ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Roaming + data... Map app abroad ? [Android]

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Going to be going away with work a few times this year and would like some data roaming. I'm with T-Mob/EE and from what I can work out, when I get there, it'll restrict any internet access before I've paid for extra which is fine .. however, it's about £10 for 50MB which I think would disappear in seconds with a couple of emails and 30 seconds on Maps.

:S

If anyone has any secrets for getting decent data allowances without re-mortgaging my house please let me know, but in the meantime...

Does anyone have any links to useful apps where I can download a map of the city (Köln and Valencia are coming up) and use GPS to find myself for example ?

Not sure Maps will cache enough data .. I certainly don't know how to save a city anyway... any ideas ?

Phone is running Android BTW.

Ta in advance :evil:

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Google maps... Download the maps here... use over there on GPS.

Capiche?!

Clio 172mk2
yer go on google maps whilst over here, go over the area yer off to and download that section, that's all I did for USA

Clio 1.2 16V
Buy a pay-as-you-go sim when you get there?

This pretty much, just been to Croatia and they had an internet day package with unlimited data for just a little over £1 a day! (Much better than the £3/Mb Three wanted!) But obviously depends on the country you're going to, I imagine most have something similar on offer. Definitely not worth paying what EE are asking for.

work for BMW
I am using the standard Google maps app on my android nexus 4 in USA at the mo. You can save areas of the world map to offline mode where you can use it and track yourself like normal . easy peasy and free

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
So there is an option within the maps to save offline? iPhone 5 here.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah yeah just checked mate. Any ideas for using th iPhone in Paris then?

Tbf i'll probably sign up to their £3 a day roaming and can use my text/phonecalls/data allowance over there.