ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rotary polishers

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
No point starting a new thread..

I like the idea of a rotary/DA/machine polishing tool, BUT they scare the bejesus out of me. So much to choose; pad, speed, liquid of choice, size, flavour etc., and so much to go wrong if I get distracted by a squirrel or something.

Can anyone give me a beginners guide to buying my first one + accessories ? It'll only be for doing my own car (the scoob has more swirls than a 100 year old saucepan) until I'm comfortable with it. T'woman's bus needs resurrecting too. That's so swirly, the swirls are joining up.

I don't want to spend thousands of pounds buying every combination of pad and polish in the world... so can I get away with a couple of pads to start with.. a cutting and a polishing one for instance ?

I've got CG/PB (i cant remember) SSR 2.5, SRP, Blackhole and something else polish related which I don't use on my shelf. :dead:

Just for info .. normally I wash + wax every couple of weeks, or just a snowfoam if I'm being mega lazy haha :eek: Every few months clay (if needed probably once a year) SRP, BH and wax if the weather is on my side !

Thanks...!

/machine polishing noob.

Not a 320d
LOL! Bad innit.

Well, DAS6 is good.

I went with a G220 a few years ago and I always thought it was great except it needed a bit more bite to it. My first combo was the meguairs pad and polish combo, #80 and #83 with Megs pads. #80 had fillers in it so I basically wasted my time. The Sonus pads and Menzerna Polishes were my second combo and were great. I still think theyre great and I still use them on my clio and other cars. My old PH2 Dynamique in pearl Black needed 1 "hit" using Power finish (203s) and the White sonus pad. I now use 203s and a Green Hex Logic Pad on my GT. That might give you an idea on what to start out with.

Might go back to the SFX pads actually been thinking about it for a while as its time my car got polished and I need new pads. Im sure others will back up what ive said.

The DAS6 pro has a bit more bite and if it was out when id bought the G220 Id of gone with the DAS6 pro, it will need a little more care though because of the extra torque.

Just keep the machine moving and break the polishes down its a piece of piss. Takes time though. Dont expect to crack the whole car out in 2 hours :)

Invest in some IPA and some good cloths. The yellow Eurow ones form macro are good for machine polishing I think.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031B4YU2/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Those ^^ look around for them cheaper though.

I assume youve read these guides?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

STEALTH RAIDER
LOL! Bad innit.

Well, DAS6 is good.

I went with a G220 a few years ago and I always thought it was great except it needed a bit more bite to it. My first combo was the meguairs pad and polish combo, #80 and #83 with Megs pads. #80 had fillers in it so I basically wasted my time. The Sonus pads and Menzerna Polishes were my second combo and were great. I still think theyre great and I still use them on my clio and other cars. My old PH2 Dynamique in pearl Black needed 1 "hit" using Power finish (203s) and the White sonus pad. I now use 203s and a Green Hex Logic Pad on my GT. That might give you an idea on what to start out with.

Might go back to the SFX pads actually been thinking about it for a while as its time my car got polished and I need new pads. Im sure others will back up what ive said.

The DAS6 pro has a bit more bite and if it was out when id bought the G220 Id of gone with the DAS6 pro, it will need a little more care though because of the extra torque.

Just keep the machine moving and break the polishes down its a piece of piss. Takes time though. Dont expect to crack the whole car out in 2 hours :)

Invest in some IPA and some good cloths. The yellow Eurow ones form macro are good for machine polishing I think.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031B4YU2/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Those ^^ look around for them cheaper though.

I assume youve read these guides?

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

If you had ur DA and i had my rotary polishing identical cars doing a full correction, i would finish hours before you. Same with an enhancement. DA's are great for single stage machining as it wont take as much clearcoat away as a rotary would, but the right combo on a rotary would overcome this problem with the given knowledge. Any machine in the hands of a beginner is dangerous and i think you have been a little superhero syle towards " trying to go wrong". Using a wrong combo can see you go through your paint in no time and if the cut is not enough, some will hammer the panel trying to take defects out they cant and end up doing the same thing. Best thing to do is have a look at what most of the pro's use and ask them why. As for breaking polishes down is a piece of piss, it takes years to master the polishing art. Again, correct combos, the amount used on a pad, polish sling, environment temperatures, heat build up of panels, correct speeds. You make it sound too easy to other users Toby. I would never advise people to use power finish as a single stage, even if it has been re-labelled from 3.02 with a bit more gloss in the finish. Refining is just as important as compounding/polishing is, thats why people have a different range of standards.

Based on the info given above to a beginner, you are telling him to get the more powerful DA and have a little more care after telling me youve tried to go wrong but you cant. Then offer one polish on a light cut pad with no refining after. To top it off, just get him to buy more products like IPA instead of correcting/helping with his method that he usually does his car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
P1040056.jpg

P1040057.jpg

P1040058.jpg

P1040059.jpg

P1040060.jpg

P1040061.jpg

Such a nice change from my Millwaukee. Nice and agile! Love it!

Ahem...

P1040052.jpg

Not a 320d
If you had ur DA and i had my rotary polishing identical cars doing a full correction, i would finish hours before you. Same with an enhancement. DA's are great for single stage machining as it wont take as much clearcoat away as a rotary would, but the right combo on a rotary would overcome this problem with the given knowledge. Any machine in the hands of a beginner is dangerous and i think you have been a little superhero syle towards " trying to go wrong". Using a wrong combo can see you go through your paint in no time and if the cut is not enough, some will hammer the panel trying to take defects out they cant and end up doing the same thing. Best thing to do is have a look at what most of the pro's use and ask them why. As for breaking polishes down is a piece of piss, it takes years to master the polishing art. Again, correct combos, the amount used on a pad, polish sling, environment temperatures, heat build up of panels, correct speeds. You make it sound too easy to other users Toby. I would never advise people to use power finish as a single stage, even if it has been re-labelled from 3.02 with a bit more gloss in the finish. Refining is just as important as compounding/polishing is, thats why people have a different range of standards.

Based on the info given above to a beginner, you are telling him to get the more powerful DA and have a little more care after telling me youve tried to go wrong but you cant. Then offer one polish on a light cut pad with no refining after. To top it off, just get him to buy more products like IPA instead of correcting/helping with his method that he usually does his car.

Im well aware of the speeds in which a car can be completed under the two machines.

DA's are great for beginners because they build up less heat, dont jump across pannels etc. Less chance of f**king things up. Im sorry, but I dont see how it takes years to master the break down of polish. Sure it doesnt take just a few hours or a few cars but its not eaxctly hard. If hed of read the guide then im sure hed understand the idea of testing polish and pad combo's from lighest progressing through the heavier stuff until he got what he wanted.

As for the right combo on the rotary, yeah youre right, its a quicker machine and gives better results, but for a beginner? I think people should know how easy it is to screw things up on that machine. DA is so much more straight forward. I have tried, on full speed, with a compound and cutting pad, to burn through and cause damage even when applying pressure. I think if I left it there for a considerable amount of time and the paintwork was thin enough I might do some damage. On a ph2 Clio, a DA is more than enough to get through the car.

I didnt think he asked me about his method that he usually does his car - I presume you mean washing technique or polishing technique.

I told him to get the more powerful DA because I dont think the normal ones have enough bite. I wish id of gone with a DAS6 pro even though they werent out when I got mine.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Doesn't mate, I added it in. I've still got my 3M big backing plate although the CYC is good the 3M one has always been my large go to plate. :)

It's a cracking machine, the choice between this and the Millwaukee i'd choose this onlt because I do more enhancement details rather than full correction. Full correction details i'd definitely look.. makita/Milwaukee.

STEALTH RAIDER
Doesn't mate, I added it in. I've still got my 3M big backing plate although the CYC is good the 3M one has always been my large go to plate. :)

It's a cracking machine, the choice between this and the Millwaukee i'd choose this onlt because I do more enhancement details rather than full correction. Full correction details i'd definitely look.. makita/Milwaukee.

You reckon it would manage a full correction?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Easily mate, just it's lovely really is. I'm actually being harsh it isn't too light. As you'll have seen on DW Valet Magic's Robbie had been using it on Full corrections.

I just love it's agility.

STEALTH RAIDER
As long as its lighter than my sim 180 then im not bothered. The speed wheel makes it look like a DA to me, lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I was very worried about th speed dial until I held it and thought to be honest it's pretty spot on mate. Tim said he asked for it to be there but who know's.

It's much much lighter than a 180 and lighter than even a CP. I like modern waxes/Rotaries. I feel like they have learned from what has gone before and improved on it.

It's not the prettiest but for the price and performance it's hard to beat.

STEALTH RAIDER
Thanks for the info mate, might try the hax pads too with the wool included. They look similar to cg hex ones.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Tim threw in a few for me to try. I try and stick to 3M they are so durable and the HEX ones are very very good.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Possibly, mines was ordered Friday delivered Monday, not bad going for a weekend split.

STEALTH RAIDER
Seen as though it was my birthday today, went down to Huddersfield and spent a good £250 with Tim including a few free samples. One being his only sample of the new aquartz PERL!!!:D Got the new compact rotary, superb machine as you said Gally ;) The pads seem like they are up to much abusing aswell.