ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung TV "Gone Bang" - Options?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Anything I can do about this? I'm going to guess no, but it's only just under two years old. Bought from PC world/currys at lakeside.

Is it just a standard 1 year warranty and after that tough titties?

Not mistreated in any way etc. It was just on, then randomly there was a big bang and it's now off. No life at all.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
1 year warranty is b****cks. SOGA would embarrass that in court. What kinda of TV should last 1 year!?

On your issue, it depends how much you're willing to fight it. Is lasting 2 years fit for purpose?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
1 year warranty is b****cks. SOGA would embarrass that in court. What kinda of TV should last 1 year!?

On your issue, it depends how much you're willing to fight it. Is lasting 2 years fit for purpose?
I'm not overly willing, but if it was easy, I'd drop a few emails etc.

Listerine & Poledo
Get an engineer report on what the problem is.
If it can be proved that the fault was one of manufacturing or duff parts, you can aim to get it fixed/replaced by the vendor (got a reciept?) ;)
I did this to Game when my PS3 spat its blu-ray drive after 4 years. Known fault, fixed for nowt

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not overly willing, but if it was easy, I'd drop a few emails etc.

You won't need to tbh. When my LG developed lines down the screen at 3 years old they replaced without any bother for free. They will ask for around £100 deposit until they prove you haven't spilt water down the back of it etc but they will give you that straight back. In your email state when you bought it with a description of the fault and how it developed then stick the following on the bottom and it should be fine.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and match their description. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you provide me with a replacement.

I have attached my original Dixons.co.uk sales receipt in support of my claim.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this email.

Yours sincerely

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
You won't need to tbh. When my LG developed lines down the screen at 3 years old they replaced without any bother for free. They will ask for around £100 deposit until they prove you haven't spilt water down the back of it etc but they will give you that straight back. In your email state when you bought it with a description of the fault and how it developed then stick the following on the bottom and it should be fine.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) goods you supply must be of satisfactory quality, be fit for purpose and match their description. As there was a problem with the goods when I bought them, I request that you provide me with a replacement.

I have attached my original Dixons.co.uk sales receipt in support of my claim.

Please respond within 14 days of receiving this email.

Yours sincerely

I took the advice from @realnumber 1 last year, and I had my 2 year old plasma repaired for free.

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/john-lewis-5yr-warranty.713458/

One phone call to them is all it took. I bought from Currys too.

Thanks a lot for that chaps, where do I stand if I don't have the original sales receipt? But I do have the exact date I bought it (because of a photo).

Can I request a duplicate receipt from PC world?

Thanks a lot for that chaps, where do I stand if I don't have the original sales receipt? But I do have the exact date I bought it (because of a photo).

Can I request a duplicate receipt from PC world?

I didn't have my original receipt, but they had my details on file for the order.

Irrc they charged me a fee to collect the TV, but if it was found to be a manufacture fault they would refund me (which they did).

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I didn't have my original receipt, but they had my details on file for the order.

Irrc they charged me a fee to collect the TV, but if it was found to be a manufacture fault they would refund me (which they did).
I didn't order online, so there willl be no "order" as such?

You think I still have a good chance? Is it worth me calling PC world first to try and get a receipt before going to samsung?

Im sure you could just go to the bank you were/are with and ask about that account. Obviously take ID etc to prove its you. Cant see that being a problem

I didn't order online, so there willl be no "order" as such?

You think I still have a good chance? Is it worth me calling PC world first to try and get a receipt before going to samsung?

When buying instore don't they take your name/address?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
When buying instore don't they take your name/address?
I know they used to, but I can't remember if they did for this purchase.

Anyway, on a lighter note, my impatient housemate took it apart and found a blown up capacitor or resistor I can't remember which.

It's apparently a common fault and a maplins replacement will sort it. So that'll do.

340i
I know they used to, but I can't remember if they did for this purchase.

Anyway, on a lighter note, my impatient housemate took it apart and found a blown up capacitor or resistor I can't remember which.

It's apparently a common fault and a maplins replacement will sort it. So that'll do.

My Samsung has started dieing... screen turning off and a 'crackle' noise when trying to come back on.

After some research I found Samsung skimped on the capacitor quality on the main power board for a range of older models, they start to swell and eventually pop.

You can strip down and replace them like you've said.. I need to find out which of mine have failed.