ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Samsung LED Slim TV

dk

911 GTS Cab
anyone got one of these?

Just been in to comet and they look absolutely amazing!

They are sooooooo thin and the colours and picture look amazing, the blacks are very black too.

8986605x.jpg

Samsung Series 7 7020 46" UE46B7020

Must say, I was set on the Sony 52" w5500 but this hs changed my mind. Would be looking at the 46" for £1500, but i can't see anything that can better it at the moment.

Even has DNLA and can take a usb drive to play mkv's on etc.

Also uses very little energy so i am saving the world ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
they have a big line up of all the sizes in comet, bit of a feature and they just look amazing, and the picture is the best i have seen on any large screen ever, it really is good.

I'm a sony man as most know, but i've had a samsung 32" LCD tv for over 3 yrs now and i can't fault it, its not had any issues whatsoever and still looks amazing now, its just not 1080p and will be too small for my living room, so its staying in the bedroom in the new place, need a central attraction for the living room though and i think this might be it. Not even going to wall mount it, i wanna show off how thin it is when people come around, i was shocked, its like a laptop screen lol.

Evo 6, E92 320d
I saw one in comet t'other day, cant remember the make, think it was panasonic, and yes it looked fantastic. Although the woman said to wait as the new z series was out soon which is 600hz?!

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
If you hop on to avforums.com there's loads a people who have it or are waiting for it to arrive. Have red a few reviews that say its okay, but not that good over normal size screens.... Although sounds like Samsung are going in the right direction imho.

Better than yours. C*nt.
It has to be said, on occasion you have the hots for some utter shite.

This isn't one of those occasions. I <3 that.

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer
i was in currys the other day watching harry potter in blu-ray the picture was amazing. i was shocked at how good it was.

Mini JCW
Colours are still far too unrealistic IMO, far too washed out, not a natural colour palette at all.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Colours are still far too unrealistic IMO, far too washed out, not a natural colour palette at all.
eh, you talking about this set as i thought the total opposite, colours were very lifelike, as good as it gets on a tv tbh.

The only thing better than this at the moment for colours is OLED, and they are £1500 for 11" so thats out!

I saw one of these in the shops a week or so ago. Hard to judge. It looked fantastic in the shop, which led me to believe that the contrast levels would have to be far, far lower in the home. What's the major benefit over plasma? Thickness is moot for me, as I don't hang my s**t on a wall and don't want to. Better blacks, better colours?

Mini JCW
eh, you talking about this set as i thought the total opposite, colours were very lifelike, as good as it gets on a tv tbh.

The only thing better than this at the moment for colours is OLED, and they are £1500 for 11" so thats out!

Yes I am

These LET sets are in their infancy and as with all new technology it take a few generations to get the image right.

Compared to a plasma the colours are really unlifelike - skin tones are either an angelina jolie white or a david dickinson orange, just not quite refined enough for me tbh. Also they doin't hanlde motion all that well, motion smearing FTL.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I saw one in comet t'other day, cant remember the make, think it was panasonic, and yes it looked fantastic. Although the woman said to wait as the new z series was out soon which is 600hz?!

The new panasonic plasmas with the neo dp screens are 600hz.

The G10, G15, V10 and Z series plasmas all have the neo dp panels

(I'm not a tv geek btw, just looking for a new one atm so been reading up lol)

I was/am tempted by the 40inch samsung led but I think a Panasonic plasma is still our first choice at the mo, the V10 is looking good...

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yes I am

These LET sets are in their infancy and as with all new technology it take a few generations to get the image right.

Compared to a plasma the colours are really unlifelike - skin tones are either an angelina jolie white or a david dickinson orange, just not quite refined enough for me tbh. Also they doin't hanlde motion all that well, motion smearing FTL.
well the samsung is already on its 3rd generation, so i'd say thats not bad, the 6000, then the 7000 and last week the 8000 was released, available at comet.

they are 100 hz and i think the 8000 might be 200hz, i didn't detect any motion blur.

according to avforums they are great for gaming, very fast response, and have amazing contrast and blacks. plasma has its issues, now led has solved the black issue theres less of a reason to go for them.

Can I ask, have you actually seen the samsung 7000 in action or just going by 3rd party info?

Oh and it's LED;)

@roy, better colours, blacks, contrast and use a hell of a lot less power. Basically it has the best of both worlds from plasma and lcd with being thinner and using less power.

like i said, the 8000 series is out now, maybe the 9000 series before the year is out.

Mini JCW
well the samsung is already on its 3rd generation, so i'd say thats not bad, the 6000, then the 7000 and last week the 8000 was released, available at comet.

they are 100 hz and i think the 8000 might be 200hz, i didn't detect any motion blur.

according to avforums they are great for gaming, very fast response, and have amazing contrast and blacks. plasma has its issues, now led has solved the black issue theres less of a reason to go for them.

Can I ask, have you actually seen the samsung 7000 in action or just going by 3rd party info?

Oh and it's LED;)

@roy, better colours, blacks, contrast and use a hell of a lot less power. Basically it has the best of both worlds from plasma and lcd with being thinner and using less power.

like i said, the 8000 series is out now, maybe the 9000 series before the year is out.

I agree they are a major improvment and tbh by the time the tech is perfected we will be on OLED anyway;)

Oh and compare them to a Pio 9G Kuro and you will see why I prefer plasma;). True life blacks, amazingly natural colour range, not as 'sharp' as LCD screens suffer from, just years ahead of any current LCD tech. Shame they ceased production :dapprove:

dk

911 GTS Cab
I agree they are a major improvment and tbh by the time the tech is perfected we will be on OLED anyway;)

Oh and compare them to a Pio 9G Kuro and you will see why I prefer plasma;). True life blacks, amazingly natural colour range, not as 'sharp' as LCD screens suffer from, just years ahead of any current LCD tech. Shame they ceased production :dapprove:
oled is a long way off though at the moment, far too expensive and they can't make them reliably big enough.

i've watched the sony oled, and while its amazing, most HD pictures will look good at 11"!!!!

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo

Probably because pioneer have a trick up their sleeve?

Clio 182
I have the samsung LED TV and all i can say is the picture quality is amazing the only let down is the sound, with the tv being so thin the speakers are rear facing in the back so the sound is a little tinny, you do get use to this and after a while you dont notice it but the picture quality makes up for this, even SD pictures look great.

Darrell

Trophy #267
samsungs have traditionally had poor speakers, but then who uses the tv speakers when 5.1 amps are to had :D

dk

911 GTS Cab
indeed, no point in having an amzing tv and no surround sound, both as important as each other.

I haven't heard my built in speakers for a couple of years now.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Aren't oled's out yet Tom?

Seen the panasonic 600hz my god! a machine!

He's got a point.

Someone saw my tv the other day and ignored the size of it and launched what I found a very upsetting attack because my tv is about 4 inches thick.

I couldn't sleep after that.

It might look great, but is it really worth spending all that cash because its thin?

3 x Renaults + Lexus
expect large screen 40+ above 1-2 years or about 4-5years before most ppl can afford them...

However Samsung have a 30" coming out soonish

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Was just thinking that they were small ones I seen in the T3 mag.

I know my work collegue was trying to hold out and get one but went for a 50" samsung looks pretty good, bit big for his livingroom imo tho.

Ibiswhite Audi S3 8P
Got a panasonic g10 here, and i am well chuffed with it. Would have preferred a pioneer but couldn't justify the premium price.
As far as I know, the samsung "LED" sets are LCD screens with LEDs that provide partial backgroundlightning to keep the blacks black (not grey etc.). But I have heard that local dimming LEDs are the way to go for (like in the Sony X-series). And even those have some issues when it comes to a black sky with stars against it. The screen "swallows" some stars. And never spits them out again.