ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev problem

172 Cup
What would cause my clio to not rev to over 7k even when its hot? I was driving it last night and it was only allowing me to rev to a point comparable to the 'cold start' redline. Also later on in the evening i was trying to see if the same problem was occurring, changed from 2nd into 3rd and was met with a new problem, it was like i was hitting the rev limiter at random points after 5k :S

at first i assumed the problem was gonna be a sensor but after the latter problem im not so sure

any help appreciated :)

ITB'd MK1
doesn't have a cam sensor

Sounds to me like an intermitent misfire, maybe caused by old sparkplugs, coupled with not getting up to temperature enough to give full revs.

Chenge the thermostat and the sparkplugs and see what happens

172 Cup
Car was running for at least an hour before booting it. Hadn't run it for a week so was being good to it. And it only had a service 3k ago so wouldn't think its the plugs. Will change them though

320d
Thermostat seems a pretty common problem. I'd try that like danny said.

Where the plugs definately changed at the service?

Would the thermostat cause the engine temperature indicator to be incorrect? Mine says it's up to temperature at idle, but when I boot it it seems to go down.

ITB'd MK1
Would the thermostat cause the engine temperature indicator to be incorrect? Mine says it's up to temperature at idle, but when I boot it it seems to go down.

that sounds like 2 things. Air-lock/low coolant level, or permanently open thermostat so as soon as revs pick up the radiator is over cooling

that sounds like 2 things. Air-lock/low coolant level, or permanently open thermostat so as soon as revs pick up the radiator is over cooling
Sometimes at idle my car will rev up and down very slightly (at cold temperatures), and it was revving up when I pressed my clutch down before revving back down again, but this has sorted itself. The coolant level is fine. If I change the thermostat would this help? Or are there any ways to correct this?

172 Cup
plugs were definately changed i paid my mate to do it and i watched him do it. i also bought the parts and bought the recommended ngk plugs. ill try the thermostat then. the temperature on the dash sat at the normal point so didnt even think of that.

i just wanna get the car right and sell it now im f**king sick of it. i wanna go back to a ford at least i know where i stand with them lol

ITB'd MK1
Sometimes at idle my car will rev up and down very slightly (at cold temperatures), and it was revving up when I pressed my clutch down before revving back down again, but this has sorted itself. The coolant level is fine. If I change the thermostat would this help? Or are there any ways to correct this?

doesn't sound related to the stat tbh. sounds like the ecu compensating for frictional load on the clutch/crank trying to slow the enigne down, so the idle control kicks in and the revs surge up a little. Bit of an odd one, but cleaning out the throttle body and lubricating it could help make it smoother.

Most 1*2 are overdue for a new stat though really

doesn't sound related to the stat tbh. sounds like the ecu compensating for frictional load on the clutch/crank trying to slow the enigne down, so the idle control kicks in and the revs surge up a little. Bit of an odd one, but cleaning out the throttle body and lubricating it could help make it smoother.

Most 1*2 are overdue for a new stat though really
Strange one. Mine also doesn't rev up to 7k, is this normal? The limiter cuts in at around 6850k/jusy under 7k.