it on my clio but its about as slim as i have seen for sale. If you don't know anyone to borrow one from you could perhaps buy from a snap on dealer, use it then sell it on ebay to get back some money.

I'd love the Snap-on tool, mate. When it's a tool I'll use regularly, I buy SO every time. With something like this though, it's hard to justify the outlay when I'll probably only use it a handful of times.

There's only one on eBay now, but it's still over £100. Hmm...

Allot of these tensioners get broken when using the tension tool, There's nothing wrong using the jubilee clip method as long as you make sure it doesn't touch the belt.

So I've heard! I'll probably just cut the old belt to speed up removal.

I bought a tensioner tool, MOT1368 as recommended in the Renault service book and I didn't use it as it's awkward and really you need a ratchet one for easy changes. The end you need is also 3/8 instead of the 1/2" on the tool. The jubilee clip method is much better. Need one which is about 90mm.

Thanks for sharing your experiences @GrahamS. I think I'd better order a 90mm jubilee clip then just in case...

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
  172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
^^^^
Also loosen the alternator helps. I broke two new tensioners using a tool which eventually broke itself so I threw it away and got some Jubilee clips. Don't just buy any hose clip, they won't be strong enough. I went to an agricultural suppliers and bought Jubilee branded ones which are BSI marked, size 4 and 90 to 110mm.

Clio 172
I know you mentioned about the jubilee clip but it's what I've used time and time again and I'd say probably works better than the proper tool...Just bend one around the tensioner and tighten, simple as that, I keep the clip in my toolbox and can be used time and time again it also holds the tension off the belt while your trying to remove/fit it which makes it easier than the proper tool imo

M2 Comp
Ok point taken... jubilee clip ordered ;)

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I have a day off on Monday so I'm looking to get it done then - I'll let you know how it goes...