ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Securing a sub

Nissan Jewk
Naturally I don't want my sub sliding around all across the boot, any ideas how to prevent this? Can't really secure it to anything, was thinking of a non-slip mat from halfrauds....? :S

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
how and where do u get the wires to the sub lol, im thinking of getting one but aint gotta clue how to do it?

Da

Less
Dink said:
a 10-15kg weight travelling at 30mph has a fair amount of kinetic energy
again true, but when it's pressed up against the rear bench it aint gonna go far... i'm sure most people have something of similar weight in the boot, loose, and not secured in any way.

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
i know all of the extreme clio fanatic will **** me off for saying this becaus it is supposed to sow you down but what the hell. i put a half inch mdf board under my boot carpet and then screwd the amp down to that/amps. and then screwed an empty box to it and the sub into box. the screws go threw the carpet all look normal and doesnt move an inch, if the wood is the size of the boot or near as damm it.

Nissan Jewk
I've actually got an MDF boot floor and MDF sides for the boot, haven't put them in yet.....

Maz

LY 200
Mine is secured on some sort of wood cut out to the same shape as my boot and covered in that black carpet stuff .. never slides around and easy to lift out .. :)

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
i think it is the best way because if you need boot space i.e airport runs you just disconnect power and rca and take the wood out with everything on it.

J

jamesy

velcro pads or screws with a bit of sealent so not to loose any pressure but ideally you need a false floor;)

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
make a bracket and bolt it to something like you seat bolts ? wires are easy to do, just run them all down the edge of the carunder the plastic lips next to the carpet! power into engine goes through the little gromit behind and under your glovebox and phono leads and remote wire....just tape them together and send them behind back of your stereo.

i've found putting power and phono leads down same side dont make a difference and i'm running megga RMS

muz

big fat japanese bus
bolt it to the floor. @You think it can't go anywhere? It will come through your seats in a head on crash. THink how little a small toolbox weighs in relation to a sub then watch the 5th gear where they crash head first and the tool box comes through the back seats and into the cabin

Scares the hell out of me !!

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
Not to sure it was on talk audio but someone had a rear end crash at like 30 mph and his sub that was velcro'd down came through into the back seats, if it had been any faster or a head on he wud or front passenger badly injured. If ure keeping it velcro'd wenever there isnt a rear passenger leave the seat belts done up they will stop it, or jus use a bracket and bolt it down.
;)

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
b3nje said:
make a bracket and bolt it to something like you seat bolts ? wires are easy to do, just run them all down the edge of the carunder the plastic lips next to the carpet! power into engine goes through the little gromit behind and under your glovebox and phono leads and remote wire....just tape them together and send them behind back of your stereo.

i've found putting power and phono leads down same side dont make a difference and i'm running megga RMS
no offense but your chatting out of your bum hole i run my system or did in my clio at 400 for the 6x9s i had 4 and wen i put the power downthe opposite side to the phones it didnt mak that stupid whistling noise just nnice and clear music is all i heard.

Polo + Micra
lol my amp must be pulling 130A at full tilt and i have zip tied the phono' to the supply cables and i get no noise at all (they are £20 phono' but nothing special)

99% of the time engine noise is a dodgy earth

E87 118i
I clipped in my rear seat belt...still havent figured how to secure it properly, was thinking about making a bracket the would be screwed to the box and then bolted down with one of th bolts that fasten down that plastic bar at the back of the boot ?

Megane 225 Cup
mines velcro'd down, does the job. And it only taks a jiffy to remove, about 60 seconds i reckon,. (gotta undo the wires :( )

And frankly the way most t***s bolt there sub in, if you have a crash its gonna move anyways.

suzuki ignis sport
i bolted mine through the boot floor but more to stop gits nickin it which happened a year ago but all the same it doesnt go anywhere now!

E87 118i
tullie - any chance you can post a pic of where you bolted it down ? did you drill through the metal ??

suzuki ignis sport
Sorry mate i dont fancy taking all out again but all i did was tap on the floor with something like a centre punch in the left hand back corner of the boot. youll hear a slight change in noise as youll tap a box section dont drill there!!!

Then get someone to push your sub box tight against the inner wheel arch and the back seat so it is a nice tight fit.

And drill, put a nice heffty bolt in with the nut inside the box... sorted!

suzuki ignis sport
if you can wait abit ill take a pic from underneath so you can see where the bolt sits.

i should get it back from the body-shop fri/ sat so ill post one asap!

Punto/Clio GTT
17 mil bolt, bout a 2 n half inch washer and bolt it straight through the floor, aint gonna get nicked either then

E87 118i
thanks tullie would reall lke to see a pic as I want to bolt it down asap. was trying to make a bracket that would be bolted down by one of the bolts that hold the bar at the back of the boot.

Ibiza Cupra TDI
Daz_2427 said:
industrial velcro mate, £5.99 from halfords. Should secure it nicely :cool:

Used velcro in 2 of my previous cars to hold subs down, and it works fine, subs never moved.

Golf V6 4Motion
mate - by far the best thing to do - cheapest, most secure, easy to remove and easy to fit - straps.

car electronics sell them for about a tenner.

like straps of a back pack.... you find near enough the middle and screw through that into the back of your seat, then you simply have one half going over the top and one under the bottom of your sub box - obviously clip together at the front and tighten up. well easy, tidy and can easy remove your sub.