ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ROLL CAGE fitting

Hi Im building myself a tarmac rally car so got my self a 6 point bolt in cage. Can anyone give me pictures/ advice on how the reinforcement plates should be welded in the front bar and main bar look straight forward, just the back part (which attached to the arches). pictures of all would help though.
Cheers

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
First thing you want to do is fit the spreader plates to the floor with a angle grinder (as you can see in my picture it follows the shape of the floor)
prep the floor for welding, grind all paint off, I primed the floor before welding with UPOL #2 to stop rust http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repairs/car-body-fillers/u-pol-weld-2-primer
refit the cage and tac weld all the plates in, then remove the cage and fully weld them (HAVE SOMEBODY UNDER THE CAR WITH A WATER SPRAY BOTTLE WHEN WELDING AS THE UNDERSEAL WILL CATCH ON FIRE)
With the rear arch foot plates fit the cage and bolt it down, centre punch the holes from inside so you can see them from inside the wheel arch then give them a good whack back in and drill from inside the arch.
Doing it this way you don't need to take the cage out again.
Hope that makes sense
DSC_0504_zps8dvnyyp3.jpg

DSC_0516_zps22156567.jpg

DSC_0514_zps43363134.jpg

thanks for the advice:up: I get what you are saying for the 2 front parts, on the arches do you put any strengthening in or straight on to the body shell?

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
You should have a spreader plate with welded nuts on for the inside of the arch and the foot on the cage just sits on top of the arch, so it sandwiches the arch
(I assume this is a SD cage)

You should have a spreader plate with welded nuts on for the inside of the arch and the foot on the cage just sits on top of the arch, so it sandwiches the arch
(I assume this is a SD cage)
right right get you now, yes it is. thanks for your help