ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running costs of a V6 compared to a 182

Black 182 + Recaros

So how much more does it cost to drive a V6 over a 182 ?

Im talking petrol (mpg), servicing etc. Over the year is there a big difference.

What about insurance. Do they sting you for this.

My mpg seems to ave around 24

Back tyres are 245x40x18 and cost a futune, mine cost £155 each fitted..:eek:

Insurance group 20

other than that, had no services yet?

Simon.

Parts prices are very high for a V6, ask your dealer first.

Normal wear and tear parts like exhaust and brake pads are crazy money.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Matty ... got hold of copy of this month Evo. Its end of term for their Fast Fleet V6 and gives a good view of the costs. Evo reckoned they paid £500 for a pair of tyres ... shmall managed £310 ... reckon my local Micheldever tyres will be able to do them for even less. Beyond tyres, brakes look expensive, servicing costs look reasonable. Evo reckoned they paid £500 for a pair of tyres ... shmall managed £310 ... reckon Micheldever tyres will be able to do them for even less.

Insurance difference for me going between my 172 and my planned V6 is about £170 a year.

I dont do many miles 100-150 a week, so I dont really care about petrol ... hoping for 25 out of the V6 vs. 32 out of my 172. My wives 2 litre C8 7-seater only does 25 mpg too :eek:

Black 182 + Recaros

Like you say, I guess it depends on the mileage. The insurance sounds okay.

Its just the big parts that cost loadsa money. That makes sense for such a rare car.

Matty my car has had 3 services 2 x 12,000 mile and 1 x 24,000 mile.

The costs were £124, £134 & £144 these prices include a charge of £52 just for oil.............Ill be supplying my own.

The next service is the major 36,000 mile and the cost is £232 less 10/15% loyalty discount and ofcourse the £40 saving on the oil so I expect the cost to be around £150 to £170 only.

As for mpg, as I mentioned to you in my PM my dad got 32mpg averaging 73mpg over 600 miles Im now getting between 24/27mpg.

And tyres...............well as I work for Michelin I get them FOC:cool: so I cant comment on that.

I gave the exact costs of servicing in another thread Ive had a search but I cant seem to find it but if I do Ill PM you.

Hope this helps;)

Cya Stu

Oh and insurance.........well Im 20 with 60% NCB and pay £2540:eek: but that WILL come down at renewal:cool:

[Edited by stusV6 on 02 December 2004 at 9:28pm]

25 mpg is about right over all on the 255 - weve done neraly 18k in ours now, and that is pretty much a good average, and the car does short runs, motorway runs, town stuff (London).

Tyres - we put one on the front (had a bulge in the original) - cost of £155.

Brake pads we have a replacement front set in a box - Red Stuff Ceramic - cost of £80 (obviously not fitted) - I know Jeremys front pads were £300 or something silly !!!!

Uses a drop of oil if you drive it hard !!! but not excessive, not putting in litres and litres (only the once at 0530 in the morning!!!)

but driving it is worth it all !!! :D

insurance is under £700, but then I am an old git!!!

Quote: Originally posted by specialK on 02 December 2004

insurance is under £700, but then I am an old git!!!

:eek:Yeah VERY old git:D................just kidding keep your hair on;)

Cya Stu

Black 182 + Recaros

I wish I could have driven a V6 at the age of 20. When I was 18 I drove a Fiat Uno Turbo. Cost £1200 to insure (pretty cheap then), but the car only lasted me 12 months after writing it off. Probably a good thing, because I couldnt afford another 12 months.

Anyway, thanks for the info. The running costs seem pretty reasonable. The service isnt that much dearer than a 172.

Sooooooo Matty when are you going for it eh:D

Stu

Oh ive just had a thought Craigs car looks very nice and its at a very good price too.................just a thought!

Yeah that where I got mine, 245x40xZR18 Pilot Sport 2 @£145 +£8.50 fitting £153.5

But Im sure someone has done cheaper than that.

I have seen garages trying to charge £217 each....:eek:

Simon.

when we asked about the price of the fronts when we first got it, the only tyre you could buy was the Michelin, it is the only car they make that size for, and we were told it would be £400 a tyre!!!!

thank god that wasnt the case by the time we came to replace one !!!

rears shouldnt be as dear as the fronts as they are a more "standard" size

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

182 has cost nowt to run really

My old 1.2 cost the same to service (shorter intervals on the 182 but hey) £200 ish (london £96ph rates)

does 35mpg average and the brake pads cost £20.

oil is oil cost wise and tyres are £80 each (plus £10 to fit for 2.)

Oh and insurance wise it costs £896 fully comp (im 22 with 5 years ncb and i live in a grade E area aka the worst area)

[Edited by Tom on 02 December 2004 at 11:04pm]

Renault Laguna Coupe

I never get better than 23mpg, but my journeys are very short - less than 5 miles each way to work. used to get about 33mpg out of the 172.

But who cares? ;)

Insurance is £600 compared with about £450 on the 172.

when we asked about the price of the fronts when we first got it, the only tyre you could buy was the Michelin, it is the only car they make that size for, and we were told it would be £400 a tyre!!!!

Good point, I have never been able to find a front tyre size in Pilot Sport 2, even mytyres.com doesnt do one.

Where did you get your fronts from Kathy??

and how much?

Simon.

Black 182 + Recaros

Stu - Ive been looking at getting a 182, but Id prefer a V6. If I can afford it then thats what Ill get. I also have to consider the practicality issues.

The space in the rear, above the engine, can you use any of that space ?.

Mark 1 Clio V6

I have a 2001 X Reg mark 1 V6 in fantastic condition for sale Matty.

Renault Warranty to Feb 06, only 17,300 miles, two new tyres on rear (£246 for both + fitting), diamond brite treated. Will sell for £13,200.

PM me if you are interested and I will send you pics and more info.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 03 December 2004
Stu - Ive been looking at getting a 182, but Id prefer a V6. If I can afford it then thats what Ill get. I also have to consider the practicality issues. The space in the rear, above the engine, can you use any of that space ?.

Theres a lot more room in the Vee than youd think. You can get a couple of mid-sized cases on the shelf behind the seats. You could get quite big things on the engine cover if it was a short journey too. The boot is completely useless. The space under the bonnet is quite big but not watertight.

Biggest problem is big things in boxes - theres just nowhere theyll go unless you can put them on the passenger seat.

E91 M Sport

Ive had mine for 2 months, and I seem to be averaging anything from 16-24mpg depending on the type of roads. My main journeys are 5 miles, so this doesnt really allow for any effecient driving!

I have had a 24k mile service at £230, but this was because Renault in MK are a ripoff and SHOULD NOT BE USED. They charge about £10 less for a 182 service, so you wont notice much difference until the major services.

Tyres seem to vary a lot. You havent mentioned if youre getting a mk1 or a mk2, but the fronts on the mk1 are 205/50/17 which is a more popular size and easy to come by, and if you dont mind replacing them with a non-michelin brand, you could get Eagle F1s for about £110 (back and front).

Insurance is about 2/3 more for a V6 than it would have been for a 182.

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 02 December 2004

Good point, I have never been able to find a front tyre size in Pilot Sport 2, even mytyres.com doesnt do one.

Where did you get your fronts from Kathy??

and how much?

Simon.
Got it from y0z2a for about £155

Quote: Originally posted by MattyMarsh on 03 December 2004

The space in the rear, above the engine, can you use any of that space ?.

Matty..............Telford_Mikes description is spot on the money............being single it doesnt really matter for me eh:D

Cya Stu

PS YHPM Matty

Black 182 + Recaros

Thanks for all the feedback. I havent made a decision yet. I would prefer a MK2 but Id have to save my pennies (or borrow one or two ;)).