ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rocker cover leak

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
There is no gasket.

To re seal its going to be a cambelt replacment, the cam cover holds the cams in.

Many.
You don't remove the cover to do the belts. It's just you need to remove the belts to do the cover.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Before I contact the place tomorrow. Do I have any grounds to ask them to sort the leak out seeing as it's part of the procedure to remove the rocker cover to do the cambelt?

You have that arse backwards mate, you dont touch the rocker cover when doing the belts unless a customer specifically asks you to.

To do the rocker cover reseal you need to undo it, when you undo it the cams will come pinging out, so you need to remove the cambelt first and to do that you need to remove the aux belt first.

So you are looking at a 500+ bill to fix it realistically, and you cant in anyway blame the garage that did the belts if you didnt ask them to reseal it and it wasnt leaking at the time so no reason for them to specifically offer to do so.

Check its that which is actually leaking before you spend money though, as it might be something like the solenoid seal which can leak and run down the back of the engine for example.

As above. However if it was leaking before the belts were done, the garage should've told you/resealed it. I'm getting to the stage now where I'm thinking about including it in the cambelt change routinely.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As above. However if it was leaking before the belts were done, the garage should've told you/resealed it. I'm getting to the stage now where I'm thinking about including it in the cambelt change routinely.

Mike (MWM) was saying the other day that he offers it to people at time of cambelt now as its so little extra work once in there so makes sense them paying a small amount extra at belts time rather than having to come back for it later on. Guess you would have to charge to a half hour amount labour at least to do it though as to clean the surfaces up properly does take a fair amount of time IME!

I had some oil seeping from underneath the bolt heads on the rocker cover.

I just undid them one at a time and placed a small amount of sealant underneath the bolt head on the offending side.

Fixed mine!

Clio 172
You have that arse backwards mate, you dont touch the rocker cover when doing the belts unless a customer specifically asks you to.

To do the rocker cover reseal you need to undo it, when you undo it the cams will come pinging out, so you need to remove the cambelt first and to do that you need to remove the aux belt first.

So you are looking at a 500+ bill to fix it realistically, and you cant in anyway blame the garage that did the belts if you didnt ask them to reseal it and it wasnt leaking at the time so no reason for them to specifically offer to do so.

Check its that which is actually leaking before you spend money though, as it might be something like the solenoid seal which can leak and run down the back of the engine for example.

Welcome to Stupid engineering by Renault?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I had some oil seeping from underneath the bolt heads on the rocker cover.

I just undid them one at a time and placed a small amount of sealant underneath the bolt head on the offending side.

Fixed mine!

I was going to do that too, but don't those bolts need to be torqued, and in a certain order?

"Navy" N17 TWO
I replaced my breather gasket & solenoid seal last summer.
Still have oil pooling where the lower inlet meets the head though, but in fairness I've always had that with this car and been told it's normal lol

That's where I have the oil leak Tigger and I think it's been like that since buying the car.

For now I will just manage the leak, I'm not prepared to spend £500 when I'm not going to be keeping the car much longer.

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's where I have the oil leak @Tigger and I think it's been like that since buying the car.

For now I will just manage the leak, I'm not prepared to spend £500 when I'm not going to be keeping the car much longer.

Think it's inevitable in them anyway from reading up on it before - I had my 10 year/70k belts done last week too