ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scenic shifter with or without quickshift?

I've just bought a Scenic shifter, and I'm not quite sure if I should add a quickshift or not as I don't want to reduce the life on my syncros.
Please tell me what you think and/or what are your experiences.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Try it without and see how you get on with the throw. You'll probably have to bend it back a bit so it's not further away than the standard shifter.
I've got a quick shift on mine and so far so good. It's a 15% reduction which is supposed to just cancel out the extra length of the lever. Yanoo does a 10% one too which would probably be more like it I think.

I've removed my original gear lever, and it looks like a stiff shift will transform the gear changes. ?

Problem for me with the quick shift, is that I don't understand how it will affect the syncros. To be honest, I don't have a clue how a gearbox works. :whistle: Will they normally do 100.000 km's, and 50.000 with the quick shift and not affect reliability? Or will it just break down if I shift to fast/hard? Bear in mind, this is a track only car, I use it hard, and I don't want to be scared to break the box. If it goes, it goes, but I don't want to do things that weaken the box in a way it can go any minute. But since this is a track only car, I hardly do any miles in it, so if the quick shift reduces life from say 100.000 to 50.000, that's fine by me. Who can comment on this?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Unfortunately I’ve never had any dealings with a scenic shifter. The ones I’ve seen are modified to copy the original shifter lever, so you may need to use a short shift pin.

Surely its just how fast the gears engage, so even if you had a throw of an inch and changed gear really slow, it would be exactly the same as a foot and slamming them.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
As the quick shift compensates for the extra throw of the scenic lever it shouldn't have any adverse effect on the syncros. The gearbox is still made of chocolate and can die at any moment so especially as its a track car with a lot less use than a road car I'd go for it. I expect your fitting a scenic shifter to make the reach better while strapped in?

Yes exactly. Just to get it closer to the steering wheel. I've found one for 8 Euro's. :LOL:
And because I had some problems with getting the gearbox into 4th sometimes, I figured it would be time to refresh the linkage.

I know how both ends look, but I still haven't got a clue what you mean. :giggle:

My Scenic shifter arrived today.

360.jpg

It's 8 cm's taller, and travel from 3rd to 4th is only 1 cm longer.
Also note that the Clio has a bend in it original, and the Scenic one is straight.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Don't know if still a useful reply, anyway I got too a scenic stick, I fitted mine with the yanoo stiff shift kit. I Tried it with the short shift and with oem rod but I prefer without short shift. On mine the throw is quite short and feels great!
Beside the stiff shift I only bended the scenic stick to get a nice reach as desired.

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Thanks, nice reply. I still need to fit it. I've ordered the stiff shift kit and the short shifter together, so I have my options open.
I've took the same decision at that time, you'll find how nicely built is the kit. Really loved it! Only thing I had to do was a bit of honing on the brass bushes, a bit too tight leaving the lever movement like on a brake, but after some honing and testinf I've found a nice balance, super stiff zero play movement. (I also have the ktec lower racing engine mount that keeps the lever from moving at all)

Clio 172 + Clio200T
I bet you'll be really pleased about it.
Once adjusted correctly it feels fery nice, I had to get used to it coming from a sloppy movement to a precise and harsh one.
Do you have any dogbone engine mount hard bushing or something? I suggest to add to the list, keeping the engine/gearbox from rotating under torque load is a great addition to shifting precision on the mk1/2 because of the lever action that suffers from thst movement

Clio 172 + Clio200T
Should be fine! From my experience what change the most about gear stick movement is the dogbone! so if you've powerflexed it then it should be firm enough!

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi guys, best thread I could find to ask this question sorry.

I've got a Scenic shifter sat in the shed and have plans to buy the Yanoo 3.0 kit to go with it when funds allow.

My gearchange as it is isn't bad at all plus it has a nice carbon thing on the standard shifter which I'd like to keep. I can't help but think if I fit the Scenic shifter it's going to spoil the looks somewhat as it looks really clean and neat at the moment. I would like a slightly taller shift but it's not the end of the world if I don't, getting rid of some of the slop is defintely something I'd like to improve though.

Is it worth investing in just the Yanoo bush kit and keeping the OEM shifter, or should I fit the Scenic shifter seen as I have it there anyway?

Cheers

Clio 172 + Clio200T
The Yanoo is a well designed and built kit for improving the precision of the shifter.
I think it can work good even with everything stock, especially if you have a worn out shifter ball (which is pretty common). But I personally think it gives the best with a longer lever because it gives you many more benefits..and since you already have.. why not?
On mine I retained the oem booth, simply fixing it on the lower part of the Scenic "syringe" part. And I think it doesn't look bad at all.
For a look more like the original in terms of proportions.. The best would be a v6 centre console which has a higher centre part to fix the boot.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The Yanoo is a well designed and built kit for improving the precision of the shifter.
I think it can work good even with everything stock, especially if you have a worn out shifter ball (which is pretty common). But I personally think it gives the best with a longer lever because it gives you many more benefits..and since you already have.. why not?
On mine I retained the oem booth, simply fixing it on the lower part of the Scenic "syringe" part. And I think it doesn't look bad at all.
For a look more like the original in terms of proportions.. The best would be a v6 centre console which has a higher centre part to fix the boot.
Hi Kurai

Thanks very much for your reply, that's good information to have. Yes I may as well put the taller Scenic shifter on seen I've managed to source one as it was a nightmare trying to find one.

Apart from the obvious with the shifter stick being taller than OEM, what other benefits are there in comparison to the standard shifter?

Cheers

Marc