ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reving before turning car off

Clio MK 4
I know some people rev the car slightly as they turn the car off. Im sure i read somewhere it clears the system or am i completly wrong and is it just chavy?

Its old school mechanics they did it as it pushed a load of oil round the engine just beofre its switched off so its lubricated for next time.

No point though these days.

Silver 182 Cup Packs
I do know it's bad practice if you've got a turbo fitted.

Due to high spin rates and lack of oil flow.....

Black Gold Trophy
Its old school mechanics they did it as it pushed a load of oil round the engine just beofre its switched off so its lubricated for next time.

No point though these days.
I can see the reasoning behind that, but its actually bollucks, once the engine is switched off, the oil pump stops running anyway, so the oil just drains down into the sump as it would if you just switched it off at idle.
Ive heard the theory that people used to do it on carb engines so that it left some fuel in the inlet for a cold start the next morning, however fuel evapourates at room temp anyway, so by the next morning it would be gone, if it had not been sucked out by the pistons as the crank was slowing down.

Octavia vRS tfsi
It depends on how hard you've run the car and what state of tune that the car is in.

It's 'good practice' but not necessary on standard turbo cars in standard guise.

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
they usually say to run a turbo engine after a long drive for a few minutes, or drive the last couple of miles at littl or no boost i think.
no point revving a n/a engine imo.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Did an internet search.

Found a LOT of sites that said don't do this. Don't rev the engine then turn it off. They said it was a silly idea that dated back to carby days, that people thought it "primed" the carb, making it easier to start the next time. But that what it actually did was send petrol into the cylinders that washed the oil off the cylinder walls and did harm.

Then I found one that specifically said to do it. And it was the instruction manual from a car manufacturer, Radical, for its SR8 engine. Its in the instructions for warming the car up in the pits before a day's racing. They say warm up the engine until water temperature gets to 50C, rev the engine to 6,000 rpm, then turn it off. No explanation is offered as to why. The implication is that a quick burst clears the plugs - it is a race engine not a road engine - and makes it more likely it'll start easily and quickly when you're ready to fire it up and go out onto the track. And having driven cars that idle roughly and foul their plugs easily because they're highly tuned that makes sense.

Last edited:
  Black Gold Trophy
Yes thats true you should leave a turbo car running for a while before turning it off, so that you give the impeller time to slow down, because once you shut the engine off, it cuts the oil feed to the turbo and then after a hard drive it leaves the turbo spinning with no lubrication, causing the turbo spindle to wear and in some cases sieze! So revving a turbo car before turning it off is even worse!
Some modern engines have an electric oil pump that runs for a few minutes after switching off the engine so it keeps the turbo lubricated.

BMW M135i
Yes thats true you should leave a turbo car running for a while before turning it off, so that you give the impeller time to slow down, because once you shut the engine off, it cuts the oil feed to the turbo and then after a hard drive it leaves the turbo spinning with no lubrication, causing the turbo spindle to wear and in some cases sieze! So revving a turbo car before turning it off is even worse!
Some modern engines have an electric oil pump that runs for a few minutes after switching off the engine so it keeps the turbo lubricated.

Its more so to do with the oil coking up due to the heat in the turbo (bearings specifically) after you've given it a beasting. Thats why you don't rev it not why you leave it running.

172 Cup (Iceberg)
Can't say i have ever done this! i leave it idling for 30 seconds or so after a long drive but never rev it!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I always give the car a few second to idle once I stop, nothing special just while I sort my seatbelt out and put phone on pocket and take face plate off my stereo.

I also give it a minute or so when starting it up in the morning to just level the idle out a bit so its ready to drive, didnt do this on my first clio and that was dog rough, my new one is smooth as anything and idles perfectly, but I dont drive this one like I've stolen it so it might help, plus the 1/3 mileage and service history might help!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
the clio hand book specifically tells you not to blip the throttle when starting or stopping the igntion, doesnt say what but tells you not to.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Well i've learnt that blipping the throttle when cold splashes the oil up from the sump. Never done my car any harm.

172 Cup
Ive heard the theory that people used to do it on carb engines so that it left some fuel in the inlet for a cold start the next morning

Dam I must be old, or at least I've crappy old cars in the past. It's exactly what I used to do with my Triumph Toledo and I swear it made it easier to restart the next time. I still do it a little (3k rpm) out of habbit, but I'll try and break it before I get labelled a chav ;)

phase 1 172
i think the chavs got it from vin diesel in fast and furious coasting in revving his car!

i do the opposite if i`ve been pushing the car i leave it ideling on the drive for a minute, i do the same before i leave for work

its habit for me now and it probably makes no difference

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
I do sometimes, because my car pops on the over run and it sounds cool and I'm a child :)

Dan

BMW 320d SE
You should never do this in a regular car with a cat fitted.

It floods the delicate membrane in the cat with unburnt fuel, which damages the cat.

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
You can also wash the bores in certian cases, mainly with turbos that have had a fuelling increase.

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
i only slightly blip the throttle when startin her up when its cold (only really drive it at night) never do it b4 i turn it off, but i do leave it idlein for about 30 seconds.