ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rumbling/vibration through chassis and steering

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
As above in title. Tried a few things things so far... Changed various suspension bushes, new front tyres, wheels balanced, new brake discs and pads. Full belt change done recently too.

Any pointers guys?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

172 Ph1
Check various things like the drivers engine mount isn't shagged
Check the gearbox mount under the battery , they sag and cause the exhaust manifold to vibrate against the subframe.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Happening all the time ? Driving ? idle ? Revving ?
Have you checked your dogbone ?
Driving for is a definite, not sure on revving - I'll check tomorrow and let you know.

Check the gearbox mount under the battery , they sag and cause the exhaust manifold to vibrate against the subframe.
Those are 2 things that I haven't checked, what is tell tale signs of wear?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Just the usual really.

Noise on lock.
But looking at them should point out an issue really.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Just the usual really.

Noise on lock.
But looking at them should point out an issue really.
I don't have noise on lock

I'll check this mount this week, how can I diagnose it being buggered? The dogbone mount was replaced lately too, perhaps I'll check this is still in place securely.

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
You say the dogbone was replaced recently, did you powerflex it? If so, that will cause more vibrations until it beds in a bit.

So the vibration isn't speed sensitive, which rules out a wheel imbalance. If it feels like its coming through the whole car (you can feel it in your seat?) it could be coming from the rear, so check for play in the rear wheels first off. If the rear discs have been changed check the spacer has been fitted correctly as well.

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
You say the dogbone was replaced recently, did you powerflex it? If so, that will cause more vibrations until it beds in a bit.
I replaced it with an OEM one

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Turned out to be combination of poor balancing by tyre shop (no longer using them, they didn't say there was anything wrong plus I had my doubts about the guys working there for the boss) and perhaps the tyres not bring great, came on my 2nd hand turinis. They were continentals with ok tread all round. I was in a good position were I had new p zeros on my old wheels so I had these swapped over at a new tyre shop.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk