ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev Counter

I am a bit worried about my clio sport 172, I cant seem to get it past 7000rpms and the rev limiter kicks in at 6400rpms, Two questions i have to ask are: Can you take the 172 into the red line? If you can has mine been setup with a crap rev limter? Please Help??

The rev limit changes depending on oil temperature etc..

6400 sounds like the limit it uses when the oil isnt up to full normal temp.

sure its the rev limiter not the esp? if you are going round a corner it sometimes feels like a rev limiter but its just the esp! assuming you have esp?? some might say "is it warmed up" but I am not sure the ecu/computer can take the engine/oil temp into consideration!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

are u ragging it when it is cold? when it is cold it has a rev limiter that kicks in about 6k. when she warms up she rev easily to the red line. generally limiter is always about 200 rpm above the red line. think the actual limiter is at 7.2k on the 172s. maybe something is wrong with the limiter not giving u the full range of rpms when it is hot. im sure another member will be able to give u more help than me

I dont think i have ESP on my clio 172, but tonight i was following a slow ass audi, so i put into second and booted it past him but when i got to 6400rpms the rev limiter kicked in which is very fustrating, there is still at lot to go, hope it is not losing power, and it was a running temperture as well

ive read loads about the 172 having a free revving engine, but once mine gets to 4.5k revs, it seems to get tight, i gave it a steady run in and most of the mileage is steady m/way, its at 24k miles now, does it need a bit of ragging to loosen it up a bit???

AS mentioned, the coolant temp means bugger all. Mine mashes the limiter at about 6500rpm for a good 10 minutes after the gauge reads 90 degrees (normal - middle) After the oil has heated up the limit rises to about 7200rpm.

VaVa

The lower limiter catches everyone out at some point Im sure. I usually change gear on feel/sound than looking at the rev counter. I often get caught out in 1st/2nd because theyre over pretty sharpish!!

172 ph1

I asked the "Panel of experts" at Renaultsport.com a similar question and this was the reply:

"Max engine speed for coolant <75c is 6700, coolant >75c is 7250 Max engine speed for gears 1st to 3rd 7250 4th to 5th is 7000 "

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I remember a discussion a while back where it was mentioned that the 172/182s actually read the temp for the limiter from the water temp, not the oil temp.

Crazy I know, but perhaps someone could confirm this.

[Edited by KDF on 4/21/2005 11:16:15 AM]

*edit* ok looks like skinner just confirmed it.

Some info on limiter

Maximum engine speeds:

–for a coolant temperature <75C :6700 rpm .

–for a coolant temperature >75C in 1 st > 3 rd gear:7250 rpm .

–for a coolant temperature >75C in 4 th or 5 th gear:7000 rpm .

Gear change indicator light comes on approximately 400 rpm before THE maximum speed.

Quote: Originally posted by Jay@auto-mods on 21 April 2005

admob- de-cat it i did an t revs like hell now just fels free!!
sorry for being thick but exactly what does de-cat entail??

Quote: Originally posted by markknightpz on 22 April 2005
it gets the cat out of the pipe[:p]

what effect does this have on your MOT if what you mean is removing the cat converter?? also warrenty issues??

2005 Impreza WRX STI

fail mot with a de-cat.not sure on warranty issue.mine was miles better with a de-cat on.it revs better and get few extra mph in each gear 1st 40mph 2nd 70. now it only goes to around 65-66