ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuner can't disable Pretentioner?

Ph2 Clio 172
So I've plugged my new RS Tuner (with the Airbag module) in and it confirms my Airbag light is on due to the pretentioner cables under the passenger seat.

However if I lock and then configure the Airbag ECU, it won't let me disable the Pretentioner causing the issue. It says the "Aitbag ECU returned a message inndicating that configuring DTC 8072 is not allowed/supported".

Any ideas? I'm a bit peeved as the only reason I've bought an RS Tuner is because I was told it could disable Airbag components. It does... to most bits, but specifically won't disable the bit I need it too!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 93
  Ph2 Clio 172
I've now cut the cables out of the connectors under the seat and joined them in a connection block but the lights still on so its something else. I'm going to try a resistor but I would much prefer to just disable the problem bit entirely!

182 Trophy #333
And you've tried both in locked and unlocked mode??

I will test on mine tonight and let you know mate!!

Clio 172 Cup
Or use the resistor mate, 39p (M3R3 from Maplin) each side did mine at the weekend and serv and airbag light out.

Ph2 Clio 172
I've got some 3.3 resistors coming in the post to try. My worry is that with the wires removed from the plugs and spliced together under the seat it should have a good connection and be fine, but its not. This might mean there's an issue elsewhere in the system. If its 'upstream' from the plugs (I.e. something in the pretentioner) then resistors should work fine, but if the fault is between the ECU and the plugs under the seat then I'm screwed.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The wires to the pretensioner run directly from the airbag ecu to the seat so you'd be able to trace the wires anyway. If you just put the two wires together that won't work as the resistance won't be in range. The resistor should work though. If you can disable it, you need to turn the ignition on and off again for the ECU to check if it's still there.

Ph2 Clio 172
Which wires need a resistor? The brown and brown/red going into the big grey connector, or the brown and pink going into the small black connector?

Ph2 Clio 172
Well I've put a resistor on each and its made no difference. Lights still on and RS Tuner still shows the passenger pretentioner circuit is open.

I think I'm going to end up scrapping a car because the airbag lights on! I'm without a car and need one for my job.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, STOP!

You're obviously doing this without fully understanding what it is you're trying to do, so before you kill yourself I'll add this...

Lock ECU > Remove ALL stupid resistors, they are not needed > alter configuration > Cycle ignition > Unlock ECU

SRS & SERV MIL's should now be out and function correctly with ignition.

Understand the system, understand the problem:

By creating a closed circuit on a trigger line, even with a resistor in place, the ECU can "see" a "component". You're then telling it via configuration that there isn't a "component" on that specific trigger line despite it clearly detecting an out of range closed circuit, hence you have your configuration fault. If you are decoding a trigger line, it 100% has to be in open circuit. Now please stop faffing around joining wires before you actually cause a trigger line to fire.

Ph2 Clio 172
Clam down.

I've not joined any wires that shouldn't be joined. What I tried first is bypassing the connection blocks by connecting the wires from either side of it directly, i.e. the exact same wiring setup as stock except without the dodgy connectors. This didn't work. What I've then done is place a resistor between the 2 wires as described many places here that creates the same proper circuit but with resistors in the place of where the seat would be. This hasn't worked either.

I've not directly joined the 2 wires together at all. I'm not that stupid. I've even been careful to only work on one side of the wires at a time to avoid even accidentally creating a short across them.

And if you read this thread properly you will see that I can't alter the configuration on the pretentioner, the ECU won't allow it. Locked or unlocked it makes no difference. I can disable all other parts of the airbag system, just not the 1 part I actually need disabled.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Oh I read it properly but you didn't return the favour... Did you make it past the "Okay STOP" line?

You cannot alter the configuration because the trigger line you are trying to configure is in closed circuit.

My original reply wasn't intended to be shitty but rather to help you by trying to explain how the system works. You don't know the difference between a 3.3 Ohm resistor and a 3.3 KOhm resistor so I can see why Open Vs Closed circuit goes over your head to.

Read it again, then try you trigger line configuration.

Ph2 Clio 172
If your not trying to be shitty I'd suggest not opening with "your going to kill yourself" in future...

This is the 3 setups I've so far tried, all suggested on here, to get the light out, with no success. (stock setup, then joining the wires bypassing the connectors, then using resistors)

seat_zps3ybnyecm.png

So if I am reading your suggestion right, I should disconnect everything so the wires aren't connected to anything, then try disabling the sensor in the Airbag config? I'll give that a go, but how is this any different to my current situation as the fault that is showing is "Left Pretentioner (open circuit)"? The ECU already thinks the circuit is open, not an out of range closed circuit.

Last edited:
  Ph2 Clio 172
To be clear, the approaches with resistors etc was me attempting to get the light off without disabling anything.

I want to disable it now due to none of my other efforts working. I'm not trying to use resistors to allow me to disable the line in the ECU. My resistor and wire splicing efforts have failed so now I've moved onto disabling it entirely in the ECU.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I didn't open with "you are going to kill yourself" either did I?

What I said was, before you kill yourself, here's what to do... But you run with your version and I hope you manage to sort it when the circuits are Open.

Ph2 Clio 172
Wether you meant it or not, your posts come across as coming from a bit of a nob with an attitude problem. As a Trader on here I would have thought you'd want to be more careful?

But anyway, you have given me some other things to try which I will later, so thanks. Its a shame you arrived in this thread on the offensive and then took exception to me pointing that out. I'm only asking for help, there's no need to be rude.

Ph2 Clio 172
OH MY F****** GOD THIS PIECE OF F****** FRENCH S****!

So, it turns out that when the error code says "Passenger Side Pretensioner" and "Left side Pretentioner" what it actually means is.... RIGHT SIDE!

I've been dicking about with the wrong god dam seat. I tried MickPM's question of disconnecting everything and when I read the error codes my screen lit up with Right Side faults and Drivers Side faults. So it looks like the ECU is swapped around for right hand drive cars but the loom isn't, or something else squiffy. All I had to do was give the connectors under the drivers seat the old "give them a wiggle" treatment and the lights out. All my wiring and resistor work on the passenger side was working fine, and completely unnessasary!!

ARGH!

Oh and MickPM, your suggestion about disabling the sensor when it was disconnected still doesn't work. Even when the Airbag config showed "No" in the Detected column for a pretentioner (once I dissconnected everything and cycled the ignition, and locked the EC), it still gave the same "not allowed/not supported" error message when I tried to disable it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The only vehicles that I've seen which confuse you with sides are the Kangoo's... never EVER seen it on an X65 before so probably a translation issue with the RST (maybe drop Henk an email). Is this unit showing any Crash data?

Ph2 Clio 172
The ECU knows its a RHD car as it knows left is passenger, so its as if the wiring is the wrong way round running to the seats.

No crash data.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You can check for the wiring being wrong by looking at it. Left tail comes out the left side of the exhaust tunnel and the Right is on the Right. If someone has picked around with it, it'll have an obvious cross in the wiring around the center console... I don't think it's possible to do though due to lack of physical wiring.

VIN number programmed to the SRS ECU match the vehicle?