ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RSI 1.6 16v turbo

Hiya people just wondered if anyone has carried such a conversion on a clio i have a v reg 99 rsi 1.6 16v clio with 42k on the clock and was wondering if anyone has tried or knows of anyone who knows there stuff about clios i just recently sold my pulsar due to exsessive running costs and was wanting to play with the clio i have left in the garage

want to know if it would be cheaper to get a 2.0 engine and turbo it or get a lpt turbo for the 1.6

reason= i love undercover cars

used to own a 205 gti mi16 turbo many years ago and that was great fun so im after somthing a little similar

any points in the right direction would be of great help

cheers

joel

Remapped derv Golf

Anything is possible depending on how much you wanna spend. A couple of guys on here are running 1.2s with 172 conversions and one guy (J3ned) has a mk2 with a vag 1.8T running 300bhp.

reason= i love undercover cars (see below!)

http://www.cliosport.net/members/photos/VDZJFSFFJM.jpg

http://www.cliosport.net/members/photos/ZEJBTCZFMQ.jpg

A 172 converion costs around £2.5k - £3k depending on who does it. Its getting past the 200bhp once its in which is gonna cost ya.

Best person to speak to is J3ned because he has done a few covertions. His Clio was running a 172 (plus NOS) before the 1.8T conversion. He also works at a Renault Breakers.

Mazda MX5 1.8

if you wanna go down the tuning N/A route give BenR a shout! he seems to think the 1.6 16v engine is quite good for tuning and if ur willing to put in the cash it would give worthwile gains

i have no idea about turbo conversions however

it would be very expensive though as most of it would have to be custom made afaik

It will be expensive but it has been done before.

The Super 1600 racer cars run ~220hp I think so thats posible but its going to pricy.

Best bet is to swop engines a 172 engine box suspension brakes and dash is only £1.5k or so from breakers. Then youve just got to fit it so thats about £1.5k labourt or you can do it yourself so long as you have a ggod garge and some time you can do it the 172 is the same as the 1.2s etc realy.

TT power as j3ned has dfone is expensive but youve got to pay to go that quick.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

Why not be different and build the 1.6 16v engine,i can never understand building a car you can buy surely if you wanted a 172 you would of brought one,youd get a lot more recognition for building a quick 1.6 16v than a 172 engine that should be quick anyway

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

If you have the money mate do what matty w says and build the 1.6 16v engine if thats what u want to do. loads of people have a 172 conversion, yet to see a 1.6 16v clio modded up to the max engine wise. Be preety unique thing to do.

the 1.6 16v can reach 220bhp with out turbo/supercharger, it is the base engine for a super1600, if you go that route, i will be your new best friend as thats what i want to do but dont have the money to do it

Quote: Originally posted by matty w on 06 September 2005

Why not be different and build the 1.6 16v engine,i can never understand building a car you can buy surely if you wanted a 172 you would of brought one,youd get a lot more recognition for building a quick 1.6 16v than a 172 engine that should be quick anyway
yep your right didnt really want to do a 172 conversion was more interested in modding the 1600 lump so anyone know who i can talk to who knows there stuff about n/a tuning

cheers joel

RSI16v is now my best friend :D As for who to talk to BenR (AngelWorks) and i think its Andy at GDI (sorry if ive got the name wrong)