ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ' Lotus Elan

53 Clio's & counting
I was offered this car from a member off the Lotus forum for a price I simply couldn't turn down,so yesterday I made the 7 hour round trip (Thanks to the M6 being closed where we wanted to go :mad: ) to collect my next Lotus :)

After a long, dark (And wet :eek: ) trip home, I am now the proud owner of 'IP5' - The car is G394 KEX, As some of you may notice the reg number is 3 numbers before the original red press car (G397 KEX). My car was one of the very last pre production cars and was used for some of the final bits of durability testing (Lotus used 9 cars as final testing cars, which they took off the production line, all called IP 1-9); the archivist at Lotus confirmed that one weekend it drove to Rome and back and has been featured in a few magazines/press releases for press photos etc.

The good bits:

Undamaged S2 hood
Hi Spec 4 pot brake conversion
S2 galvanised wishbones all nice and clean and rust free
Refurbished “Opera” headlights
Intact A pillar seals

The only modifications it has are:

The 4 pots
Braided brake hoses
Stainless rear silencer
K&N panel filter

Ben has really taken care of it - it needs a little tidying in places but for a 23 year old Lotus it's in fantastic condition - a real credit to him :)

So what's it like?

Well so far I have driven it the 3 hours home, to work and back (24 mile round trip) and since the Sun has been out I popped for a trip around my local back roads - the car is such good fun! They are always compared to an Elise, which is unfair as it really is a different cars.

It has very neutral handing, good feedback (Not really surprising being a Lotus) but the engine is the real surprise - yes it's laggy, but it's an 80's turbo motor so no surprise there, but once above 3000 rpm it really flys and sounds fantastic, with the combination of a stainless exhaust and wastegate chatter.

Plans are to continue with what Ben was doing - keeping it up together, tidying and generally making it as a nice example as possible.

If you are interested, the history of the Elan is quite interesting, I will dig out the link later and link it here - it has the full history of the Elan and it reveals a whole lot of info!

20130818_130416_zps8cd9a006.jpg

20130818_130422_zps20d6c5f5.jpg

20130818_130429_zps099882c3.jpg

20130818_130436_zps74273f07.jpg

20130818_130450_zps87c3b863.jpg

20130818_143529_zps2066cb34.jpg

20130818_162141_zps52e47429.jpg

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome little car mate, is this not the same thing hammond was in in the classic british sports car episode of top gear?

had a rare white one (or my GF did ) when they were first out , nice car at the time , but i wonder what i would think of one now ....

53 Clio's & counting
Pure awesome. I hope you paid very little for it though, or at least what it's worth in parts ;)

You know me ;)

Nice car. good to see you the other night mate.

Great to see you too fella, must catch up again soon :)

Nice, looks tidy in the pics too :).

It is mate :)
​that they do ...... like a sieve ... ... way worse than my elise and that was pretty terrible .

It's not bad - it leaks along the rear edges of the door glasses but a bit of adjustment should solve that - it is bone dry everywhere else :)

Rocket 3,CB-1,Yaris
Awesome absolutely love these, I will have one when I get a double garage, cannot live outside for fear of leaking.

Gonna stick an everest chip on???

It's not bad - it leaks along the rear edges of the door glasses but a bit of adjustment should solve that - it is bone dry everywhere else :)

often comes in at the top of the screen pillar and then at speed splashes into your face ...... though your car by now may have had that solved

53 Clio's & counting
Awesome absolutely love these, I will have one when I get a double garage, cannot live outside for fear of leaking.

Gonna stick an everest chip on???

I'm not sure if it has already been chipped mate, the boost gauge shows close to a bar of boost (somewhere around 0.8-0.9 bar) which would indicate it has been chipped, but i'm not putting a load of trust in a 23 year old Lotus gauge lol - you can download something called elanscan which is basically an RS Tuner equivalent for Elans, so will get that and see what boost it is actually reading

Fantastic Russ. Truly fantastic. A real British classic.

Thanks mate, agree :)

Epic cars and a cracking example.

Cheers dude

OMG yes, so cool it hurts. Pop up headlights are king.

I was born in '81 so suits me well lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome little thing Russ. My Boss had a White then a Silver one of these when he was younger. Loved them.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
There was one if these for sale at a local classic car auction a few weeks ago.. Looks similar to yours.. Where you get it from russ?

WRX
Any chance of a trim and highlights Saturday?:cry:
Nah just joking mate, big Lotus fan so a big like from me.

Suzuki Jimny
Love them.

Saw the updates on facebook from Rich, sounds like it was a journey from hell getting there and back!

53 Clio's & counting
Awesome little thing Russ. My Boss had a White then a Silver one of these when he was younger. Loved them.

Yeah mate they are great, old but good fun

There was one if these for sale at a local classic car auction a few weeks ago.. Looks similar to yours.. Where you get it from russ?

This was a member off the owners club mate, wasn't actually advertised

Ooft - get in there. Now that is old-school cool! :cool: Nice one, Russ!

Cheers mate, you can have a drive x

Very cool! Didn't realise these were turbo'd.

Yeah, most were mate, they did an N/A version but only about 160 were sold

You'd of been mad not to, bargain!

Knowzit ;)

Any chance of a trim and highlights Saturday?:cry:
Nah just joking mate, big Lotus fan so a big like from me.

Short back and sides sir? :D

Love them.

Saw the updates on facebook from Rich, sounds like it was a journey from hell getting there and back!

T'was mate, f**king nightmare! M6 closed in one direction, plus crashes, lorrys shedding loads, cars on fire - took us twice as long as it should have