ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ripped right off......

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi well well...... i bought my girl a ph2(52) 172 in december when i seen it on the net the garage wanted 2k for it i went down to have a look at it and in the window it said £1500 so i had a good look around her and it was clean no dents no scraps on her really clean.

The guy comes out starts talkin to me he sald it over heating a lil and for £1500 he would do the head gasket but only 4 £1500 so i let her tick over 4 abit and took her for a lil drive round the site they on. Fair play to this car drove very well so i went back in and had a chat with him done the deal give him a deposit and he gives me a reciept for £1500 (INCLUDING HEAD GASKET).

So a week goes buy and the car is ready, i go down to the garage and let her tick over the temp gage goes up half way and stays there happy days im thinkin..

Now i aint stupid and i know the car would have lil problems and i would need to spend a lil bit of money, which i did, new pads disks allround new brake lines 2 tyres on the back-new plugs and leads (the old 3where renault and the 4th was BMW)-new thermastat.

But when i went to change the thermastat there was not 1 in thier they had c**t it in HALF so just the gasket really this was to let the water run thro the engine and not to let her over heat and when the new thermastat went in it was over heatin and droppin her coolent so any ways the HEAD GASKET HAS not been done when it states on the reciept INCLUDING HEAD GASKET im goin down there monday to see him and to see what can be done.

What do you guys think??

No matter what the car his havin a new engine my girl really likes this car so we want to keep it and we aint the sort of pple to pass it on to some 1 else...... Any advice you guys can give me will be of help thanks Bing

Last edited by a moderator:
Until you speak to them you won't know what the best plan is but putting a new engine in it is 100% pointless.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
That was hard going

As said, any invoices, as it would have needed at least a new timing belt, as it has to come off

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Thanks for the replys guys.. Im soooo glad i found out now coz it was going for a cambelt change the end of feb. REVELS why is it 100% pointless to put a diff engine in her?

Thanks again

Bing

Because of the cost. Break it, get back what you paid, then buy another one.

Unless you can do the engine change yourself, you're chucking money away.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Revels iv got a mate who will put the engine in for me 4 £50 plus breakfast and dinner lol So really it just the price of the engine £500--£600 renparts have got 1 now 61 (tho) but i really want to see if i can get help off the garage 1st...

Thanks again for the reply

I think I'd be asking for my money back.

Gasket and belt change is going to cost them a lot of cash and so they'll either refuse to do it or bodge it and reuse the belt etc. Their track record thus far for quality work isn't good is it.

A new engine is the sort of expense that they won't be prepared to cover.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi tiger i dont want them to touch the car really just give me some thing towards gettin her done really

Thanks for the reply

172 cup
I would of been asking for receipts of the neew headgasjket etc upon collection of the car.

As theyre a trader, and they have not kept their half of the agreement. They are obliged to give you your money back. Put any old parts back on the car and get your money back.Plenty more 172 out there!

What do you mean by it was 'dropping coolant'? I assume you mean the coolant level is going down with no visible leaks from anywhere? You dont see many head gaskets go on F4R's, theyre pretty bomb proof so id get some proper diag by someone who knows what theyre doing.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Dean the with doing that is all the old part have gone stright in the bin so ideally i would like say a few hundred bk easier sald than done tho.....

SkidMarx iv had a mate look at it and he wrks for allfa.. and he had it down his wrks this morning and he sald the oil is mixin with the oil and their is no presure sure thats what he sald....

Thanks for the replys guys

See what you can negotiate about it.

If it was me, I'd be trying to return it for my money back instead of having to face a ton of work. But I suppose you've already began investing in it, so it's up to you.

Ok. Just take it back and kick up a stink, there are plenty of decent examples around at that price so no point is messing about with it.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Thanks for all the replys guys... One of the mebers on here has offered me a 38k engine for £400 out of a cup(salvaged car) and its close ish to me so im goin down wensday nite so fingers crossed its a good 1.... But the good part is he got the m.o.ts to prove her millage I LVE THIS FORUM lol so with any luck where i bought the car will help me out..........

Bing

Last edited:
Good luck with the engine and I hope they will let you have some money to help with it.
Be prepared for little or nothing though.

As Ben said, f**k nows what else they've done to it. I wouldn't let my g/f near it personally.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi tiger260 i have looked on the goverment web site and by law they shoud help me out so only time will tell......

Thanks forthe reply

172 cup
Just stay calm when you talk to them. Tell them you would ideally like to keep the car, but the engine needs sorting out. Ask them to cover the costs and work from there. They will probably pay 50/50 or give you the money back for the car.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
You really need a plan before going down there.

IMO your end game is to give the car back and get a refund. Your stories of putting engines in make me cringe. You shouldn't have to do anything remotely close to this.

Get an independent inspection on the car (do not drive it). Inform the garage you bought it from that you are doing so, because of your suspect findings.
If you're telling the truth, then the report will be in your favour an you can approach the garage with this, citing the sales of goods act. They may offer to repair or refund. If they do not, then you can turn this into a liable case.

Seat Ibiza
Oh what a horride thing :( demand a refund for the car as it was not sold the way it was advertised as such you brought it on the knowing it would have its head gasket re-done therefore is false advertising... you can do them for it :) x

Clio
lol, this looks like another thread of can i have your advice but I won't listen and I'm keeping the car and putting a new engine in.

Take it back and get your money back.

BG 182
I would get your money back matey. Engine change is a lot of hassle that you don't owe the car, the dealer owes it to the car! They're disgusting! Who said its safer buying from a dealer huh?

Focus RS MK2,
Knightmare, was it down on the order as a trade or a normal reatil sale mate? Hope you get this sorted what ever route you go down... but dont tar us all with the same brush people we wouldnt dream of something like that!!! :)

Good luck mate,

Cheers,

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Thanks guys for all the positive replys there is always 2 that got to be funny(i wont listen to any bodys advice=MACE) Guys 1 of the reason i thought of an engine change was iv spent a fair bit of money on the sald parts in 1 of my other post i think iv spent about just under £300 and all parts iv swapped are gone in the bin so i abit stuffed. If i give him the car bk im goin to lose all that money so im in catch 22 lol

Thanks for lookin

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think you'd be better pushing for a refund and losing the £300.

For the sake of £300 its really not worth the hassle/expense you'll have.

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
Hi jenic mate im goin down monday to see what he says if he offers me my money back ill take it.... But if he says he will only pay towards it ill have to go down that route so how MUCH should i be pushing for if he say he will pay towards it?

Thanks for the reply mate

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Hi jenic mate im goin down monday to see what he says if he offers me my money back ill take it.... But if he says he will only pay towards it ill have to go down that route so how MUCH should i be pushing for if he say he will pay towards it?

Well, I'm pretty sure you would be entitled to a refund.

If he is going to pay towards fixing it then he should pay it all.

Ph1 T

all or nothing IMO

Dirty MK5 Golf.....
N90DLW Its down penarth rd i really dont want to name ansd shame YET coz i may well go down there monday and he gives me a full refund if he does not want to help me THEN ill name then. I think thats is fair? isnt it.......

Thanks for lookin

Bing

R27 191/500
lol fair enough, 1 of around 50 on penarth road then :D, i work on penarth road so ill keep my eye out for a clio sport driving in a pissed off manner lol

Focus RS MK2,
Hi 182mark whatdo you mean order as trade? or retail? sorry for the noob question.

Thanks

Not a noob question at all dude I should have been more clear, I'm just trying to work out where you stand in terms of your money back, if it was advertised as a trade sale it may be more difficult for money back because dealer will claim sold as seen basically, and I'm guessing with how cheap it was then it is... Was there any warranty/mot
Etc provided when purchased?

Phone trading standards with regards where you stand...

All the best mate, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.