ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serious problem...who can help us

Right guys, ive got a problem that im hoping someone can sort out for me. Today I blew one of our demo cars Kicker Solobaric 15s...doh!! I think the coil still works but the cone isnt moving. Now then dilema time. I have to get something sorted by next weekend for the French Car day. Heres the options:

1 - If anyone has, or knows anyone that has a Kicker Solobaric 15" sub (must be a round one) that they want to sell or could be pursuaded to sell then I will pay top money for one...and i mean top money...and ill collect it if you like.

2 - I could get this one repaired but I think it will need to go off to the US and thats not gonna be done in a week...plus it may be unrepairable

3 - I could buy 2x other subs that will work just as well if not better than the Kickers with around 850watts RMS to each in a 3cuft box (1.5 per sub). I was thinking of a couple of W3s or some RE SE15s or possibly some Rockford 3215s

They are my options but I have to get it sorted asap. Ideally I want to buy a second hand Solobaric.

If anyone can help us or has any other ideas then that would be great.

Thanks

Russ
Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

1. dont know of anyone selling any, sorry

2. it will have to go off to america

3. what sort of osund are you after in the car? SPL? SQ? a mixture?

let me know what sort of sound your after and i will recommend you some subs!

Ad

Ill try Wembley Car Speaker. Do you have a number for them by any chance?

Ive just got the sub out of the box and it smells like the coil has gone. Im guessing they are going to have to do a full recone as the sub itself doesnt appear to very serviceable from underneath.

Adam - I thought I would have to send it off to the US..damn!!! Im basically just after a well built sub that will take up to 900 watts RMS without dieing a death while sounding best in a 1.5cuft sealed enclosure that will give good SPL figures. Luckily the car isnt being db metered until the 31st of this month so the subs will get loads of time to run in first. I think I have mentioned most of the makes that could do it for less than £200 per sub and obviously we get trade prices so it wont be so bad. If ive missed any then feel free to let me know.

Im half thinking of going for a couple of L7s as they are designed for 1.5cuft enclosures, have a similar sound to the round Solobarics, handle more power and will fit in the same size hole with a bit of cutting around the edges. I checked the figures and they are both 14.1". That plan all depends on whether ours is fixable or not though.

I wanted RE SEs to match our HC12s that we have in there already but they need a larger box and its best to port them for good db figures.

Cheers for the help guys.

Russ

the square solos are rubbish for SQ, wouldnt really recommend them for a demo car,

hmm...lets think about subs, how about the RE XXX, is that in your budget?

JL W3 is always a safe option but they would never be able to take 900 rms, even the 15" daily.

i can recommend diamond, crystal, anything like that for SQ.

DD for volume and SQ?

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc

Where abouts do you go to get the Kickers RE-Coiled, as i blew my L5.

Same situation as yourself Evil_ice, the cone seems to be stuck and the smell from it was unreal.

Anyone also have any idea of prices for getting the subs recoiled as i can pick up new L5s for around £160

The new range of Kicker Solo-Barics are apparently due to come with a full set of spares (ie. cones with grafting material, rubbers/surrounds, coils, etc. etc.) plus a fitting kit, and be entirely user-serviceable. I wonder if this suggests a known problem with Kickers cmpetition stuff, cos I dont see any other manufacturer doing this! Im sure they much prefer to sell people a replacement sub!

I agree the squares arent so good on the SQ side of things but its looking like the only option unless we can get something sorted pretty quick. The thing is that we need to be able to get good street bass for normal demo purposes but also have decent SPL...its a tricky one.

The 15XXX is in our budget but we need to run 2 of them off a single 35-1D which isnt gonna work if my impedance calculations are correct. The same problem arises with the CMPX2 subs.

I agree with you on the W3 though..Its not really going to do the job without frying.

The DD 3500 series is an option still. Ill need to check the recommended box sizes etc before we decide.

Paddy - Some dealers in this country have the equipment to recone an L5 or L7 but they are few and far between. If they are very bad then they have to go back to the US.

Russ

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

what about 15" cerwin vega strokers? i think that is the name ne way,

always try and get some last year w6s?

MaLicE

Ive never really liked the stroker..i dont know why but ill check it out as an option anyway.

However its looking like its going to have to be a couple of 15L7s or Resonant Engineering SE15s as we dont have time to redesign boxes before the French Car Day show...bad timing or what!!!

I think the L7s will be the safe (if expensive) option as i dont think the REs will get as loud in a 3cuft sealed enclosure...If anyone has any db figures to prove that theory wrong then ill be very happy to hear that.

Do you know of anyone that has a couple of 15W6s for sale?

Russ

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

my local isce shop had some going for 240 quid each, was sooo tempted as they were replacing em with the w7s which i might add 2x 15" w7s would be kick ass lol.

MaLicE

oh and u gotta get it sorted as i think u may have been volenteered to be the car in the tent playing the tunes :D

Oh really....looks like we will have to get it sorted dead quick then.

The only problem with the W7 theory is that they are only available in 10", 12" and 13" sizes. I dont know what the cutout hole is for the 13" but its got to be less than the 14.1" hole i have already.

Cheers for the idea though.

Russ

theres no such thing as a 15W6v1 IIRC, theres a 15W3 tho.

youre right tho russ about the W7, 10, 12 and 13" wierd sizes hey!

i dont think there is such thing as a 15W6v2, which is a shame as they are great subs.

i cant think of anything at the mo that fits the bill, nothing that can handle 900rms.

GOT IT!

Fusion Jonah Lomu FJL1511

Magnet Structure 400 Oz

Power Handling 1600 Watts
Voice Coil 3" Black Alloy DVC
Impedance (per coil) 4 Ohms

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/fjl1511.jpg

any good?

Ad

Its an option if things dont go to plan. At the moment there is a possibility that someone from the SSC forum may know somebody that has a replacement Solobaric round sub which would be ideal. Well see what happens when he comes back to me.

Russ

The strokers need a larger box than we can give it and the Vega 158 wont take the amount of power well be throwing at it. CVs also usually work best in ported enclosures.

Still no word from the guy with the spare Solobaric..Im gonna have to order the subs tomorrow to get them here in time..Its a toss up between L7s and RE SE15s.

It will definately be done for the French Car Day though.

Cheers for that Nicky. I spoke to them about 10 minutes ago and they said they could have a look at it for me if i send it down to them. However im going to get something else in the meantime as they wont be able to do the job that quick. They reckon it might be repairable as long as it doesnt need reconing as they cant get the kits any more...suprise suprise.

Russ

Mr2 Roadster

Sorry about that... I used them a few times to repair speakers when I used to work for Sony Music and they were able to repair anything I gave them, no matter how old.

Good luck sorting it all out!

Nick.

I was thinking of sending it down to them as i was still getting some sound out of it. After just testing it again, its completely died now so i think its knackered.

Its looking increasingly like well be seeing a couple of L7s replacing them...I cant go without bass for too long.

Also the remaining sub is reluctantly now for sale due to the problem. Its in perfect working order with no marks on the cone either. Ill put it in the For Sale section at some point but if anyone wants a bargain for £90..or £130 in a 1.5cuft sealed box then nows the time to speak up.

Russ

We are ordering ourselves a pair of Kicker 15" L7 square subs tomorrow due to the problems you all know about.

Cheers for the help and suggestions guys. Anyone who is going to the French Car Show will be able to hear the car with the new subs in it...hopefully they will be run in enough to give em some stick at the show.

Thanks

Russ

evil ice

i have a pair of those 15" solos in the round cone? not sure how much is wanted for them they are sitting in our work van with a audiobahn amp thing 2400 watt thing,

think he was selling them as a package but might split>?

Tom

Right then. If Tom can pull this one out of the bag then thats superb. If not then I have backup in 2x Audiobahn AW1500Q subs arriving tomorrow so at least theyll be subs of some kind in the car for the French Car Day...I just dont know how theyll sound yet as well be pushing them to the lmit...could get messy.

Russ