ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scufffed Splitter.

Elise S1 B&C 140
As above really scuffed the front of my Ktec carbon splitter against a curb last night. Any advice on polishing out the scuffs. they are reasonably deep in places. :dead:

Gutted.

Golf GTD Mk7
pics of it? You could try polishing it i guess, but not sure if carbon fibre responds too well to that.

Iceberg 172
I did the same on Saturday but since the scuffs are on the underside and you can't see them, b0ll0cks to it :clown:

Elise S1 B&C 140
Yeah ill get some pics up tonight. Think it will need more than a hand polish. Machine polish may work?

Not sure if this is of any help . . . but my splitter is scuffed to fook. I am going to sand it with wet and dry paper and then treat it with a decent back to black . . . !

Golf GTD Mk7
Not sure if this is of any help . . . but my splitter is scuffed to fook. I am going to sand it with wet and dry paper and then treat it with a decent back to black . . . !

Thats an option i guess. Might need a few different grades of paper and go corse to fine. With the carbon fibre, if it has a gloss finish to it, you could try finishing it off with lacquer.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Matte or Gloss Finish? My Gloss Splitter ended up looking completely toss after 25k Miles so now have a Matte Finish one on and I'll see how that fairs upto so many miles of Stone Chips etc.

Elise S1 B&C 140
Yeah its gloss so im going to try giving it a rub down and then Re-clearcoating it and baking it in the oven ill post up pics if it works.

fil_b

ClioSport Club Member
  172 FF and Fabia VRS
carbon normally has a lacquar on top

can try the wet sanding and polish that sanding marks out

Elise S1 B&C 140
How? you must have a huge oven. Not sure what temp carbon fibre copes too.

Work has some mahoosive ovens mate. Not sure id get in the one at home lol. Would have to get it past the missus for a start.

Dunno about temps I will check, but as F1 cars use carbon fibre brakes im sure they can cope with a little heat.

Elise S1 B&C 140
Well had a quick go at reparing it tonight. Will do it again properly at the weekend but wanted to see if it worked in principle.

BEFORE:

Photo-0074.jpg

Pic doesnt really do the scratches justice. They are quite deep.

Sanded back the laquer with P1500 wet and dry, coloured the scratches in with Black permenant marker (a bit crap i know but actaully looks quite good), smoothed and re-laquered.

AFTER:

Photo-0077.jpg

Quite pleased with the results but will do it again over the weekend to neaten things up as this was done in about 20 mins.

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
wow, from the after pic it doesn't look like there was any damage at all. If you didn't know it was there i'm sure you'd miss it. good job mate.

Elise S1 B&C 140
wow, from the after pic it doesn't look like there was any damage at all. If you didn't know it was there i'm sure you'd miss it. good job mate.

Cheers mate :) - yeah pleased with the results, gonna do it again over the weekend though to tidy up as I ran out of laquer.