ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seat Harness

Mini Clubman
Im after some seat harnesses. Which ones do people recommend and where can i get them at a decent price?

cheers

tom

500 Twinair
I was looking at demon tweeks, they have Luke harnesses which look good, around £130 mark, not really sure if thats good for harnesses or cheap, considering they may save your life in an accident?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
how many points??

price will vary so much depending.

check 2nd hand, i got a pair of TRS 3 points for £30!

340i
Don't they have to be DOT approved for MOT?

I thought that...

But my previous car ran some 4 point aero buckle stylie harnesses and that passed fine?!

Although the guy did not seem very clued up, his first words where..

"Cannot pass that mate, you aint got no back seats"

He was adamant the car requires rear seats hahaha :lolup:

TVR Cerbera
I thought that...

But my previous car ran some 4 point aero buckle stylie harnesses and that passed fine?!

Although the guy did not seem very clued up, his first words where..

"Cannot pass that mate, you aint got no back seats"

He was adamant the car requires rear seats hahaha :lolup:

I think it depends on the tester, but legally they have to be dot approved, can also invalidate insurance, however Whiteley has told his insurer of his non-dot but FIA harnesses and they are fine with it!

So as far as that goes, DOT to be totally legal, but no-one gives a crap anyway ! :rolleyes:

340i
That pretty much sums it up....

I don't think people are educated enough to know the difference LOL!

TVR Cerbera
thing is, i'm getting some seats and harnesses in the near future and i'd like 5 point ones, for the crutch anti submarining strap, but i don't want it to fail an mot because of them not being dot approved! and also the dot ones you have to thread your arms through too

500 Twinair
Can you not have the harnesses, but have the standard seatbelts in place, so when mot'ed, you still have ure legal belts. Same for he insurance as well...

500 Twinair
^^^ I know that Inferno on here had his car mot'ed and they said nothing about the harnesses.

Just some information I got from Demon Tweeks that harnesses are sold as one and not in pairs, was not too sure before.

TrackCar & F30 330d
I have 4 point sabelt harnesses, 3" lap & shoulder straps. Apperntly 3" is more comfortable than 2". mine are nice.
Mine were £320 brand new :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Will these pass in my MOT?
DSC01908.jpg

DSC01897.jpg

182 Cup
The part of the harness that causes legality problems is the buckle. Aero style buckles are not strictly legal, but mine passed without any issues.

Most manufacturers produce a harness that has a legal buckle, and the Demon Tweeks catalogue states which are which. As for the picture above - you can't see the buckle!

I'm sure you'd be able to buy a legal buckle for whatever you've got though should the need arrise.

I can't believe rally cars don't have aero buckles.

When I rolled my grass track car with a seat belt style buckle. The car stopped upside down and when I released the buckle because you have to slide your arms into the belt it nearly trapped me agaist the side of the bucket seats. I had to wriggle out. I would always have an aero harness for motor sport now.

TrackCar & F30 330d
The part of the harness that causes legality problems is the buckle. Aero style buckles are not strictly legal, but mine passed without any issues.

Most manufacturers produce a harness that has a legal buckle, and the Demon Tweeks catalogue states which are which. As for the picture above - you can't see the buckle!

I'm sure you'd be able to buy a legal buckle for whatever you've got though should the need arrise.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=SAB901183EPACK

These are what i bought.

182 Cup
Very nice, but not road legal. Don't worry about it though, think you'll be very unlucky if either a police officer or an MOT tester picks up on it.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Very nice, but not road legal. Don't worry about it though, think you'll be very unlucky if either a police officer or an MOT tester picks up on it.

:eek: REALLY!

I genuinly didnt know they wernt road legal. It usually says on stuff that its only for competition use. But it didnt say on these :( might have to find a friendly MOT man in Feb

I THINK if they are FIA approved, then they are not road legal.

I've got exactly the same as you chrispy, only had them a short while but they feel awesome! Quite weird to get used to, as I've been using a belt for my whole life in a car!

EDIT: Mine is due for its MOT in the next week, so I'll let you know if they pass :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
I THINK if they are FIA approved, then they are not road legal.

I've got exactly the same as you chrispy, only had them a short while but they feel awesome! Quite weird to get used to, as I've been using a belt for my whole life in a car!

EDIT: Mine is due for its MOT in the next week, so I'll let you know if they pass :)

My old seatbelts have been taken out and my GF still reaches to her right for the buckel but it not there lol
I've got used to it now but was a bit annoying the other day when i was suppose to be following a mate in his car, He got in and drove off and i was still in the car park getting strapped in. Excactly what happened on Top gear.