ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS2 inlet on 197

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
i assume the RS2 inlet for earlier models would fit a 197 with slight modification?
anyone done it?

From what I understand the benifits of fitting the RS2 are not as good with the 197/200's & also the room in the engine bay isn't ideal.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I would talk to 519 about ITBs instead tbh.

But the inlet on the 197 is better flowing so gains aren't as great.

Some people have seen up to 30bhp from ITBs on the 172 and 15-20bhp on the 197.

im not surprised by this comment, i have been looking into tuning the 197 and it seems nobody really has a clue what works and what doesn't, is that statement actually based on fact or are you just guessing??

You'd probably lose power putting an RS2 on a 197!

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
im not surprised by this comment, i have been looking into tuning the 197 and it seems nobody really has a clue what works and what doesn't, is that statement actually based on fact or are you just guessing??

The fact is with regards to engine tuning, you'd have to spend a fortune to make any 'real' gains. Cams etc won't give you a lot in an already highly strung motor.

If you want big power, you have the wrong car, that isn't what the clio's are about. Alternatively you can Turbo/supercharge them or drop a megan engine in would be the most viable way to gains.

i dont want big power and i dont want to do what some people seem to have done which is spend thousands on cams, induction, decat, remap for very little gains however i have the skills to remap the car myself so am thinking i might try a few relatively inexpensive options for a reasonable outlay, hence my asking about the RS2.
Manifolds like the RS2 are proven to flow very well, look at the design of the Nissan pulsar intake for a good example, its also similar to a touring car setup

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well a 1*2 with 197 cams and a RS2 inlet makes close to 200bhp. And a standard 197 in reality is more like 185bhp. So you should see around 200bhp IMO, maybe a bit more with the better VVT control on the 197.

The only problem is the clearance and the lower part of the inlet has a different bolt pattern and port shape.

Thanks, thats helpful, so what do they go for used?

Well a 1*2 with 197 cams and a RS2 inlet makes close to 200bhp. And a standard 197 in reality is more like 185bhp. So you should see around 200bhp IMO, maybe a bit more with the better VVT control on the 197.

The only problem is the clearance and the lower part of the inlet has a different bolt pattern and port shape.

Cup In bits
Thanks, thats helpful, so what do they go for used?

£1000!!! you want to buy one? I have one for sale with red anodised highlights

And LOL at it not working on a 197, people have been fitting them with 197 cams just to get better gains and the 197/200 is higher comp, adjustments would have to be made but it WILL work.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
A standard 197 inlet will see 230hp anyway if you spec the engine correctly. I know this. ;)

Also, converting a 172 manifold to fit on a 197 or vice versa is a hideous job. I've done the 197 inlet on to a 172 head and I know how far out the ports are. The only real way to do it properly is to weld up the ports on the cylinder head and re-port it.

I'm not sure there's enough meat on a 172 manifold to do the swap the other way, and tbh you'd need to do a lot of reworking the ports to get the shape and transition half way near.

Last edited:
  Cup In bits
A standard 197 inlet will see 230hp anyway if you spec the engine correctly. I know this. ;) Also, converting a 172 manifold to fit on a 197 or vice versa is a hideous job. I've done the 197 inlet on to a 172 head and I know how far out the ports are. The only real way to do it properly is to weld up the ports on the cylinder head and re-port it. I'm not sure there's enough meat on a 172 manifold to do the swap the other way, and tbh you'd need to do a lot of reworking the ports to get the shape and transition half way near.

Is your cup pumping out 230 ponies now is it. I think you were sandbagging when you posted your recent pics. "nothing special" iirc was your words when asked spec lol.