ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scott's Nimbus Video Thread

Fiesta ST-3
Part 1

This weekend my GoPro Hero 2 arrived so I could start on making a video of the newly purchased Nimbus.

I've alway's had a massive interest in videography but mainly spending my time doing photography I haven't really looked at it.

So I decided that was to change and over the course of the next few months I'm going to be making a 2-3 minute feature length video of the Nimbus. The video will feature still images of the car, on board footage, motion shots and much much more that I can do on a very small scale budget.

I will be using Imovie and Apple Final Cut Pro to do my editing. And capturing my footage with my GoPro Hero 2 and my Nikon D5000 with various lens attachments. Plus anything else I stumble upon or might be recommended.

The purpose of this thread is to document my progress, and of course I have to post my work somewhere. Hopefully week by week the footage quality will get better in time for the final product. So for the first part it's to document my progress with the GoPro.

Anyway enjoy the first trailer.

I would like to stress that speed limits where adhered to at all times, and no dangerous driving was undertaken.

[video=vimeo;32398414]http://vimeo.com/32398414[/video]

Scott.

Megane 225 F1
Nice vid however I don't think seeing you drive was that thrilling ;) Need to see more of the car or the road :)

Bus w**ker
WTF was that music ScottDOT?!?

What settings did you have it on? From the barrel distortion on the wheel shot I'm guessing something very wide. For a first go though it's not bad, get some 60fps slow mo on the go and drop the dodgy processing.

Fiesta ST-3
Yea really wide mate. What you mean dodgy processing? Any good software you would recommend? Also is it the software where I edit the FPS?

Bus w**ker
Yea really wide mate. What you mean dodgy processing? Any good software you would recommend? Also is it the software where I edit the FPS?

As Greggles 'Read the rules' Feirny says you change them on the camera mate, combo of pressing the front button and the power one to work through the menus. Strongly recommend you download and print out the full manual off the GoPro site.

There was some vignetting at points and the white balance and colour temp looked off, thought you'd put in in during processing. Software depends on the OS you're running. Mac then iMovies is the simple and powerful option or Final Cut Pro for the more advanced shizzle. Windows then Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro are the only things I'd touch, you could go with Movie maker but it sucks ass.

Fiesta ST-3
Yea some of the PP was me and tbf Vimeo darkend the video massively. It was all playing with Final Cut Pro on my Mac. Thank's for the tip.

Fiesta ST-3
Part 2

I had a day off work today, so spent the day with my friend Ella up an old WW2 airfield for some shooting. Sadly I had to travel down a s**t covered lane to get onto it but never the less I was happy with the days filming. See below my gear that I used.

I mainly used the D5000 along with 50mm prime, 24-70 F2.8 and my 80mm macro, along with some grad filters and my GoPro.

6384016705_36b997fe6e_b.jpg

IMG_0085 by scott.thomas21, on Flickr

Here is a small clip of things to come.

[video=vimeo;32521131]http://vimeo.com/32521131[/video]

I'm also after some inspiration for music to go with the video. Any recommendations??

Fiesta ST-3
So here are the results of todays efforts. Video only runs to 2:02 after that it's just black, it was an editing error.

Still not great but a marked improvement on the first video. Please let me know your thoughts.

[video=vimeo;32533683]http://vimeo.com/32533683[/video]

Rusty Cup
Its good :) I reckon you need to have periods of much shorter clips. What might look good is 3 or 4 quick images of an area of the car from different angles/distances. Would also be good to fade in some engine sound at some point.

Fiesta ST-3
That's very good mate, does it take much time/effort to make a video like that?

It takes longer than people give credit! For example I did about 3 hrs of filming yday, not all of it is in the video. Then I spent most of last night editing it. And I feel it was rushed so.

Its good :) I reckon you need to have periods of much shorter clips. What might look good is 3 or 4 quick images of an area of the car from different angles/distances. Would also be good to fade in some engine sound at some point.

Yea will be looking to do that, it's hard to get it to the music also but it's all trial and error. Some thing for me to do next time.

Thanks for all the comments and input guys.

Scott - Where did you get your GoPro from?

I've fancied one for a little while, and with Christmas coming up, I fancy one even more..!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Great effort mate. Here's a tip, when you're going from out of focus to focus, when you're filming start with the car in focus and just reverse in editing. It just makes it that little bit smoother.

I need to do some more video stuff, still need to finish (start) making a gliderail!

Fiesta ST-3
Great effort mate. Here's a tip, when you're going from out of focus to focus, when you're filming start with the car in focus and just reverse in editing. It just makes it that little bit smoother.

I need to do some more video stuff, still need to finish (start) making a gliderail!

Cheers guys. That's a really good point mate. Hadn't thought about it. But now I have and I see the logic.

Fiesta ST-3
Scott - Where did you get your GoPro from?

I've fancied one for a little while, and with Christmas coming up, I fancy one even more..!

Got it on ebay mate from a shop seller. Its the hero 2 so cost £300 but that's including an 8gb memory card.

Good second effort Scott, some of it should be slowed down though, the opening shots are too quick.

Get yourself a fluid video tripod head, and make yourself a cheap gliderail.