ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rooted Android?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I was bored the other night so finally decided to get round to rooting my HTC Desire.
I used Unrevoked 3.3 which was very easy.

I've then tried LeeDroid Gingerbread 3.0.7 with Sense.

So far it doesn't seem much different but it all seems to work and has a few nice extras. I was hoping to get a newer version of Sense but I can't find any decent ROM's with it:(.

So question is what ROM's are people using and on which device is it on. Is it any good?

Also what Apps/things can you do with rooted phones that make it stand out from none rooted?

I'm using leedroid, but I thought the latest version he'd done was still froyo? Can't see a gingerbread on his site. Don't think the new version of sense that comes with the sensation will work because of hardware requirements. There are some roms which have the dhd sense but I've never bothered changing it from leedroid myself.

Giulietta 940
How long did it take to root? And was it simple enough?

I'm thinking about rooting my Desire too, but I'm afraid of bricking it :(

182FF with cup packs
How long did it take to root? And was it simple enough?

I'm thinking about rooting my Desire too, but I'm afraid of bricking it :(

Unrevoked takes 10 minutes at the most and is fully automatic. I've done a shed load of them with no issues whatsoever.

Load up the program, plug in the phone, switch on USB debugging on the phone and it does it all for you.

As for ROMs, if you don't mind losing SenseUI, then CyanogenMod7 is the way forward :)

For rooted apps I recommend the following:

TitaniumBackup - allows you to backup all your apps and system settings, especioally handy if you are flashing custom roms as you can get everything back

SetCpu - allows you to over/underclock your processor. Will do it dynamically which saves you battery, so when your phones idle it scales back the CPU speed to 200Mhz from 1Ghz or similar

ShootMe - allows you to take screenshots from the phone with a simple shake)

Bumder With A Buffer
I haven't looked into this at all for the android....

Can you do this on the incredible S??? I assume so?

Giulietta 940
Unrevoked takes 10 minutes at the most and is fully automatic. I've done a shed load of them with no issues whatsoever.

Load up the program, plug in the phone, switch on USB debugging on the phone and it does it all for you.

As for ROMs, if you don't mind losing SenseUI, then CyanogenMod7 is the way forward :)

For rooted apps I recommend the following:

TitaniumBackup - allows you to backup all your apps and system settings, especioally handy if you are flashing custom roms as you can get everything back

SetCpu - allows you to over/underclock your processor. Will do it dynamically which saves you battery, so when your phones idle it scales back the CPU speed to 200Mhz from 1Ghz or similar

ShootMe - allows you to take screenshots from the phone with a simple shake)

Sounds good. I'll have to do some more research, but when the time comes, expect a few PMs :p

182FF with cup packs
I don't think that you can use Unrevoked for the Incredible S yet.

HTC have been a bit of a bunch of t***s with locked bootloaders recently (though apparantly they have given that up for all the new phones now). You can root the Incredible, but it's not a simple 1-click job like the Desire.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
I'm using leedroid, but I thought the latest version he'd done was still froyo? Can't see a gingerbread on his site. Don't think the new version of sense that comes with the sensation will work because of hardware requirements. There are some roms which have the dhd sense but I've never bothered changing it from leedroid myself.

This is the one I put on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1038195

Most of the ROM's I've seen come with titanium backup but not tried any overclocking stuff yet.

S3, Polo
You want a Sense ROM? LeeDroid is best IMO.

You happy to try another ROM - As 'Pinko' said above - CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) it's epic. Fast, pretty and easy to use.

If you dont mind loosing sense and dont like the cyanogen, MIUI is a good shout,
sense 3 stuff on the DHD is a ballache for the devs so could be a fair while until the regular desire gets anything

Giulietta 940
HTC Sense is just s**t like footsteps, friend stream, Peep etc. right? Nothing important?

182FF with cup packs
HTC Sense is just s**t like footsteps, friend stream, Peep etc. right? Nothing important?

Pretty much. I think there are replacements out there for most of the stuff though. Sense was pretty good when Android was on 2.1 as the stock UI was a bit pony. Since 2.2 though it's been vastly improved. I used to run a rip-off of a Desire ROM on my Nexus One because I found Sense slicker than stock, but I dropped it like a hot potato once 2.2 came out and the UI improved. The only thing I missed from Sense was the flip clock widget, but "Fancy Widget" does exactly the same (in fact they had to withdraw the earlier versions of Fancy Widget due to it being a carbon copy of the HTC Widget from Sense).

CyanogenMod has some nice extra options as well, the homescreen bottom dock is customisable, it has an addition power widget type dock on the pulldown status bar for easy access to wifi toggle/3g toggle/torch etc.

It also supports full rotation on the home screens (so you can have rotate it to landscape or even upside down and the screen rotates)

Here's a couple of screenshots of it. (all taken with ShootMe mentioned above)

Home screen with Fancy Widget
snap20110601_153842.png

Pulldown Notifcation bar
snap20110601_154211.png

AppDrawer (ADW Launcher)
snap20110601_153904.png

LMHQH7sGl1PMt8kcbnChr2bCnrdhMY43m5pp3jpUu9c
LMHQH7sGl1PMt8kcbnChr2bCnrdhMY43m5pp3jpUu9c

Last edited:

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just been reading up on that this aft, will give it a bash tomorrow. Did you go down the a2sd+ or data++ route? Already on a2sd+ dunno if I can be arsed changing.

I just went with the a2sd+ and it all works fine. That Cyanogenone above looks nice. I might give it a bash next week.

Giulietta 940
Wow Pinko, that looks really nice. I might do this on Sunday, getting bored of how my phone looks/acts now.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Wow Pinko, that looks really nice. I might do this on Sunday, getting bored of how my phone looks/acts now.

just use a launcher like golauncher and changes the look with no fuss. only root to make changes to the system, not just how it looks

Giulietta 940
just use a launcher like golauncher and changes the look with no fuss. only root to make changes to the system, not just how it looks

What do I have to lose by rooting? Except for voiding the warranty. Its over a year old now anyway, although I think Vodafone's warranty lasts for two years.

Google are restricting their new services, movies etc (when they arrive in the UK) and won't allow you to use them if you have a rooted device.

Fiesta ST-2
Im using Lite-ning Rom V1.1 on my Galaxy S2, very happy with it. I already rooted before flashing it, but this isn't necessary with this ROM nor do you need to backup files.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm one thing I've noticed is that the phone memory has run out very quickly with the LeeDroid ROM:dapprove:. I think I might have to give CyanogenMod7 a go after the weekend to see if it's any better...

182FF with cup packs

You can, but with HTC phones that are running SenseUI, sense will continue to run underneath even though you aren't using it. Better to flash another ROM, also helps getting rid of all the operaator crap that gets installed.

Hmm one thing I've noticed is that the phone memory has run out very quickly with the LeeDroid ROM:dapprove:. I think I might have to give CyanogenMod7 a go after the weekend to see if it's any better...

One of the reasons he has implemented data++, but you have to mess around with the partitions or something. Basically phone data as well as apps is stored on the sd card, making more room for memory. (from what I understand anyway)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
One of the reasons he has implemented data++, but you have to mess around with the partitions or something. Basically phone data as well as apps is stored on the sd card, making more room for memory. (from what I understand anyway)

I see, something I will have to look into when I get back after the weekend...

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Update time...
Well after looking into this stuff a bit more I got round to creating a EXT3 partition using Gnome Partition Editor so I can now have plenty of apps installed. I tried the Cynogen7 ROM but wasn't keen on it tbh. It did everything it was meant to quite well but still found myself preferring Sense so looked into Sense ROMS and came across this...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=988570

I've only been running it for a few days so far but have to say I like it. The improved Sense has a few welcome nice touches and it all seems to work as it should so far (although I've not had chance to test the power consumption properly due to messing too much with it...;)).
I'd definitely say it's worth trying for any of you Desire owners. It's far better than the stock ROMS:approve:.

I'm quite happy with leedroid, but that rom with the new sense looks good. I'll need to find a way to extend my ext3 partition from 512mb to 1gb but shouldn't be too hard.

Are you using standard hboot or did you flash CM7? That's the only thing that confuses me a bit, if I change that I can't revert back to leedroid easily, and there is a chance of bricking? Take it if I stick with stock hboot I can just flash from clockwork like I did with leedroid?

Also, definitely a desire rom not HD? All the pics are on a HD phone.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Just download the gnome ISO, boot off it and once in delete the SD then format it with fat32 leaving a GB free and format that with ext3. The run the ROM and it all works as it should. Takes ages to install this one though. Thought it had gone wrong for a while lol.
I will post a link to the version I used later. Think it was hboot and went on just like leedroid but took longer to install.

Might give this one a bash. Similar to RC Mix but people have said its faster and doesn't require me to alter my memory card partition. Although leedroid has said he is working on a new version over the next few days, might wait and see what he comes up with.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Might give this one a bash. Similar to RC Mix but people have said its faster and doesn't require me to alter my memory card partition. Although leedroid has said he is working on a new version over the next few days, might wait and see what he comes up with.

Looks okay that, let me know how you go on with it...
This is the one i downloaded http://rom.robocik.mobi/Desire/RCMixS/v2.0/RCMixS_v2.0_DT-A2SD+_BravoHboot.zip
Will try your link when i get the time (if you find it good!)

Finally installed this last week. Was impressed but it appeared laggy after time and needed to reboot the phone now and again. He's been updating it almost daily with new versions and the latest one now seems to be performing well. Happy with it now.

I'll still might give leedriods new one a try when he releases it, as his will be based on the leaked official HTC desire ROM, not a port like a lot of the others are.

Not a 320d
I hated Cyanogen or whatever it was.

I had major problems getting my phone to work after trying to instal the first rom. Took me till 3am one morning to get it working again.