ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RPM Limit

Clio 172 Cup
Ran the RS Tuner on my car few months back, all went well and so on. Limit was up from the standard 7200.

On my way back from work last night I took the long way home. Takes about an hour or so, about 30-40 mins into the trip I got to a nice little piece of road and opened it up. I've never give it the beans in weeks so not sure when this started, but the green "shift" light was coming on at about 6500rpm and kicking in about 6700/6800rpm. This was in all gears. The car used to go beyond this without a hick last time I give it some stick.

Cars running on V-Power, Oil if just below max and air filter is nice and clean.

Whats next on my hit list?

phase 2 172
the limiter kicks in earlier until the oil warms up .this is to protect the engine .it has this on all rs models.hope this helps.

Lionel Richie
knackered coolant temp sensor probably, is the need a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit above halfway (as per normal) or just below?

Clio 172 Cup
Next time am out and about I will look, am sure it's just slightly below halfway.

I had been driving the car for over half an hour, oil should be more then warm enough I would have thought?

RSC 182 Cup
Do some data logging on the RSTuner from a cold start. You'll quite likely see huge jumps in the temp readout on the data log- I discovered mine was stuffed after noticing strange temp fluctuations (I had no idea beforehand and it was rare to actually see the temp gauge itself spike.)

It was replaced under warranty and the problem hasn't returned.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Sorry to hijack, my temp readin moves above, varies from 1 notch above middle to 1 below, it goes down maybe 2 if i'm going downhill lol. Car runs fine though?

ph1 black 172
Also the so callled 'shift light' will always come on at 6500ish. it doesnt usually change if it gets remapped.

182+1.5DCI+S2000
My limit has been set over 7k also i have a bad thermostat i think cos my temp gauge(had the coolant temp sensor changed) likes to dance :S but if you drive it in any gear and boot it when it hits the kick @ 5k the temp will jump back up to normal car runs mint tho

53 Clio's & counting
knackered coolant temp sensor probably, is the need a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit above halfway (as per normal) or just below?

Fred, mines always sat just under half way (unless stopped in traffic), are ph1's different, or should it sit a bit higher?

I found my limiter today, approx 7800 rpm lol, never took it above 7500 rpm on the dyno, but only drops slightly to 190 bhp at 7500 :D

Could probably do with a bit more lower down, but over 150lb ft at 4500 is pretty good to drive with :)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
my 182 is standard and will do this the first couple of times I let it rev. this is after driving for over 30minutes. Does it a couple of times then eventually it will give me full revs so just put it down to the self adjusting ECU adapting to how you're driving.

PH1 172 Sport
Fred, mines always sat just under half way (unless stopped in traffic), are ph1's different, or should it sit a bit higher?

I found my limiter today, approx 7800 rpm lol, never took it above 7500 rpm on the dyno, but only drops slightly to 190 bhp at 7500 :D

Could probably do with a bit more lower down, but over 150lb ft at 4500 is pretty good to drive with :)

mine sits just below mate and I've had a new sensor. I think the scale on the ph1s is slightly different

Monaco Ph2 Clio 172
Also the so callled 'shift light' will always come on at 6500ish. it doesnt usually change if it gets remapped.

Mine was changed at JMS (at least i think so), the shift light doesn't appear till very close to 7000 now:approve:

M

mini-valver

Worth checking the thermostat too. Coolant temp sensor would usually make it run like crap when its warm.