ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuning rolling road day - RESULTS here

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
So your producing peak power below 5252 rpm :eek::eek: Is it a diesel ;)

Interesting reading the comments about "Artificially High Torque Figures"

There's no such thing, if the torque is high then so is the bhp, the 2 figures are relative and the simple equation is rpm/5252*T=Bhp
Rolling Roads measure torque at the wheel, complete the equation and give you a bhp figure. You can't have one without the other.

Chris

You can have high peak torque and lower peak BHP but the BHP peak will still be at a higher rev range.

It won't be the RR at fault, I took my 1.2 16v there the other week produced 190bhp and 4000lbft. Well happy with it considering it's standard.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I ran my toaster on those rollers.

Only 0.9bhp, but a healthy 435lb/ft. I was more than happy considering it was only a standard Tefal.

You can have high peak torque and lower peak BHP but the BHP peak will still be at a higher rev range.

Waitey you've misunderstood my post, the comment was referring to the claim that the torque figure is wrong, in which case so is the bhp figure, you can't have one right and one wrong.

As for lower bhp and high torque, you'll struggle to acheive this with a N/A 1*2 unless you've a problem.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Waitey you've misunderstood my post, the comment was referring to the claim that the torque figure is wrong, in which case so is the bhp figure, you can't have one right and one wrong.

As for lower bhp and high torque, you'll struggle to acheive this with a N/A 1*2 unless you've a problem.

I think that one from whitby had a problem..... lol

TVR Cerbera
07112009038.gif

07112009039.gif

07112009040.gif

07112009041.gif

RSTuningRRPrintout_0002.gif

RSTuningRRPrintout_0001.gif

alien green rs133
fueling looks spot on to me. in and around 13:1 AFR.
may be a slight bit to be gained on ignition map though

340i
I am no expert on mapping! ;)

I can remember Daz saying the RR highlighted some issues, just wondered if it was anything to do with mapping?

alien green rs133
i roughly mapped my own. but will be heading back down to pual when the next ecu is sorted :rasp:

if only i could take the MOT emissions machine with me up the road i could do it all my self.

TVR Cerbera
Did Paul say the mapping on yours looks alright Daz?

fueling looks spot on to me. in and around 13:1 AFR.
may be a slight bit to be gained on ignition map though

I am no expert on mapping! ;)

I can remember Daz saying the RR highlighted some issues, just wondered if it was anything to do with mapping?

It's running very rich at idle, i think some fine tuning is needed. Anybody else running omex / jenvey setup that i can take a look at their map as i need to check the data for the sensors, air temp etc

alien green rs133
It's running very rich at idle, i think some fine tuning is needed. Anybody else running omex / jenvey setup that i can take a look at their map as i need to check the data for the sensors, air temp etc

paul also said mine was mega rich at idle 11:1 !!!!!!!!

no wonder the plugs are black.
once i got new ecu working ill get paul to map it properly me thinks

TVR Cerbera
ATM im using LINK

soon to be VEMS/Megasquirt

surely you just need to sit with an imissions machine and alter the idle fueling till its right...
I don't think there is a great deal wrong with my map, but i thing the problem lies in the figures for the setup of the sensors

HBT 172 Cup
So your producing peak power below 5252 rpm :eek::eek: Is it a diesel ;)

Interesting reading the comments about "Artificially High Torque Figures"

There's no such thing, if the torque is high then so is the bhp, the 2 figures are relative and the simple equation is rpm/5252*T=Bhp
Rolling Roads measure torque at the wheel, complete the equation and give you a bhp figure. You can't have one without the other.

Chris

But your missing one key thing. All these fancy equations are great, but as your shoving in innacurate RPM values. I'll bet 100 quid to get the RPM value he rev'd the engine to say 2000rpm in 4th gear, then told the RR that that was infact true 2000rpm,

To be fair the RPM gauge wont be that far out, but its a cheap and chearful way of banging people on and off rolling roads quickly. Ill eat my hat if an injector pulse type pickup was used.

Nice example, my carhas standalone management, you have to set the RPM gauge to it through 'divider's and you cant get it perfect, probably +/- 100 rpm.

My rev limit is 8000RPM. I took it to the rolling road it made 204bhp an it made this power at an amazing 8450RPM, yes thats right 450rpm over my rev limiter. This false reading sends torque and therefore horsepower figures on a skew. (in my case it biased the results)

Because of this every single car can have differing results, even though everyone on the rolling road on the same day, with the same temperature e.t.c

My experience was with TSR Performance in bridgewater, spanking 4WD drive super duper RR but spoilt by the noobs who run it.

Rant over :)

Last edited:
  ITB'd MK1
ATM im using LINK

soon to be VEMS/Megasquirt

surely you just need to sit with an imissions machine and alter the idle fueling till its right...

why would you downgrade so much?

Fueling should be easy, Lambda sensors take care of things a lot as long as you're close, within trim range, and the target map is correct. Anything that's very rich I'd be suspicious of the lambda sensor or the wiring to it

alien green rs133
why would you downgrade so much?

Fueling should be easy, Lambda sensors take care of things a lot as long as you're close, within trim range, and the target map is correct. Anything that's very rich I'd be suspicious of the lambda sensor or the wiring to it

because ATM im using a borrowed ECU

otherwise i would keep link as it runs mint, the only fault i have found is that you cannot alter the settings for the sensors example the engine temp never gets above 60 degree;s acording to the link ... lol

HBT 172 Cup
because ATM im using a borrowed ECU

otherwise i would keep link as it runs mint, the only fault i have found is that you cannot alter the settings for the sensors example the engine temp never gets above 60 degree;s acording to the link ... lol

lmao that sounds like a well setup ecu, cold map all day long! :S

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
But your missing one key thing. All these fancy equations are great, but as your shoving in innacurate RPM values. I'll bet 100 quid to get the RPM value he rev'd the engine to say 2000rpm in 4th gear, then told the RR that that was infact true 2000rpm,

To be fair the RPM gauge wont be that far out, but its a cheap and chearful way of banging people on and off rolling roads quickly. Ill eat my hat if an injector pulse type pickup was used.

Nice example, my carhas standalone management, you have to set the RPM gauge to it through 'divider's and you cant get it perfect, probably +/- 100 rpm.

My rev limit is 8000RPM. I took it to the rolling road it made 204bhp an it made this power at an amazing 8450RPM, yes thats right 450rpm over my rev limiter. This false reading sends torque and therefore horsepower figures on a skew. (in my case it biased the results)

Because of this every single car can have differing results, even though everyone on the rolling road on the same day, with the same temperature e.t.c

My experience was with TSR Performance in bridgewater, spanking 4WD drive super duper RR but spoilt by the noobs who run it.

Rant over :)

The HP figures are NOT wrong due to the roller tacho. On the DD the only affected number displayed is flywheel torque. This is something in shootout and it's been proven time and time again. I can leave the same roller ratio and run the car in 3rd or 4th and the power will be within a couple of HP.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
We used to find on the rollers I have used in the past that wheel calculated speed is reasonably accurate upto certain speeds. but they as the tire inflates and heats up the losses were inaccurate.

So on higher revving engines this of course causes errors.

Tacho pick up (not the inductive type too) is more accurate. This is of course alot easier if your ECU has a square wave output for tacho.

HBT 172 Cup
I was going to say Crank SIgnal type pickup would be best, but i bet no ones going to rig one of those up for a 'power run'

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
We used to find on the rollers I have used in the past that wheel calculated speed is reasonably accurate upto certain speeds. but they as the tire inflates and heats up the losses were inaccurate.

So on higher revving engines this of course causes errors.

Tacho pick up (not the inductive type too) is more accurate. This is of course alot easier if your ECU has a square wave output for tacho.

This is true yes, same as anything with big power and R888's, the more you run the shorter the graph gets!

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I was going to say Crank SIgnal type pickup would be best, but i bet no ones going to rig one of those up for a 'power run'

For a RR day its not easy to get everyone through

I have a tacho pick up that goes onto the coilpack so it will be possible to do easily

M

mini-valver

Jamie's Fiesta at under 130? That must hurt, lol.

Gray's is a demon.