ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Semi-urgent- grinding/rubbing from offside rear

A delightful rubbing/grinding has started on my car, not just under braking, I can hear it at any speed under 30. Any ideas? Need to drive about 150 miles tomorrow, slightly less than tonight. Just going to jack up and check nothing's weirdly loose.
Thanks!

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
A delightful rubbing/grinding has started on my car, not just under braking, I can hear it at any speed under 30. Any ideas? Need to drive about 150 miles tomorrow, slightly less than tonight. Just going to jack up and check nothing's weirdly loose.
Thanks!
Wheel bearing? does it change when cornering?
Give me a shout when you've got it jacked and I can nip over and have a look/listen.

Haha, cheers for the info. It's driven to Loch Lomond ok so it'll do. Think the caliper is just seizing up. I freed it a couple weeks ago and it's just happened again. Needs a proper strip down.

So, home now after nearly 500 miles in a couple days. Not got worse, still noisy under braking at lower speeds or heavy load(which I avoided doing) but it is an on/off noise.
What is the caliper pin? @con1981
This will hopefully still get through the MOT tomorrow!!

The calipers float on a pin which allows the caliper to adjust to how much is left on the pads. The two bolts that hold the caliper to the hub are only partly threaded and the unthreaded bit can rust solid into the carrier

The calipers float on a pin which allows the caliper to adjust to how much is left on the pads. The two bolts that hold the caliper to the hub are only partly threaded and the unthreaded bit can rust solid into the carrier
Not sure if I have fixed this at all right but had to try and improve it for now. Just wound the caliper back in a little which I feel is probably not right but if not I'll probably need a new caliper anyway. Or at least strip it down and repair it.
It is floating properly I believe so not sure why the caliper has ended up so far out. Any ideas?
Ta

If you can wind the piston in its not seized. The caliper is not at fault. Did you free off the two pins that the caliper bolts two the ones with the rubber dust covers on the carrier?