ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reverse Lights

Alibi Blue Clio 197
I currently have no reversing lights. Bulbs ok, fuse ok, multi meter telling me theres no power coming through. I am sure I have seen a thread somewhere telling about the reverse light switch on the gearbox ( ??) can go faulty and needs replacing. MOT in a couple of weeks so gotta get it fixed!

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Wait for someone who knows what there on about but i thought the reversing light inst part of an MOT so if it is shot it doesn't matter on the MOT ?

Your reverse light switch has gone on your gearbox. Same happened to me.

As when you select reverse this pushes a switch and activates the lights.

This can be done by yourself once you take out the old quickly put the other in and hey presto!

Linky - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reverse-Light-Switch-Renault-Please-Check-Fitment-/380415824455

Select your car model, Bingo!!

As above not part of MOT, I just wanted it fixed for piece of mind as when reversing people know I'm reversing,

May help if it lead to an insurance claim 'His reverse lights weren't on' etc...

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Thanks chaps, I do need them working as you rely on guess work and people do get miffed if you come backwards at them with no reverse lights on!! Better order one up, is it difficult to replace or just hidden away?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
It's not an MOTable item so therefore I don't think insurance can say anything about it because the car is in a roadworthy condition and the other person should see that your car is reversing if they were paying attention

Thanks chaps, I do need them working as you rely on guess work and people do get miffed if you come backwards at them with no reverse lights on!! Better order one up, is it difficult to replace or just hidden away?

I'd say it was a challenge, but I'm no mechanic enthusiast.

Its easier to see once passenger side wheel and arch liner is removed, you'll see a green plug an arse to get off the switch.

Then you'll need some nimble mole grips to get hold of the hex part of the switch and undo and quickly swap them not much thread until it stops the oil.

I suppose jacking the car up would help on the passenger side too as this would help tilt the gearbox oil away from the switch a little.

Also to check before you do go ahead with it take the green clip off and join the 2 connection in the clip and turn your ignition on if you have reversing lights then go ahead.

Haynes manual may give a picture of where it's located.

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Brilliant, Euro Car Parts have them on the shelf for £11 so will get one and fit it up at the weekend. Thanks for the help on this.

MK3 Clio Dynamique
If your gear oil hasn't been changed recently, may as well change that while your at it (obviously after shorting both sides of the switch to confirm it is that needs changing) since your gonna loose some oil during the swap, I just drained mine, put in the switch then filled it back up. No mess, and since I don't have any service records, peace of mind that its been changed. Opie Oils sell it at a good price, I got this for my MK3:

Fuchs Titan SintoFluid SAE 75W-80 Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid

Don't know if MK2's are the same, but got the needed type from the Haynes Manual, 3.1 Litres of 75W-80

Good Luck!