ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sequential box f4r???? £5750

Dan

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ahh yes I didn't see that in the writing at 1st.

Ultimate track/ road car gearbox!

Trader Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Very nice indeed.

wonder if I can justify to Kim that a gearbox for the track car is more important than having a new bathroom before the baby comes, lol.
(I think it could be a dangerous conversation to venture in to)

Trader Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Do it. Let us know how you get on!

realistically Dan, as much as I would love it, I think at this stage where we only have 2 months until the bub is born and a fair bit still to achieve on the house, hinting at a sequential box will be as close to suicide as I'm likely to get :(

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Flol @ even considering it ni your situation.

Personally I reckon if you are goign for a sequential then just flog your car and buy a cup racer instead and just accept trailering it.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Lotus Elise
Sequential boxes are for heros. Nothing like the noise of straight cut gears and dogs chattering.

It would require a proper ECU and ignition cut to get the best from it, in terms of reliability and speed of change.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Usually not too bad, the dogs are cheap......ish. Its quicker to do than a road box too.

Agreed, Unlike a road box they are designed to be serviced as they need rebuilding so much more often.
The parts are effectively just regular service items for that box.

Trader Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Flol @ even considering it ni your situation.

Personally I reckon if you are goign for a sequential then just flog your car and buy a cup racer instead and just accept trailering it.

The Trophy is already a trailer only car chip, there is no way in hell that it would now ever pass an MOT.
New trailer is now purchased and tucked away safely with the car :)

long term, I would like to go this route with the gearbox, but other things to achieve with the car first.

Just tell her you will get her to the hospital 3 seconds a straight faster with a sequential ;)

Ha Ha, or just use the focus instead ;)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The Trophy is already a trailer only car chip, there is no way in hell that it would now ever pass an MOT.
New trailer is now purchased and tucked away safely with the car :)

Bet if you asked the right person you could still get an MOT ;) lol

long term, I would like to go this route with the gearbox, but other things to achieve with the car first.

Just sell the car and buy a cup racer you will spend so much more money just building something not as good!

If you get a cup racer the whole car is pefectly sorted for you and all you need is more power which is the easy bit.
If I end up with the spare funds in a couple of years I think I may go that route myself (prob with a turbo lump)

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Lotus Elise
Bet if you asked the right person you could still get an MOT ;) lol

Just sell the car and buy a cup racer you will spend so much more money just building something not as good!

If you get a cup racer the whole car is pefectly sorted for you and all you need is more power which is the easy bit.
If I end up with the spare funds in a couple of years I think I may go that route myself (prob with a turbo lump)

Would need to check out the torque rating of the 'box, but a turnbo'd cup car sounds fun!

Trader Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
  XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
TBH chip, I think ill stick with this for a couple of years and then move on to a 197, if not sooner, and see what decent options are available then rather than converting a road car again.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
TBH chip, I think ill stick with this for a couple of years and then move on to a 197, if not sooner, and see what decent options are available then rather than converting a road car again.

197 cup car prices are tumbling now its not going to be eligable anymore, so thats a good plan, spend not too much on yours, and buy a 197 racer then put some decent power into it.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Would need to check out the torque rating of the 'box, but a turnbo'd cup car sounds fun!

I'd use a slightly bigger turbo with a better exhaust manifold than I have now and run relatively little boost.

I'd be looking for around 200lbft of torque held to 7800rpm, which would give me a little over 300bhp and I feel the box would cope very well with that, so basically like my part throttle map on my car now, but with the lines both shifted up a bit.

So a slightly higher version of this shape power delivery to make just over 300bhp:
IMAG0470_zpsef9e90d8.jpg

Rather than this shape which would destroy the box im sure:
IMAG0469_zpsa560ff7d.jpg

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That box on piston heads is overpriced for what it is, the STDSA boxes aren't as strong as the ST75-14 which is what I would be looking for if retrofitting. A good one of those is about the price of the one for sale above. The torque rating on the ST75 is 180nm and thats a fair bit more than the STDSA boxes so turbo'ing would be risky. As above cheapest option is to buy a cup racer drop the subframe, engine mounts, gearbox, hubs and driveshafts and then sell the car on as a racing car without the sequential which co incidentally makes it eligible for more series to race in. Would still cost you about 6k but at least then you have the shifter, shafts, hubs, cup racer engine mounts la,la,laa

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That box on piston heads is overpriced for what it is, the STDSA boxes aren't as strong as the ST75-14 which is what I would be looking for if retrofitting. A good one of those is about the price of the one for sale above. The torque rating on the ST75 is 180nm and thats a fair bit more than the STDSA boxes so turbo'ing would be risky. As above cheapest option is to buy a cup racer drop the subframe, engine mounts, gearbox, hubs and driveshafts and then sell the car on as a racing car without the sequential which co incidentally makes it eligible for more series to race in. Would still cost you about 6k but at least then you have the shifter, shafts, hubs, cup racer engine mounts la,la,laa

No, just keep the car, buy a 197 racer and use that, and sell his trophy.

Pointless starting with a road car if what you want is a race car spec for using as a trackday car, just start with a racecar that someone else has lost all the money on instead.

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Chip have you ever seen the condition of the cup racers for sale? I looked at 5 and only one of them wouldn't of needed a reshell, then they all need full refreshes which can cost close to 10k by the time you have done box, suspension, sphericals etc the shell's even if you find a straight one are getting ropey due to the huge strains of silly hard suspension so factor in for some Jig work and stitch welding where it's started to crack and then a repaint! IMO better to get the nice bits off and put on a car that you know the history of and is already upto scratch and hence cheapest :)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip have you ever seen the condition of the cup racers for sale? I looked at 5 and only one of them wouldn't of needed a reshell, then they all need full refreshes which can cost close to 10k by the time you have done box, suspension, sphericals etc the shell's even if you find a straight one are getting ropey due to the huge strains of silly hard suspension so factor in for some Jig work and stitch welding where it's started to crack and then a repaint! IMO better to get the nice bits off and put on a car that you know the history of and is already upto scratch and hence cheapest :)

A fair point Ash, but your standards are too high, for a trackday car the things you are thinking are a massive issue wouldnt be, also if you take your time you can find for only a couple of grand more one that has had a decent level of maintenance already (again let someone else do the spending, its not like people like kelv need to buy a car in a week to be ready for a race, take a year and find the right one).
But I certainly agree with you that just thinking "its a cup car it will be perfect" is certainly not the frame of mind to go shopping with!

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio172cup rally car

I completely agree! these gearboxes are only worth £3500 at most. That one is well overpriced. Plus the cost if retrofitting one of these gearboxes isn't worth the hassle. After just fitting a st75 to my car you need mounts, subframe, wishbones for the longer shafts and the correct wiring to get flat shift working correctly. The cost just doesn't out way the benefits for a track car. for a flat out racer/rally car maybe.
But nothing beats that clunck when engaging first on the start line :)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
If you can find me one for 3.5k that doesnt need another 1-2k throwing at it in rebuild costs ill buy it! 5-5.5k is easily worth it for a well maintained box, the fact it can go on on standard mounts as well is also a huge benifit.

Ash is right about the cup racers to. Your going to be paying upwards of 10k for a properly maintained mk2 cup racer. There are alot of expensive parts you dont really need on them, also a lot of cheaper better replacement items out there. Things have move on alot in the last 13 years. Personally if i had the choice to start again i would have bought a road/trackday car with ITB's etc already fitted and converted from there.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio172cup rally car
If you can find me one for 3.5k that doesnt need another 1-2k throwing at it in rebuild costs ill buy it! 5-5.5k is easily worth it for a well maintained box, the fact it can go on on standard mounts as well is also a huge benifit.

Ash is right about the cup racers to. Your going to be paying upwards of 10k for a properly maintained mk2 cup racer. There are alot of expensive parts you dont really need on them, also a lot of cheaper better replacement items out there. Things have move on alot in the last 13 years. Personally if i had the choice to start again i would have bought a road/trackday car with ITB's etc already fitted and converted from there.

Ok maybe I was being a little optimistic with the £3500 :) but surely not worth more than £4250! Especially when at that asking price you are looking at a decent st75-14
I've just found two stdsa boxes for sale at offers around 5000euros! bearing in mind that was in France!