ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav Hardwire **How To**

This guide is for a mk2 clio,mine is specifically on an 02 plate but this can be used as a general guide for other models or any other car as the principals still remain the same.
The lead i am using is a universal molex plug with a fused power and earth cable.I got this form my work place (halfords) but any electrical company should be able to supply them.

1.it is up to you whether you wish to disconnect the battery or fuse whilst hardwiring although i chose not to.

2.remove the ash tray from the compartment infront of the gearstick by opening it and pulling the ash tray only out on its own.

3.remove the rest of the console including the cigarette lighter by pulling at the side nearest to the gearstick,the cupholder etc will then remove and you can gain access to the cigarette lighter.
(This is the best place to take the power feed from,as if the fuse blows it will cause minimal problems but others can be used)
DSC00008.gif

4.feed cable through from where the cigarette lighter is and then pass it through to the driverside footwell.
DSC00010.gif

5.feed the cable above the footwell under the dash and cable tie it to other fixtures and fitting under the dash (make sure not to secure it to any moving parts.i have seen others wired to steering columns!)

6.the earth cable can then be earthed to a secure site which is part of the chassis,on my model i used the bolt on the driver side nearest to the door at the bottom of the dash.i used an o-ring to bolt it as its one of the most safest ways to earth it.
DSC00011-1.gif

7.next is to wire the power cable,i used a scotch lock to do this although you can also solder it but do not just twist wires together!once scotch locked i taped it up so its nice and secure.Using a multimeter is the best tool to use to find the power source although a power tester with a bulb in can also tell you which is the power cable to the original cigarette lighter,on my model it was a thick yellow and red one.

DSC00012.gif

once wired up place a 3amp fuse in the fuse holder as all new sat navs have a fuse rating of 1 or 2 amps.i placed the molex plug (cigarette socket) cable tied under the dash so i can now remove my cigarette lighter power cable like i would the normal cigarette lighter so it doesnt have to be left it :y: once all done test it and then refit your dash parts which you removed and hey presto :)

i hope this guide gives you some help
if you wish for any more photos let me know

matt