ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
If the weather is anything like it has been this year next September could be a good time to go? Schools back so less tourists about and not too cold and the days aren't too short either.

Sounds like a plan mate!,was going to say that about going out of season & kids hols.Cheaper,less people about!.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
After doing France the last 3 years, I'd like to hit up Switzerland, Austria, I'd like a week of roads like the Stelvio Pass.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
My advice if you're planning a Wales trip...

Accommodation-wise there's no shortage of places to stay in Wales, just use Google/TripAdvisor. Only you will know whether you want to camp on a budget or stay in a 5* spa hotel at several hundred pounds a night so anyone else giving you recommendations can be tricky.

For routes, Andy was instrumental in helping me plan when I organised previous year's Trophy weekenders, but I also put in a lot of time researching myself. Pistonheads has a sub-forum devoted to Roads (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?h=0&f=45) and some people have posted their Welsh routes asking for advice, so it's worth scrolling back and looking into any posts that mention Wales - you might even find some of mine while you're at it.

In addition there's a thread which started off as a topic on the EVO triangle but has morphed and is a go-to resource for all things Wales (https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=45&t=304051).

Check out these in detail and start making notes.

Buy a decent road atlas, get a highlighter and start marking up potential routes. If you see a road that looks twisty and small then it's almost guaranteed to be worth a visit! Don't be afraid to go on the smallest classification of road either, they're sometimes the best.

You can approach it in one of two ways - either plan a route and stick to it, with a lot of driving all day, or give yourself plenty of time with a shorter route but allow yourself to have several runs over some of the best roads you find, some of which might be 10-15 mile sections. Whoever is planning the route, just take charge and plan the weekend how you want because if you keep asking for approvals each step of the way it'll never happen.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I finally had the time to go to North Wales today, and only one word describes that place.....epic!

After watching a few youtube videos, I settled on the following roads: A5, B4391, A4086 & A4120 Devils Bridge,

A5 - initially thought this would be a slightly boring main road, how wrong was I. Lovely fast flowing bends, great surface, and good visibility.

B4391 - This now my favourite road....ever! I think its 8 miles in total length. It went past in what felt like 8 seconds!

Superb flowing bends, tight and twisty, with good tarmac. Its got the lot. Fast open sections, and tighter, blind sections with both positive and negative cambers.

I did have one moment with a sheep over a blind brow, at about 60mph......reminded me of that Volkswagen T-Roc advert ??

On the B4391 - I noticed an Aston Martin with the plate AMV 8 (assumed its a test car), several BMW M2's, 2018 Alpine A110 and a few Fiesta ST's, and a couple of Subaru's up there.

Basically the place is mega. I was going to explore more, but I've had a days taster and I'm very impressed. Just a word of warning, watch out for sheep on the moors and respect the speed limits in the villages. Do that and you can do anything but have a lovely day in North Wales ?

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Buy a decent road atlas, get a highlighter and start marking up potential routes. If you see a road that looks twisty and small then it's almost guaranteed to be worth a visit! Don't be afraid to go on the smallest classification of road either, they're sometimes the best.

After today, I couldn't agree more :)

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Sounds good mate,will take note of the roads and may message you again soon on further info @Jon46

It was :)

I looked at a few websites, and did a 'best roads in Wales search'....I soon realised the place is full of nice roads, literally cover in them.

Then just picked a selection from the Snowdonia area.

Seriously, you could pick any road, and it'd be fun :) That includes the A roads

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Dont fancy coming then if it gets arranged? @Jon46

I'll be all over it like a car bonnet ?

Any weekend is good for me, except November 3rd.

I've got 4 days holiday to take too, before the end of December, so I could do mid week if others can too?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Wont be till next year mate,i was going to start looking up things this week/end but my laptop has packed up,bit crap trying to look up stuff like this on your phone.Prob looking at sept next year,so gives time for car prep,save cash etc and people have family hols etc before @Jon46

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
I had a quick look at maps last night and OS do some really good interactive maps. North Wales Tour map 10 and Ranger Wales are great.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Ah these free maps or do you have to purchase them?

Also bit random,but what Clio do you have?

They're free for 7 days, then you have to subscribe for £3.99 a month.

I'm thinking, do 7 days free research. Then subscribe when we have the meet (July 2019, Oct 2019 whenever)

That way, you can create routes and it will save them for you, as we drive. On an ipad or iphone :)

I have a FF BG 182

Clio 197,306 rallye
Good evening folks. I’m a new guy but can you put me down for Wales please? Done wales on a bike before and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Good evening folks. I’m a new guy but can you put me down for Wales please? Done wales on a bike before and loved it.

Welcome to the Forum mate,will do.If you click on the watch link on here you will get notifications on any new posts to.Will start to plan it soon once i have moved house,prob start in Jan to start to get things together.

Clio 197,306 rallye
Thanks gents. Seems a bit quiet down this way for the club (Cornwall)so hope you don’t mind me jumping on your train? I should even have my car built by the time the trip happens or I’ll be in my 306,[emoji6].

Clio 197,306 rallye
Yes,wing it ending at the pub sounds good,[emoji106][emoji2532][emoji482]

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Is it still a 40mph limit enforced by traffic police on motorbikes?

I've got a couple of days off this week, and these pics have inspired me to go :p I'll let you know if its 40 mph.

I did a quick run through on google earth, and the police had a semi-permanent tent on top of the mountain! I haven't seen any road side cameras on the Black Mountain Top section.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Yeah mate sounds good,can do a little research for us.Dont forget to get plenty of photos to.Do you live close to wales then or just thought feck it im going? @Jon46

I certainly will take some pics no problem at all, I might do a little vid if I can get my Apeman GoPro replica to work haha

I'm in Yorkshire, so about 160 miles away from the Black Mountain Pass ......I did just think feck it! ?

I went to North Wales in October (see post #86) and loved it!

My very vague plan is to go on the motorways into Cheshire/Wrexham (approx 60 miles), then make up the 100+ miles from there on the back roads. From my October experience, it almost impossible to find a bad road in Wales. Even if youre stuck behind a bus at 30 mph, the views are usually spectacular :)

I want to do the B4391 again, because, well its just rude not too, its a Glorious road. The capital G is intentional ?

From there i'll meander south towards my overnight b&b.

Then early in the morning, i'll tackle the A4069 ?

Where are you based @MrBlonde ? Essex?

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Not that you’ll need any help finding a decent road - your strategy is pretty sound - but in case you’re in the area, one of my favourite roads in mid-Wales is the 20 mile stretch between Machynlleth and Llanidloes.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Not that you’ll need any help finding a decent road - your strategy is pretty sound - but in case you’re in the area, one of my favourite roads in mid-Wales is the 20 mile stretch between Machynlleth and Llanidloes.

Tim - do you know the road name? A111 or B111 etc? Thanks

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Is it still a 40mph limit enforced by traffic police on motorbikes?
I've got a couple of days off this week, and these pics have inspired me to go :p I'll let you know if its 40 mph.

I did a quick run through on google earth, and the police had a semi-permanent tent on top of the mountain! I haven't seen any road side cameras on the Black Mountain Top section.
Yup - it's a 40mph limit.

Further north, It looks like the Evo Triangle will soon be getting average speed cameras installed as well... the Welsh Government have set aside half a million wholly for the scheme.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Yup - it's a 40mph limit.

Further north, It looks like the Evo Triangle will soon be getting average speed cameras installed as well... the Welsh Government have set aside half a million wholly for the scheme.

?

I’m sure we can find some other quiet and decent roads in Wales, the place seems to be full of them :)

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Will Start to look into things more end of Jan once ive moved,starting to get bits done on the clio like the PS3 & just bought a set of goodridge brake hoses and 200 brake fluid.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Forge Road for the first half then B4518 for the second half.

View attachment 1396246

Tim - Thanks for the recommendation for this road ??

It’s wild, wet and windy, yet it’s still fantastic to drive! ?

I almost got blown over the edge of a cliff, when I got out to take a photo at the Clywedog Reservoir ?

I’ve taken some photos but they’ll be crap because the light was fading by the time I got here. Fingers crossed it’s clear in the morning :)