ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sensible Car. e92 330d.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So with Brexit/Article 50/General economic slowdown appearing to halve my income over the past 6 months, it was time to stockpile some rainy day cash & pay off some loans ... so the idea was to sell the RS3 and buy a 5dr Golf Gti instead. Unfortunately, trying to find a 5dr mk6 DSG Gti with leather & xenons in that lovely grey colour was proving problematic, so i was drawn back towards my traditional holy grail of motoring. BMW.

Due to my low miles, my initial thought was naturally a 330i, & because i sit in soooo much town traffic these days, an automatic was a definite - having the manual Boxster means that ill never be driving this "for fun". On the flipside, i had bought a 330i manual touring for a friend recently and well, because i was used to boost now, the NA felt a bit flat at low speeds. With that in mind, i thought i'd also look at 335i's (with warranty!!) and 330/335d's as well. As with the Golf, finding an LCI saloon (for the newer pro nav) with Nav/Xenons (essential), Electric seats (i can never quite get comfy with the manual ones) & folding rear seats (just useful really) was proving tricky. So i decided to buy a coupe instead, as they come with all those things as standard! As the choice was far far greater, a black 330i, black 335i & white 330d were all lined up for last Saturday. Unfortunately both the 330i/335i sold before i could view them, which just left the 330d. Having not had a derv since the e46 320d, i was a little concerned about vibration at idle/low speeds, but if it was ok id probably buy it ...

It was more than ok, so bye bye RS3, hello 330d M Sport Highline:
36697083303_4a325cf39b_k.jpg
Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Only really have dealer photos so far, but to be perfectly honest, they are far far better than anything i could ever take 😂
36640424563_60f2372c79_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
23515314588_83620023e5_z.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36697136783_d82f62b7cd_z.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36697136703_886a5fd289_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36697136643_0cec2a8c24_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
23515314388_79d1d4c362_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
23515314288_0dd25ae990_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
36697136523_ae15c87a3d_b.jpg
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Spec wise, its got everything i wanted, so LCI auto, Pro nav, 19's, xenons, electric/heated seats with memory, electric folding mirrors. The stereo is, compared to the B&O in the RS3, utterly woeful, so ill have to try & do something to improve it. I'm also missing being able to read the news on the Nav screen whilst sat in my daily traffic jam on the way to work :laughing:

Driving wise, & rather interestingly, the e92 really shows how far Audi have come with driveability, the RS3 is by all accounts, a flipping excellent car to sit in & pilot down a road, in all weathers, at warp speed. I had to pick Sarah up last night, in the dark, in the rain and promptly got the BM very sideways coming out of our car park, then almost aquaplaned off the road having hit a big puddle. In the RS3, i could have launch controlled out of the drive, then hit the puddle at 100 without worrying, whilst sat in one of the nicest interiors ever. It felt short, wide & stuck to the tarmac, by comparison, the e92 feels long, narrow & very skittish. The Audi really was an incredibly good car, very very good. I have to have another at some point :disrelieved:

The 330d is perfectly fine for driving to work/pootling about/going out on business though, which is why i bought it :up:
Bugger me new BMW floormats are expensive though, £100. FML.

Great buy mate, these have got to be one of the best all rounders on the road. Lovely in white as well. Just keep an eye on those alloys as they tend to crack easily.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
The only thing that lets mine down is the stereo

You have the E91 like me don't you? Such a pain having to look for direct replacement speakers, rather than just run of the mill stuff. Mine doesnt even have an amp, just all ran off the "professional" (read as poverty) headunit. Urrgghh.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
You have the E91 like me don't you? Such a pain having to look for direct replacement speakers, rather than just run of the mill stuff. Mine doesnt even have an amp, just all ran off the "professional" (read as poverty) headunit. Urrgghh.
Same here.

Volume is there but clarity isn't. Some replacement speakers would make the world of difference but I can't be arsed.

Peugeot 308
@Sir_Dave

Had a browse around, this is an option that can be fitted to your E92 as I believe you have the business system as standard.

upload_2017-9-28_19-33-18.png

These Prices are +VAT but I'm sure a healthy level of discount could be arranged :wink:

2.5 Hours fitting time apparently.

Edit - There are some lovely M-Performance parts available for these :innocent::innocent:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
@Sir_Dave

Had a browse around, this is an option that can be fitted to your E92 as I believe you have the business system as standard.

View attachment 1337569

These Prices are +VAT but I'm sure a healthy level of discount could be arranged :wink:

Edit - There are some lovely M-Performance parts available for these :innocent::innocent:
I was quoted nearly £600 for all that from Cotswold. Then a read the reviews saying it's shite lol

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
@Sir_Dave

View attachment 1337569

Now you're a useful man!

@Sir_Dave love the car except for the fact you went white. I quite fancy swapping my 650i for one of those but maybe a saloon. Brother had a wonderful blue one I should have bought as he traded it into Range Rover for peanuts.

IMG_5161.PNG

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Great buy mate, these have got to be one of the best all rounders on the road. Lovely in white as well. Just keep an eye on those alloys as they tend to crack easily.
Thank you!! Yes, ive always admired the 3.0d engine actually, nearly bought a manual e46 330cd years ago, but didnt on the basis that it was probably all the car i'd ever need .... i had a very long list of cars that i wanted to own at that point so it made no sense 😂
You have had some ace cars.
😌 cheers!
I wonder what percentage of the threads in this section are yours?
Quite a few id imagine :tonguewink:
I love them, but just not in white 😧
@Sir_Dave love the car except for the fact you went white.
No love for recession white lol (its a 2009 car) ...
I dont mind it, also means i can get the eastern European chaps to wash it & not worry about swirls!
My M3 came from that dealer. Nice bus.
Yeah, they've always had some nice cars, always expensive, but this one didn't seem too bad.
Lush! I'm hoping to buy a 2010 325d Touring this week.
That's the N57 engine i think, so same as the 330d just with a different map!
I do love the LCI tourings, just have no kids, dog or mountain biking hobby, so no real requirement for one :laughing:
@Sir_Dave
@Daz_RT_04 i've been looking at that as it happens, bit pricey now though mind, feel free to pm me nice prices though :kissingheart:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
What about an Eonon (?) android type of unit... or is the IP a stupid shape so it won't work/ they don't make one ?

Is it a nice white, or flat/boring.. some of the pearly ones like Ford's non-flat white is wonderful !

RS4
Looks good Dave. Its quite a harsh ride on the 19"s. I know the RS3 is harsh (if you had mag ride) but I think you will get bored of the ride and lazy gearbox quite quickly.

I have just picked up a DSG MK6 GTD. Ok its abit slow but I cant think of better daily for the price.

Mk1
I really really like it. I used to have an E46 330CD which was fully sorted. Loved that car!

The only question I have is.. if your doing low mileage, why the diseasal!

320d M Sport
Great car, best spec. Mine is the 320 but definitely 335 or 330 next for me. Agree the speakers are a bit s**t tho.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Is it a nice white, or flat/boring.. some of the pearly ones like Ford's non-flat white is wonderful !
Just the boring, flat white, i quite like BMW's in this shade though, nearly got the M135i in white/black!

Looks good Dave. Its quite a harsh ride on the 19"s. I know the RS3 is harsh (if you had mag ride) but I think you will get bored of the ride and lazy gearbox quite quickly. I have just picked up a DSG MK6 GTD. Ok its abit slow but I cant think of better daily for the price.
Yeah, the RS3 with Magnetic was flipping awful, even after having all 4 dampers replaced it crashed & banged over every pot hole/speed bump on the way to work! Nowhere near as compliant as the EDC in my e90 M3 :down: Id say that the e92 on runflats is actually less crashy! I did think about a Golf, but it would have had to be a Gti, i just cant be dealing with the noise of a 4 cylinder diesel anymore, not for sitting in traffic all the time - they are fine on the motorway, but not in town.

The only question I have is.. if your doing low mileage, why the diseasal!
Mainly as the 330i i was going to look at sold, but also, well, its quite nice not having to go to Shell all the time lol. I've done 150 miles since i bought it, in the RS3 id need to fill up again, in this, i seem to have only used 1/4 of a tank 😂

This is what the part numbers add up to (Picture doesn't show the speaker covers for the tweeters).
@Daz_RT_04 How much lol? Im either buying the Alpine retrofit, or Gladen/Audio System/MB Quart speakers plus suitable system soon.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Now done about 1k miles in it, which rather amusingly, is only 2 tanks of fuel.
Clearly some kind of witchcraft as i've only seen 250 a tank in any of my cars, for about 6 years 😂
Also encountered my first issue, which i would imagine is exactly why the previous owner got rid of it, a rather rough idle on cold start, almost like a misfire on a petrol engine, a bit of a panic moment if you didnt have any form of diagnostics id imagine ... Not noticeable when i first drove the car as it was during the day i guess, or they'd made sure it was started & idled for a minute before i got there. Off i went to Amazon to purchase CarlyforBMW, partly so i could code in a few things (digital speedo for one) that would allow me to read the codes without having to drag my laptop out of the cupboard. In reality, i dont think its as good as INPA for fault funding, but it gets the job done:
37718764452_3498df3b0d_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

With a cold start "misfire" an "IBS-LIN bus" error can usually be attributed to a fault Glow Plug Controller on the N57 engine, meaning that the glow plugs arent doing their thing, creating "a poor burn of derv" or whatever the f*ck these tractors do to create powerz. So i checked my warranty, reminded myself that for issues like this, it was utterly pointless & ordered one of ebay (Beru GSE108). A quick google showed that i didnt need to remove the inlet manifold (as per the M57): http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1419504 so the part turned up a couple of days later & i fitted it over the weekend
37750549451_db9c346c42_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
In effect, you need tiny hands (which i have), but very strong fingers (which i dont have), so i had to break one of the tabs on the loom plug to get it off the socket on the controller. Its still held on with one tab however, so all is good. Problem is solved, no errors & no idle problems :up:

Other things ive done?
Floor mats arrived, Y-cable is fitted (although it doesnt seem to work with my iPhone 7 for some reason) & my number plate is on.
37718765412_7b8ebd6375_z.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

I guess the fact that im not missing the RS3 is testament to how good this car is.

Am slightly irritated that James Paul sold it for a £4k profit in 3 days though, purely because they could offer finance. FFS.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Am slightly irritated that James Paul sold it for a £4k profit in 3 days though, purely because they could offer finance. FFS.
You do realise you can offer finance too right on a private sale.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
What's the swirl flap & EGR error? Has it had them blanked?
No idea currently, EGR is still on there. Apparently its less prone to gunking up on the later cars, but i still need to work out whats what.
Is running fine, DPF is able to regen, temps are fine etc etc, but its also giving me the following:
  • Egr actuator position control valve too far open / negative deviation
  • Exhaust gas recirculation rate control, deviation exhaust gas recirculation rate control error while Kat heating
  • Swirl flap, plausibility: mechanically defective
I'll have a look at the EGR/clean it at some point, the swirl flap error will be manifold related, but i think the N57 is all in one piece if you want to fix it. De-flap is an option, but from my understanding, they cant fall into the engine/break off like the older ones anyway.
You do realise you can offer finance too right on a private sale.
Yes, but it would seem that most members of the public would prefer the comfort of buying from a dealer, despite it being a car under 3 years old, with OEM warranty. I had that conversation with the one person that called who wasnt a trader offering me "best cash price" 😂

Sounds like either they are both faulty or blanked. My EGR reads similar due to being blanked on the Mondeo and has a constant EML light on.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Where did you get INPA for the BMW Dave? I may get it for my "roadman" 320d. I've also heard the C110 units are very good for BMW's and hand held. Only £30ish and can clear air bag lights etc.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sounds like either they are both faulty or blanked. My EGR reads similar due to being blanked on the Mondeo and has a constant EML light on.
I reckon faulty, the car is 100% standard elsewhere, so cant imagine that its been buggered about with EGR wise.
No EML lights, just background fault codes.

Where did you get INPA for the BMW Dave? I may get it for my "roadman" 320d. I've also heard the C110 units are very good for BMW's and hand held. Only £30ish and can clear air bag lights etc.
I've had it for years (it runs on my Windows XP netbook lol), so probably since my first e46, but i would have just bought it from bmcables or similar id have thought. Its a great piece of kit. On the flipside, although whilst its not as good for fault finding as INPA, CarlyforBMW makes coding etc far easier than WINKFP/ENDIABAS etc.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Looks slick that! Very nice.

Bet you miss the sound of the RS3 though, I heard one the other day, sounded amazing, even for a turbo

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I do, but given the choice of selling the RS3 or the Boxster ... no kids, so no need for a 5 door hatchback! :up:
Flat 6 N/A > Turbo for noise. Although the boosted 5 pot in the Audi was pretty darn epic.
Yeah I couldn't believe it when I heard that noise and saw an a3 fly past!

That bmw looks so smart though, both bloody mint motors!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Ge the flaps whipped out. Takes about an hour and costs about £40 for the parts. i6Automotive do a kit. Being the 330d, its probably the 33mm ones you need.

Just leave the actuator plugged in so the bar still does it's job and you don't get any codes.

Get rid of the EGR and thermostat (if it as one). Useless sacks of s**t they are. Have it mapped out when you get it mapped, which you will want to do!!! 300bhp and about 500lb/ft