ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs2 inlet

ph2 clio sport 172
Hi everyone,
I'm looking at either an rs2 inlet or just getting matched inlets and then mapped. Iv looked at countless graphs but obviously different rollers and different spec on engines give different results.

I currently have a high comp forged engine with compression ratio of 12:8:1 with uprated cams from engine dynamics (EDCAM-001) decat and Btb stealth exhaust system. My original plan was to go itbs but I will only be wanting to do the one or two track days a year at most so cant really justify spending that amount for something that is mainly used for daily/weekend toy.

Iv realised there was better routes of tuning I could have gone down for what I'm wanting to use the car for or better yet I could have bought a faster car to start with lol, but I'm happy keepin the Clio for a couple more years and think the rs2 would be perfect for a daily/weekend car and without the hassle of bonnet pins etc.. And easy to take back off and get some money back when and if the time comes to sell the car.

Iv seen in a few threads that sometimes its not worked well with cams or is this just down to mapping? Also would it work well with the mods I currently have on my engine? And what type of bhp/torque could I expect? Some of the graphs I've seen look impress with where the torque comes in at and how it holds it till rev limit.

Iv spoken to James about the rs2 and he was really helpful and sent some graphs to have a look at with the results of the rs2 fitted. So just looking at some other people opinions on what route to go down from here.

regards
Keiron

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
RS2 is a great addition, makes the car very drivable due to the extended torque spread.

jazu6uve.jpg

That was mine. 182 manifold, Decat, Ktec Supersport exhaust and MWM map.

Speak to Chip-mk1 he is probably the best to comment on your engine spec vs RS2.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
They tend to lose out in the mid range with cams, the inlet was designed for a standard engine.

I have 197 cams and MWM custom timing, it does pull at the top end better and gain a few bhp but it also loses 10lbft in the midrange vs RS2+ standard cams.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I have an RS2 on my car also which was running 190hp & 157lb/ft on 197 cams which was mapped by Paul at RSTuning.

It's going back on Tuesday to have the mapped altered following me replacing the cams with 421's (which from light throttle alreaxy seems to have made the car a bit quicker).

The setup gets a bit of hate because it doesn't make big figures like ITB's do but don't let that put you off as all round driveability on the road and track is all that matters (to me at least) which is where these inlets seem to do well for the cost.

ph2 clio sport 172
I have an RS2 on my car also which was running 190hp & 157lb/ft on 197 cams which was mapped by Paul at RSTuning.

It's going back on Tuesday to have the mapped altered following me replacing the cams with 421's (which from light throttle alreaxy seems to have made the car a bit quicker).

The setup gets a bit of hate because it doesn't make big figures like ITB's do but don't let that put you off as all round driveability on the road and track is all that matters (to me at least) which is where these inlets seem to do well for the cost.[/

Have you had any issue with a loss of midrange torque like mentioned above with having cams fitted as well. James provided me with a graph that showed a loss in midrange but did say altered timing and managed to get a better curve and higher peak figures.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd wait and see what mick ends up with as sounds like a very similar spec to yours.

Ultimately you will get more power with ITB but you lose some of the refinement so it depends what you are looking for.

ph2 clio sport 172
I'd wait and see what mick ends up with as sounds like a very similar spec to yours.

Ultimately you will get more power with ITB but you lose some of the refinement so it depends what you are looking for.

If Mick could let me know his results would really appreciate it. And the thing with itbs is the extra cost of management and the whole cutting the slam panel etc.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
I'm curious also, So on a standard 172 with an exhaust what is a realistic figure, how much do they cost fully fitted and where do you get them, guessing you have to get the car mapped, again what's the cost, thanks

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member

The setup gets a bit of hate because it doesn't make big figures like ITB's do but don't let that put you off as all round driveability on the road and track is all that matters (to me at least) which is where these inlets seem to do well for the cost.

Looking forward to see how you get on with this tomorrow.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just the cams and the inlet manifold matched. I'm expecting a loss of torque spread with the 421's over the 197's but hoping for an increase in peak power.

I don't think anyone has tried 421's with an RS2 before though so it may not respond well with them.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Just got back from RS Tuning... I was shocked at the first run of 183hp then the second run saw 201hp but after I stopped running round like an excited kid I realised that was a spike on the rollers (All them torques yo!) but the final result after some minor tweeks was 196hp with 152lb/ft. so I've actually gained 6hp and lost 1lb/ft which doesn't sound *that* great but when you see the two graphs overlaid it's obvious that the gains are real and most importantly use-able (It bolts like a stabbed rat from 4k now). Paul said he probably could've gotten another 2hp but as I'm 100% made up on ITB's and management now in the new year with these cams (There's loads more potential from them) so we decided the extra dyno time and ultimately money wasn't worth it so we made sure it was safe and left it at that until the new year.

I'll try and upload an excel graph later with the two power curves.

Mick

Oh, something else unexpected... after a reset and a 74mile drive home >>49.3MPG<<

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Good to see it works with cams. But with Itbs you'll see another 10-15bhp and lbft.

Interested to see the graphs overlayed too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Hi Mick, good results there!

What was your rationale for ditching the 197 cams and opting for the 421s instead?

More midrange I would imagine.

Thats the reason I bought Cub's 438 (essentially same profile but timed differently to 421) cams recently for our RS2 car instead of using 197 ones this time.

Didnt know Mick had already had the same idea and was one step ahead by having them already fitted though!

196 on RS Tuning's rollers is a fast clio, especially with over 150lbft and a decent spread like it sounds like Mick has :)
I will be well happy if we make that.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hi Mick, good results there!

What was your rationale for ditching the 197 cams and opting for the 421s instead?

Tim, I knew I had the 197 cams timed there or there abouts but I had this constant niggle in the back of my mind that the timing wasn't quite right (it was greedy on fuel) and as timing changes, map tweeks aren't simple I decided to take a set of 421's in part payment for a job to get rid of this issue.

Chi, just booked it a few minutes ago so I'll come find you and say hi (once I've finished tugging myself over the R8 Gordini that's also booked on that day)

More midrange I would imagine.

Thats the reason I bought Cub's 438 (essentially same profile but timed differently to 421) cams recently for our RS2 car instead of using 197 ones this time.

Didnt know Mick had already had the same idea and was one step ahead by having them already fitted though!

196 on RS Tuning's rollers is a fast clio, especially with over 150lbft and a decent spread like it sounds like Mick has :)
I will be well happy if we make that.

Yeah I cannot wait to use it now Chip but i fear the silenced PMS mid-section really needs to go on now as at WOT its too loud for me and i know its over 93dB so noise check the RB after fitting the 438's. I deffo want a set of Jenvey tapered SF's but i'm just going to enjoy it for what it is now and get some track time booked for 2014.

The only place the 421's seem to have lost a little (and I mean a little) is 3.2-4k but everywhere else the new curve is ahead. Add in the Cup aux setup and new suspension I'm running and the car is an absolute dream to abuse.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Would be nice to see figures with the extra 50mm spacers on the RS2 and cams. Would that need bonnet pins?

Tom, I considered this but even still it would be money wasted as I'm all set now on having 48 SF's with 120mm trumpets

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not here its in the car (at the workshop). Doing VAT returns tonight #sucks

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Erm I'd say yes but we may get black flagged using a crate and a bungie chord lol. Afraid not... because it only has one seat.

I may let you take it out though if you promise not to set it on fire!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Lol you can try mine. . Whatever I decide to bring. . Any chance of getting my meg looked at this weekend?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I defo will have mate as nothing else booked. Was in Nottingham on Friday fixing doors. .

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I will never forget... so, can I drive the MX5 at Bedford (Mwhahahaaaa)?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Sure you can, but i'll warn you now that you'll want to buy one after driving it

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
One on PH for 2.4k at the moment, its in nottingham too actually.