ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSTuner - Is it worth the money for a standard car?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
emailed Henk, for anyone interested if you buy the RSTuner brand new you it includes the stage 1, 98 RON map and you dont need the license.

So works out roughly £180ish.

I wonder if he'd be able to do a 97RON map because we don't have many 98RON grade fuel up here. I had to get both my Impreza's mapped to 97RON too.

Astra H vxr
May have to get one of these :) sounds like its all good ratings with them :) , so if I was to purchase one brand new, is it just simply plug into a laptop type of thing ? How don't get them maps on the device ? Sorry for sounding a dumbass but not read about this before ? Thanks Adam

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Has anyone ever done any back to back testing on these on an RR though?

Not sure. I'm not overly fussed on the power output, more so the drive - which I've heard nothing but positives from. The fact I'm getting a decat system can only benefit the map change. I know the increase won't be anything special, but as long as it irons out a few deficiencies already in the stock map I'll be more than happy.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Been a lurker on here but had to make this my first post.

Got mine Friday and mapped it yesterday and can already tell its better (Clio 182). Like others have said its not so much about the increase in power/torque (although I have noticed it does seem to pull away much better) its about the smother drive and better cold starting. It also seems to be getting better and better each day; almost like its learning the new config.

For me it was well worth the money and I will be keeping the rstuner as it is also a really good fault reader etc

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Been a lurker on here but had to make this my first post.

Got mine Friday and mapped it yesterday and can already tell its better (Clio 182). Like others have said its not so much about the increase in power/torque (although I have noticed it does seem to pull away much better) its about the smother drive and better cold starting. It also seems to be getting better and better each day; almost like its learning the new config.

For me it was well worth the money and I will be keeping the rstuner as it is also a really good fault reader etc

Great stuff mate and belated welcome to CS.

Cheers for the welcome Scutch.

Honestly if you end up being disappointed with it then I will be surprised as for what it is its great.

Must admit I spent ages on the purchase page hovering over the buy button and looking on this forum and others to see what they said about it. Im really bad at buying anything, can be a tight git at times but in the end though bugger in and quickly hit buy and rushed through the paypal pay method in case I changed my mind. Yeah stupid I know but glad I did now

Good thing was that it found faults that a cheap reader I bought off ebay didn’t find so that was good as well.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Mine has arrived today.

Quick question, when I'm setting this up, do I need to be charging the battery or will it be fine as it is? I've just noticed a video on Youtube of a Megane R26 demo and the battery is being charged while the calibration is being done?

Cheers.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine has arrived today.

Quick question, when I'm setting this up, do I need to be charging the battery or will it be fine as it is? I've just noticed a video on Youtube of a Megane R26 demo and the battery is being charged while the calibration is being done?

Cheers.

No mate. Just make sure the laptop battery won't die on you, when plugged into the RS tuner/ ECU.

Anyone in Croydon, Surrey are with one of these that wants to show me how it all works :)

I'm interested in getting one, but worried I'm going to f**k something up or overwrite something I shouldn't

Cheers

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
No mate. Just make sure the laptop battery won't die on you, when plugged into the RS tuner/ ECU.

Cheers buddy.

I'm just reading the quick guide that came with the device, and I got to Vehicle to-do's before reprogramming:

- Backup the ECU configuration by pressing the button 'config backup' on the main RSTuner screen when needed. After reprogramming don't forget to restore the backup that was made*

Now, I can understand backing up the existing ECU configuration (incase it goes wrong), but what's the crack with restoring the backup? I don't understand the logic in restoring something that's already there?

melchy

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, BMW M240i
Does anyone know if there have been any improvements in the latest .cal files for the 182. I think the last one I installed was dated the end of 2010.

- Backup the ECU configuration by pressing the button 'config backup' on the main RSTuner screen when needed. After reprogramming don't forget to restore the backup that was made*

We changed it too:

Backup the ECU configuration by pressing the button 'config backup' on the main RSTuner screen when applicable. After reprogramming don't forget to restore the 'config backup' that was made. Some diesel engines require an injector codes backup & restore as well.

For 172/182/197/200 there is no such thing as a 'config backup' . Therefore the button is greyed out.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
We changed it too:

Backup the ECU configuration by pressing the button 'config backup' on the main RSTuner screen when applicable. After reprogramming don't forget to restore the 'config backup' that was made. Some diesel engines require an injector codes backup & restore as well.

For 172/182/197/200 there is no such thing as a 'config backup' . Therefore the button is greyed out.

I'm relieved you went on to say that :cool:

Clio 172
What faults will it read? Engine? Airbag? Abs? Think im going to get one all spurs good =) are the 172&182 maps the same ? As thee isn't a option between them on the order page

Clio 182 FF
Quick query on the 98rcon map. When cold is the engine suppose to rev up and down between 1500-1900 when u drive along then put the clutch pedal down? (idles fine, 1,100 when cold). Hopefully getting new plugs soon as they haven't been changed in 57k miles.

Cheers,

Clio 182 FF
Yeah thats what mine does but when i move off and put the clutch down at above 1,500 revs the engine revs up and down between 1500-1900 then once slowed down to almost a standstill it drops down to 1,100 again?

Cheers,

Yeah thats what mine does but when i move off and put the clutch down at above 1,500 revs the engine revs up and down between 1500-1900 then once slowed down to almost a standstill it drops down to 1,100 again?

Cheers,

Does it do that just when it’s cold? As that’s what mine has been doing but I thought that was to burn off excuse fuel to stop it damaging the cat?

LY Megane R26
Rumble291 I have noticed the same thing with mine,
on start up it goes to about 1400 cold start then works its way down to about 1000 if left to warm.
But if I go to drive straight off from start up the revs climb whilst the clutch is dipped and while your moving the revs don't go down, untill I stop depending on how far I drive and let it go down and warm up, I notice it more where he missus lives as its loads of really small streets and your only ever between 1st n 2nd until you get to the main road.

Does no one else have this if they start up and drive straight off

Also if I go into 1st drive off a little and then coast in gear it's almost like its still trying to idle and let more air in cause it almost like it drives it's self a bit

BG 182
Maybe switching the T/C off and developing better throttle & clutch control would be a better approach?

You're right , but I guess some people wouldn't mind trying launch control.

I put it on my car a few days ago, I can honestly say that I won't be using or needing it but at the time I thought I'd try it. I don't feel it necessary for my driving style