ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in my 182!

Quote: Originally posted by qwerty on 20 July 2004

edde, fair enough but we agree that VVT is either on or off (ie its not variable or multi stage).
But you say its switched on above 1800 rpm if water above 80 and manifold pressure is over 800mbar?

So if a 182 is driven with the VVT disconnected, you say it will still have a power surge at 5,000 rpm?

Does any 182 owner feel like performing the experiment?
Yep its either on or off.

I cannot see any owner doing it as youll probably have probelsm when the ECU find out the VVT isnt activating.

But yes if your coolent temp is below 80 degrees and you rev you will get the kick.

How would the ECU know the VVT isnt activating?

I know theres 2 sensors, pre + post cat, but they only check Lambda, dont they? I dont think the ECU knows where the cams are timed.

Even if the VVT is on/off it is still variable! Hence Variable Valve Timing - v v t. By simply changing the valve timing at all it is being varied.

Edde - how do you know the 5k kick is purely the cams? Please explain how you eliminate the vvt as a cause???

I wouldnt dare contradict someone with the name KNOWALL, except that how could someone who knows-all get suspended?

Edde has explained very well "how you eliminate the vvt as a cause???". He believes the VVT is switched on above 1800 rpm if water above 80 and manifold pressure is over 800mbar.

VVT is either on or off. If it is off (not activated or unplugged) then the valve timing is not variable, is it?

If the valve timing changes even one iota then it it is varied and the engine has variable valve timing. So, say the vvt kicks in (or out depending on how its configured) at a given rpm the valve timing is different above and below this point.

Is this off topic yet?

Quote: Originally posted by qwerty on 21 July 2004

How would the ECU know the VVT isnt activating?
I know theres 2 sensors, pre + post cat, but they only check Lambda, dont they? I dont think the ECU knows where the cams are timed.
The engine would have running problem if the cams didnt activate. The engine would reaslise it doesnt have the extra potential the cam change offers.

The first sensor in the exhuast is the important one the second you can ignore it its used in emmision checking so no ECU problem but it might (I cannot remember) set a light of on the dash warning you of the emmisions.

Quote: Originally posted by KNOWALL on 21 July 2004

Even if the VVT is on/off it is still variable! Hence Variable Valve Timing - v v t. By simply changing the valve timing at all it is being varied.
Edde - how do you know the 5k kick is purely the cams? Please explain how you eliminate the vvt as a cause???
I notice you have been suspened but since you asked someone is bound to dig this topic in future and question it.

VVT means doesnt mean constantly varying the intake cam is either advance or not so its variable. I understand what your mean but its not infinatly variable.

I know the 5k is the cams because it is as Ive said earlier the VVT doesnt switch on or of at 5k so its not them.

I know why your saying that though when I drove a 182 the salesman kept saying it was VVT and I would have believed him its just not true. The only way to prove it is to read the Renault technical manuals or you copuld wire up a sort of light wired up to your VVT switch and see when the cam is adjusted or not.

Clio 182
Re: Archived Post from old forum

yeah that vvt thing does bloody work well. just love the way the car dont pull that great to start with but as soon as you hit the magic 5000rpm then all hell breaks loose. then as you change up to second bang its in the 5000-7000 rpm range again, then 3rd then 4th wooooooohooooooo better not be doing 7000rpm in fifth lol.

I havent read all this thread, but i must comment on this and say i think yuour on a bit of a high here. You love the way it doesnt pull to start with? It feels gutless for a 180bhp engine due to long gearing in the first couple of gears, plus, from first to second it drops way out of the powerband, and you have to wait for it to pick up again. Granted though, the rest of the gears are close but personally for a hot hatch it should be geared to accelerate better. Plus its the wild cams that make the v-teccy type kick at 5k and it aint subtle, its a bit poor really as it doesnt get any decent power until here.

Plus its the wild cams that make the v-teccy type kick at 5k and it aint subtle, its a bit poor really as it doesnt get any decent power until here.
Its not the wild cams its just the way the parts all sort of click and give s alickgt kick due to gearing etc it seems more than it realy is.

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

yeah that vvt thing does bloody work well. just love the way the car dont pull that great to start with but as soon as you hit the magic 5000rpm then all hell breaks loose. then as you change up to second bang its in the 5000-7000 rpm range again, then 3rd then 4th wooooooohooooooo better not be doing 7000rpm in fifth lol.

I havent read all this thread, but i must comment on this and say i think yuour on a bit of a high here. You love the way it doesnt pull to start with? It feels gutless for a 180bhp engine due to long gearing in the first couple of gears, plus, from first to second it drops way out of the powerband, and you have to wait for it to pick up again. Granted though, the rest of the gears are close but personally for a hot hatch it should be geared to accelerate better. Plus its the wild cams that make the v-teccy type kick at 5k and it aint subtle, its a bit poor really as it doesnt get any decent power until here.

From 1st to 2nd it drops out of the power band?? Not in my 2 172's I've had, maybe you need to change gear quicker!