ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seatbelts not winding back in

ph1 172
My front seatbelts dont retract back in very well and passengers keep nearly shutting them in the door.

Anything i can do?

172cup
^ as above as far as i know.

new units are so not cheap either mate. Gotta be a scrappy job. I needed a new one for my MOT and it cost wayyy over £100 per side... and thats just for 1 spool on the rear!! Fuk knows how much it'll be for the fronts

mine's also doing this and it's annoying. i was going to take the reel off at some point and have a look so see if it's possible to dismantle and adjust it. wondering if the retraction mechanism is a spiral spring and if it might be possible to put another turn on it to increase its tension. does anyone know?

top man; that'd be really handy.
i've fiddled with older reels before but have no idea what the insides of a pre-tensioned one might look like.
do you know where the pyro-charge is? might be a consideration whilst dismantling it

172cup
pyro charge is in the actual plastic assembly that you click the belt into... it activates and pulls the assembly down immediately, therefore pulling your seatbelt tought.

As far as im aware, its just a standard coil tension on the belt reels.

172cup
best i can do mate. Looks like they do have a pyrotechnics charge inside the reel after all. This was taken from the rear, so it may differ on the front, sorry... not as much help as i thought. Can't dismantle it anymore than it is, as there are warning of explosion all over the covers lol.

P10501101600x1200.jpg

P10501121600x1200.jpg

think it might be a new unit needed, as it is impossible to rewind this thing. Like i said, if you are replacing... don't buy new if it can be helped, they are a ridiculous price

that was quick! thanks a lot for that; does seem that new reels are going to be the simplest answer

ed. thinking on, if that's the rear belt, may be there isn't a second charge in the front system (as you say); will have a look at some point anyway

apols to tim124 for my interruption

Last edited:
on reflection, i guess the front belts are also going to have charges to retract the diagonal, whereas that in the clip must be for the lap portion of the belt. ah well

PH1 172 Sport
Its worth giving them a good clean as mine used to stick a bit but after a good wash they are fine now.

fabia vrs
Glad im not the only one with this problem !! The miss keep's moaning about shuting them in the door !!! Then i get the 'if you had a C2 like me...' :dapprove:

PH1 172 Sport
Well worth trying to clean them. I just used autoglym interior shampoo. Just give them a good scrub. Its amazing what a layer of grime on the belts will do.

Bus w**ker
Try fully extending the belt to it's furthest point and then attack it as close to the reel itself on both sides of the actual belt with WD40. Then let the belt coil back and bit and pull it out to its furthest point again. Repeat that a couple of times.

Worked for me, and no I've not ended up with WD40 all over me or my clothes lol.