ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav and Audio Question. HELP!!!

Bye Bye 182....
Im retro fitting a sat nav dash and tv screen into the car with a ps2 and tv tuner. Now what I want to know is how do I link them up to the audio system WITHOUT changing the standard head unit. Just want the front two speakers working for it.

Would I have to have an amp or can I buy an adapter to fit on the back of the standard hu? Its a 04 plate ff 182 btw. Thanks in advance

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
If what you want to do is what I think you mean, then you can't really.

Your screen is the head unit style, with internal amp (speaker wire outputs) and the TV tuner, PS2 etc is running their signals in to that?

Where are the sound signals going from there? You could run speaker wire on to the front speaker wires at the ISO behind the OE head unit (the inside pair on the speaker plug) but then you'd need to disconnect them from the OE head unit...

Bye Bye 182....
ALY said:
If what you want to do is what I think you mean, then you can't really.

Your screen is the head unit style, with internal amp (speaker wire outputs) and the TV tuner, PS2 etc is running their signals in to that?

Where are the sound signals going from there? You could run speaker wire on to the front speaker wires at the ISO behind the OE head unit (the inside pair on the speaker plug) but then you'd need to disconnect them from the OE head unit...

no my screen is the proper sat nav style screen that gets flushed into the dash. It has no audio outs therefor I have to use the audio outs off the tv tuner and the ps2. Thats why I think I will need an amp?

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
You really need a head unit with an auxiliary input facility by RCA, for the PS2 etc. to run through the audio system of the car. That way you hit the source button and hey presto, Tuner, CD & then you're hearing your multimedia stuff. Putting the RCA outputs to an amp then to speakers doesn't give you any control over the sound.

Bye Bye 182....
The problem is I want to keep the original headunit and cd changer. I dont want an aftermarket one in there. Is there no way that I could do something else so I can keep the HU? I am really limited on funds you see.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
Unless your screen has its own speaker built in that you could feed audio signals to and just use that. Otherwise, no chance.

In theory you could wire in an amp and plug the RCA's in to it and hook up some speakers to it, but you'd have no proper control over the sound and you'd have to disconnect the speakers from the head unit too so it isn't really going to work.

Theres always an RF modulator I suppose, use the standard Head Units FM pick up. Haven't wired one in for years so I dunno if they're still on the go and if they're much cop

Bye Bye 182....
So I definitely need to change the HU then? What would you suggest on a VERY limited budget and what am I looking for audio ins?

al

ST on the way...
Like that ^^^

You could get one of those FM transmitters.

Plug your DVD etc into the transmitter and tune your radio into the set frequency, jobs a good un! :)

Last edited:

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
al said:
Like that ^^^

You could get one of those FM transmitters.

Plug your DVD etc into the transmitter and tune your radio into the set frequency, jobs a good un! :)

Great minds think alike, link above :D :D :D

Bye Bye 182....
right so if I buy one of those on that link. Put the ps2 audio outs to it and then tune the standard HU to that frequency it should work?

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
my_cougar49 said:
right so if I buy one of those on that link. Put the ps2 audio outs to it and then tune the standard HU to that frequency it should work?

Dunno about sound quality but yeah, you'd be playing it like listening to an FM radio station & it's not a bank breaker.

If you do plump for a different head unit, something that has an auxiliary input, not just an Aux out is all you'd need and if you can get one with wiring options that keep the column remote working even better. Before I left where I worked with audio, Sony and Kenwood were ahead of everyone on that front. Wasn't yesterday though.

al

ST on the way...
I've got a Sony CDX-MP40 in mine and it works with the steering controls and the screen.

Bye Bye 182....
Thanks guys. Just found some on ebay for pennies so I will have one of them and see what the end result is. Many Thanks for all your help. It means that I can keep the 'standard' look without shelling out loads of money.

Regards

Adam