ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scotch locks and footwell lights?! Where have I gone wrong.

As title, s***s now beyond me. Bought an led strip with positive and negative wiring.. Popped out the Dome light, got the red and black wires and scotch locked red and red together, black and black together...

Don't work?

Leds works fine, hooked it up to the battery and they fire up.

Wtf is going on? I've scotch locked the wires twice just incase I didn't do it right the first time. Now I have 4 scotch locks locked onto wires in the dome light like a nob -.-

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You've used scotch locks.

I'd have just gone straight onto the copper contacts on the back of the interior light. But then I have a soldering iron, which makes things easier. That gives you the advantage of being able to control your LED footwell lights with the interior light.

If possible use in line crimps, rather than scotch locks.

You've used scotch locks.

I'd have just gone straight onto the copper contacts on the back of the interior light. But then I have a soldering iron, which makes things easier. That gives you the advantage of being able to control your LED footwell lights with the interior light.

If possible use in line crimps, rather than scotch locks.

Yeah I placed the wires on the copper plates and they still fire up then. So it's the scotch locks that's messing my life up. I am right in thinking that the black and red wires in the dome light are the actual ones I need to tap into though?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I can't remember the colours off the top of my head. If you look at the contacts on the back of the interior light unit, then you'll be able to work it out. The connector that goes straight to both bulbs is the neutral, the one that goes to the switch's central connection is only live when the doors are opened, and the one that goes to each tilted switch position is the perma live. Follow them back to the connector and you should be able to tell which colour wire that relates to.