ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seats - Runners / Sub Frames??? Explain please!

Iceberg 172
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a new set of Reclining Bucket Seats (unless I can persuade my gf into thinking another car with fixed buckets is a good idea!). Everytime a set of Recaro's come up for sale it's never a good time for me so after xmas I'm probably going to get a set of these...

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/auto-style-type-reclining-seats-p-895.html

For the money you can't go wrong. If they look naff when I get them I'll stick them on Ebay.

Anyway...

I've not really done much with seats before, so can somebody explain to me what the difference is between a runner and a subframe?

I always thought the seat bolted to the subframe and the subframe bolted to the floor!?

If I was to buy these with the proper subframes but use original runners what would I need to do!? (I don't even know what the runner / subframe looks like on a Clio!).

Could somebody show me a diagram / pics and spell it out simply please!?

330i. E30 Touring.
Pretty much, you bolt the subframe to the car, and then you can bolt the runner to the subframe, meaning you can slide them back and forwards. Helpful if there's more than one driver. You can just bolt the side mounts to the subframe though, meaning it's fixed and slightly lower.

I really wouldn't splash out £450 on those, though.

Get a second hand set of trusted seats, imo.

Golf GTD Mk7
http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/

This company is quite good mate. I'm sure if you ask them what options they have for clios, seats and subframes they might give you a better idea.

Basically, Subframe bolt directly to the bottom of the seat, the runners bolt to that, and then through the floor. Runners are needed so the seat slides as the name might suggest. If you wanted fixed position seats then fixed "runners" would be the way to go, but for a daily car it would be a bit impractical.

Iceberg 172
Hi guys.

I'd like recaros but I'm impatient and never have the cash available when they come up. I know a few guys from other forums who have bought these make of seats and they all love them.

Ideally I'd get a set of Pole Positions but I do occasionally use the rear seats.

This company also sell the Clio matched subframes for the original runners so I'm presuming 1) I don't have to get under the car to fit these and they also have the holes for the original seat belts.

I think they look great and look more supportive than the trophy recaros.

Iceberg 172
So if fitting these to the original runners I'd still have to remove the runners out the car, then attach them to the new seats with the subframes fitted and then fit back in the car!?

Iceberg 172
Now I understand the whole runners / subframes / sidemounts...

With a fixed bucket on sidemounts and runners would they slide forward enough for someone to squeeze in the back?

And is having fixed buckets with STD seatbelts dangerous / gay?

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm sure you need to remove the runner to get to the bolt that hold the subframe to the runners, but don't quote me on that. If you can access them from above then maybe not. There are 5 nuts total on each seat.

If you get fixed seats that slide you might have enough room to squeeze in. Best way to check is slide your normal seats all the way forward and see if you can get in without tilting it.

Seat belts work fine so long as the seats aren't too "buckety". Otherwise you'd need harnesses really, so your back seat access would be null and void anyway. The seats you put up though look like they would be fine with standard belts though.

DCi 100
There like a copy cap Bride Gais!

Like Jonny said ^ seatbelts if they aren't too deep, which you'll be fine with recliner style seats as the have nothing around the hip area.

Iceberg 172
The link I put up are tilting recliners anyway.

But I was looking on capital and the Recaro Furious seats look good and are going to be top quality.

Iceberg 172
There like a copy cap Bride Gais!

Like Jonny said ^ seatbelts if they aren't too deep, which you'll be fine with recliner style seats as the have nothing around the hip area.

Yep! A mate on another forum had the copy gt3 seats and he said the quality is fantastic.

Golf GTD Mk7
You would have to use harnesses with those really. Hard to tell if they woudl fit straight in. Looks like they come with their own runners. I'm sure the subframes could be adjusted to suit the clio runners though.

Golf GTD Mk7
The look ok, but fitting the belts like you mentioned would basically just give you a lap strap :S

Iceberg 172
No!!! I meant can I unbolt the seat belt and feed the bottom through the harness slot! Not the whole thing!

Even I appreciate that would be silly!!!

I've a motordrive bucket in as a drivers seat but use the standard belt as you've suggested here, had to modify the sidemount on the saet buckle side so the pretensior/buckle would bolt up to it nicely. The buckle I run through the inner harness cutout, just have to hold it out of the way when you get in the seat but I use the car everyday and it's fine!

DCi 100
These are extremely similiar seats to the Ktec 'Racing' white Clio that everyone always asked what the seats are. They look good and compared to Brides you can't complain on price.

Iceberg 172
If I was going for fixed seats I'd want the belt going through the door side slot and then have the tensioner just below the handbrake side harness slot so I could slide the buckle through the slot in clip it in.