ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Semi-skimmed Ride Height Front/Back

Clio 182
This has been bugging me for a bit so decided to post...

The arch gap front and rear seem massively different to one another. AFAIK the springs are all original and the car's just had an MOT and 36k service which didn't spot any broken bits. Is this normal for a 182 without cup packs?

Thinking I might get a set of sportlines. Might be a stupid question but can I just change the front springs and leave the backs as std??

Rear:
DSCF7958B.jpg

Front:
DSCF7959B.jpg

Both:
DSCF7960B.jpg

Ps, ignore the filthiness, the hosepipe ban and nosey neighbours in our area prevent a proper clean :(

Clio 182
Hmm... I did think about the stuff in the boot - there's a 172 wheel/tyre I have as a spare, a few tools and load of basketballs. Heavy-ish but don't think it explains why I'm driving up hill all the time!

Fiesta ST-3
Doesn't look right at all mate.

I've just had brand new springs on my FF and it sat a lot lower straight off the jack than yours does!

Clio 182
Cheers for the comments, it's clearly not sitting right.

Will see about getting some new springs I guess.

Clio 182
OK, just had a quick look. Bolt spacing is 54mm as best I can tell from crawling under the car, so I reckon the shocks are correct but it's just got the wrong springs. Boo.

Apart from the car looking like it's on stilts how can you tell the difference between the correct and incorrect springs?

IMAG0366.jpg

SQ5
How long you had the car? Springs look very new.

I think different springs have different coloured spots on.

Clio 182
Only had the car six months. No receipts to say springs have been changed but I can't say for sure.

Are the cup springs at FF springs the same as each other - I thought the FF ones were only around 8mm lower than std? I'll either look out for some of these or Eibachs, can't be driving around in a monster truck much longer.

Clio 182
Yeh, definitely HPI clear. It had just had a new / re-sprayed bumper when I bought it - I bought through a friend who owns the spray shop that repaired it. The little black inserts in the bumper were never put back in ;)

I just checked this morning and the nearsisde front sits a good inch higher than the offside. Both springs have a green and blue spot (couldn't find whether these are the right ones though). Either way I'm going to give it some new springs and see what happens. Am I right in thinking no compressors needed for 1*2s?

Edit: just found this pic of the car when I bought it - all looks normal in this. Confused much.

email 010.jpg

Clio 182
The rear offside (i.e. opposite the high front nearside) sits slightly higher but that might be because of the front, not causing it. Both rear springs looks fine, not corroded or snapped. Shocks looks ok visually, no leaking or anything, but can't tell much more than that.

I think its fine, my other clio is lowered on coils and i recent purchased a standard cup, it looks just like that, rear dampeners were duff, replaced them still sits the same, but handles like a train like a cup should. IMO i think we all forget just how gash these cars look direct from the factory, in terms of stance lol.

Id lower it, or i wouldnt worry about it if the car handles ok.

Clio 182
Danny - The more I think about it, the more I reckon the rear offside shock is on its way out as you said. It explains why I didn't notice it until recently too. Cheers for the suggestions.

SprayShack - Think I'm going to drop the car a little anyway (prob just 25mm ish on Eibach Pros) so may as well change the rear shocks while I'm at it. It drives ok at the moment (although I don't tear about that much) but the way it looks irritates me.

Clio 182
Guess that could be it. I'll jack up the front and take the weight off then see if the springs are seated properly. I can't think when that would have happened but worth checking.