ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reverse lights not working

Yozza'd Titanium 182
My reverse lights have just suddenly stopped working on my 04 182.
could this be a fuse? Or something more complicated!?

late 2003 172cup
Or switch on gearbox? Mine has gone too. Try front wipers on and select reverse, if the rear wipe don't go as you select reverse it will be sensor on gearbox.

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Still having issues with this.

They suddenly started working again for about 10 minutes. so its not the bulbs or a fuse.
Any ideas?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Still having issues with this.

They suddenly started working again for about 10 minutes. so its not the bulbs or a fuse.
Any ideas?

If it's not the gearbox switch as suggested, try checking the metal contact points on the light clusters themselves. I had a MINT 52 172 that I kept meticulously, but all of a sudden the indicator timings seemed to go off, I checked the metal contact points and it looked to me like condensation had caused surface rust on them, I cleaned them up with a flatblade screw driver and they never failed again.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's not the gearbox switch as suggested, try checking the metal contact points on the light clusters themselves. I had a MINT 52 172 that I kept meticulously, but all of a sudden the indicator timings seemed to go off, I checked the metal contact points and it looked to me like condensation had caused surface rust on them, I cleaned them up with a flatblade screw driver and they never failed again.
Yeah I got my fogs turning on instead of reverse lights when I bought my Clio iirc

Renault Clio MK2 1.2
Sounds like a reverse light switch (one on gearbox), located on the passenger side, gotta take front wheel off then it's in a bit of an awkward place. Make sure you have some gearbox oil to top up the lost oil with, or maybe consider a full oil change (I did that....by accident....couldn't get the damn thing screwed back in so oil all went) so get enough just in case......3.5l iirc. Sorted out my problem!

Yozza'd Titanium 182
Thanks for the input guys.
The lights have decided to start working again.
I recond its something in the cluster or a bad earth... as if it was the reverse switch i think they would be of all the time?....