ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seen it all now

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Tipex marks on pulley.....common place

Tipex marks on the end of tha cams!!!!!! WTF

IMAG0199-1.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pretty cringeworthy on one of these engines.

Perfectly valid method on keywayed cams where all you need to ensure when doing a belt is that you are on the correct tooth, but not a good method for doing a floating setup.

Must say though that tipex has lasted well to still look so clean if its been inside the engine for a while like that!

BMW E46 330ci Sport
So they used tipex to mark the position of the camshaft when fitting the new belt? Scientific!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So they used tipex to mark the position of the camshaft when fitting the new belt? Scientific!

and also pointless considering if they are just going to look at a tipex mark they may as well just look at the cams themselves, you can pretty much tell at a glance to more accuracy than they have achieved there just from if the 2 slots are pointing at each other like they should be or not.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Yes Martyn, definitely done a botch on it. Tensioer wasn't adjusted, and I just found this when I was pulling the rocker cover off to reseal it

IMAG0201-1.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

sparkplug on number 2 is totally submerged

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
oh dear, guessing it is going to need new spark plugs.

Surprised it wasnt already misfiring with that much oil on them, the carbon in the oil allows the spark to track down the outside of the plug, can actually knacker the leads too if left long enough.

Clio 172 Cup
Glad someone who knows what they are talking about is looking at the car. Shows you that some garages can't be trusted, i knew they wouldn't do the timing belt properly. I have not even driven it yet as going to be a trackday car but thought i best get it checked first before i take it on track. So glad i listened to peoples advice on this forum to get it checked over first.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its routine stuff if you do a lot of them, but most garages havent seen one any time recently and dont realise how important it is to seal the cam cover down and line the pulleys exactly etc.