ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ 16v's Cup Road Racer Blog.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
two Sabelt race 4 point harnesess with quick release

IMG_2043.jpg

IMG_2044.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
few more pics of half the cage being sparyed

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

you can just see a few more pipes in the bin LOL (i will use these)

IMG_2035.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172

here’s a few sneak peaks of the custom dash.

basically I am using the old dash as the base of the mould for the carbon fibre. so I’m just in the process (30 f-in hours of making the mould)

1. so started buy taking my dash and removing the airbag.

2. I then cut the dash down first I made a cut to remove the glove box using the grinder.

3. then I cut off the drivers end where the storage tray is and the dimmer switch etc.

4. on both cuts I have left the top half of the dash on where the vents are for the windscreen.

IMG_2012.jpg

5. then I trimmed up the edges and made nice smooth curves and remove all sharp edges.

5. now it was time to remove the radio surround and vents from the centre console, these are plastic welded in....so got the gas torch and melted the welds whilst pulling the vents.

-----------------------

6. then I popped to IKEA and picked up a thick bed sheet and with my trusty stapler gun hooked up to the new compressor I cut the fabric to size to cover the top dash.

7. then whilst holding one side tight I tacked the fabric along the back of it, ensuring I get no lumps or folds!

IMG_2014.jpg

8. Next then I began to pull the fabric very tight and a smooth as possible whilst stapling it on the front side.

IMG_2013.jpg

9. with the whole thing covered I then set on making the contour lines round the barnacle etc... basically just held the fabric down whilst using the airgun to tack it round forming the shape.

IMG_2015.jpg

10. now just need to pull the fabric on the underside leaving nice edges and tacking and trimming it from the underside.

woohooo.

next I mixed up some Polly resin mixed with 2% catalyst, covered the fabric with two layers and left it to set hard.

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

11. Next up was now to pop to b&q and grab a tube of arroldite (sp) and glue and screw the top and lower dash together, left this to set over nite.

12. Then i took more of the fabric and started the 3 hour process of covering the center of the dash making smooth lines etc, the fabric is a great way of doing this as you and form anyshape.

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

SEE THE DANGEROURS STAPLES?

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

13. then next i took to making the extentions of the dash making a wooden frame and covering it in fabric again making smooth flow of material using the air gun. The frame took around 2 hours to get rite and to form the rite shape.

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

14. with all the fabric trimed up i make sure a “bump” or “rise” had been make to cover the brack on the passenger side bracket on the rail.. see pic.

15. again then i took the Polly resin and layed it with two coats all over the new racer dash mould. This set nice and hard but still as this is the mould i wanted to cover it in chop strand matt and a futher two coats or resin.

IMG_2057-1.jpg

Now this set super ridgid which is great as now all i need to do is cover it in body filler and then flat it down nice and smoth....then two coats of laqur.

16.ill update some pics when i make the dash off this mould.....

M

mini-valver

I made a boot build for a mate doing that, turned out mint but took ages filling and sanding. When you've covered it in matting give it a THICK coat of just resin and hardener, it make filling much easier and quicker to get smooth and flat....

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
so you're taking a mould of the thing above, then laying the carbon into that?

yer im making a fibreglass female mould from that.

then putting relase agent inside that mould

then laying that upwith 3 coats of gel coat

then laying the carbon fibre twil down when its tacky

then weting the fibre out with 2 layers of epoxy resin

then removing the carbon fibre from the inside mould

then wet sanding any defects

polish up then i have a carbon fibre billit dash

Lionel Richie
what release agent are you going to use? i would only use 2 coats of clear gelcoat, 3 is excessive (it can always be clear laquered later)

80MPG BEEZA
lol alot of work for carbon fibre mate! im just going for fibreglass custom dash in black alacantara much easier :)

80MPG BEEZA
oh i just attacked some of the tar removed areas with intensive tar remover and they've came up a treat!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
just had a thought for ben and batman with the serious weight removal:

your both happy to do a lot of work with your cars, would it not help weight if you cut out the spare wheel well, welded in some 3mm plate flat then sprayed it etc?

just had a quick after dinner thought!

80MPG BEEZA
thought about that mate i just cant be bothered i have however took the bolt away that the spare wheel fastens down to! ;)

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
dude whats the score with the carbon dash? are you gona keep the moulds, i can foresee a few people wanting the same ;)

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
Just re-read all 390 posts and no-one has asked you why your staying with the 172 exhaust manifold rather than sticking a 182 one on...

Tangoed Works
172 mani better for top end poke I would have thought. 4-1 generally is. 4-2-1 for better mid range torque.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Update. Sorry not done too much as I am in the middle of opening a new office.

but here is a few pictures etc;

I have been concentrating on the weight loss side of things, first up was all the sound proof tar like substance. this is awful stuff and was an issue to remove.

you can see it in this pic, (the greay stuff)

car058.jpg

first I tried to freeze it and then use a hammer and chisel to nock it off, this took ages and just seemed to dint the steel and make a mess!
So nipped to Wickes (there open until 8.30) and picked a heat gun and a wall paper scraper.

IMG_2042-1.jpg

basically heated up the tar with he gun and tried to keep the temp up whilst scrapping the tar from the body work! the fumes were awful after about 4 hours I had removed all the tar from the car. (I left it inside the rear arch as I didn't want to burn the paint)

part4070.jpg

part4071.jpg

part4067.jpg

part4068.jpg

part4066.jpg

part4072.jpg

part4081.jpg

the weight of this stuff is unbelievable! it filled two carrier bags from the inside and from behind the scuttle panel! stuck it on the scales ............14kgs! you can see one o the bags on this pic where the handle is almost being pulled off!

part4130.jpg

Nipped to machine mart again ;)

grabbed two cutting and one grinding disk for my grinder and set about cutting all the bits of steel that are no longer needed.

rear seat mounts (lower)

part4079.jpg

part4078.jpg

rear seat mounts (side)

part4075.jpg

part4074.jpg

all screws and mounting plates from dash

part4080.jpg

part4077.jpg

rear upper seat mount and clips

part4073.jpg

the boot brackets (where the plastic mounts too)

part4092.jpg

part4093.jpg

the spare wheel bolt and mounting bracket.

part4090.jpg

then with my socket set and pliers I removed all the unwanted bolts from the seat belts (the big black m10 ones) and other interior fixings. then I removed all the plastic lugs and any foam, fixings etc I could!

Also removed the interior lights and mountings, cut the loom back for them too.

total save = 4.2 kgs

next on the heat save will be the big composite pad on the roof! By the looks of things there is about 2kgs there too. Just not sure how to remove it ?

lift number 1 @ btm
i think you can soften the tar with solvents ben. i had a can of petrol leak on the way to a trackday, and the tar gear in the boot was soft for a few days after that. might be easier than the heat gun?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Next up was too sort out these bloody mounts for the cage!!

As they don’t supply you with anything you need to fabricate them up. As the middle legs are about 6inchs too small. Popped down to GAP steel in Warrington and picked up some high strength 3 mm steel plating.

So I measured the middle mounts up, I went for a box section design and just put a spot of weld on each corner to enable me to form the shape.

part4096.jpg

part4095.jpg

Then once I knew they would fit I took to seem welding all the joints to give good strength.

part4097.jpg

part4099.jpg

I made these two pillar mounts for both sides and am very impressed with there strength.

part4101.jpg

Next I needed to make two mounts for the floor pan where the cage runs in front of the dash. Again I took my 3 mm steel cut the plates to size, smoothed any rough edges with the grinder and made a duplicate plate for the other side.

part4108.jpg

Now needed to make two more plates for where the cage mounts between the rear arches, cut two steel plates up and tidied the edges up.

Just two more to make for where the cage mounts to the floor above the axel. As the floor is a crazy shape I had to basically;

measure the steel to size

part4110.jpg

Then draw the contour out on the plate to the shape of the floor

Cut that shape out

part4111.jpg

Put a tack of weld on it and bend it to the angle of the floor

part4112.jpg

Then weld it up and dress the weld!.

So with all the plates made I took my trusty grinder and grinded all the primer off where I needed to mount them to the car. And also had to cut through that mastic substance which covers Renaults shocking welds!

part4109.jpg

part4104.jpg

part4105.jpg

Then took to mounting each plate to the car with the mig welder.. 3 hours later and job finished!

part4107.jpg

part4119.jpg

part4117.jpg

part4118.jpg

part4120.jpg

part4115.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Now back to the dash.

Last time I had left it where basically that dash had two layers of chop strand matt and resin.

IMG_2057.jpg

Popped to the local motor factors and picked up a BIG tub of Upol body filler

part4128.jpg

and some sand paper.....lots of it

part4127.jpg

Mixed it up and covered the whole dash in and left for 24 hours to dry.

This stuff sets like concrete and is sooooo hard to sand down ( I put it on to thick.. my bad)

But anyway I am about 40% way though it as I want this to be 100% perfect!

Here are a few pics.

part4124.jpg

part4123.jpg

part4121.jpg

Look a this small mountain of dust and filler! I had to wear my respirator as the dust was killing my lungs!

part4122.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
some new presents for this week..

20 meters by 1250 mm roll of 200gsm carbon fibre weave (2x2)
soooooo exensive LOL

part4205.jpg

part4204.jpg

Ally checker floor plates for the front (weigh about 2grams LOL)

part4126.jpg

part4125.jpg

340 FTLB impact wrench for the compressor and a full set of high strengh impact sockets deep and shallow

part4082.jpg

Tin top metla drilling bits,. these are very good quality and should last for about 5 cuts each :D

4 ltrs of acitone for the resin on the carbon fibre!

part4131.jpg

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
delivery....

custom kevlar suzukas...

IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

ohhh there sooo nice. but unfortuanlty i have sold them :( as i have bought the carbon fibre Evolutions .. in the same fabric and logo etc

gotta wait until next week for them

Last edited:
how can you tell LOL!

it was more the angle that was the issue. wana weld it for me?

The blobby wide welds and the heat distorsion... what settings were you using for 3mm plate?

Don't get me wrong, i'm craptastic at it; but thats why im getting a professional to fit my cage as I wouldnt trust anyone who wasn't to weld something that is there to prevent me from serious injury

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
how can you tell LOL!

it was more the angle that was the issue. wana weld it for me?

The blobby wide welds and the heat distorsion... what settings were you using for 3mm plate?

Don't get me wrong, i'm craptastic at it; but thats why im getting a professional to fit my cage as I wouldnt trust anyone who wasn't to weld something that is there to prevent me from serious injury

had wire on 6

its 150 amp welder.

had it on

A
Min

with argon/co2 mix