ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replica Kit help

Renault Clio GT 1.6
So I made my last purchase to complete the sport kit to put on my 1.2, shall sit down tomorrow and plan how/when things are being put on. Was just wondering if anyone had any tips or any suggestions on what/how I should put the kit on. Got the skirts, wings, front and back bumpers to go on. One small problem is that the skirts I've got on at the moment (put on by previous owner) are massive and bonded on and have been smoothed over :( Will this be a big problem? its dark at the moment but will put up pictures tomorrow morning to give you guys a idea what I'm dealing with. But back bumper shall 100% be going on tomorrow just worried about taking off the skirts as currently its stopping me putting the front bumper, wings and skirts on.
Cheers, max.

Clio
Will this be a problem, in a word, yes. I have taken bonded and smoothed side skirts off before and the only way is to cut them off and sand down the fibre glass and/or filler until you reach the original bodywork. Its means that you have to prep and paint the side of the car so isn't something you can do on the driveway. One other problem you may come across is if they have bonded the skirts to the bottom of the sills then cutting them off will remove the thick anti stone chip coating. Which to protect the body should really be replaced. Not an easy one but if you've gone this far then you're basically painting a third of the car anyway so it shouldn’t be a big problem to get the sides blown in at the same time.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Will this be a problem, in a word, yes. I have taken bonded and smoothed side skirts off before and the only way is to cut them off and sand down the fibre glass and/or filler until you reach the original bodywork. Its means that you have to prep and paint the side of the car so isn't something you can do on the driveway. One other problem you may come across is if they have bonded the skirts to the bottom of the sills then cutting them off will remove the thick anti stone chip coating. Which to protect the body should really be replaced. Not an easy one but if you've gone this far then you're basically painting a third of the car anyway so it shouldn’t be a big problem to get the sides blown in at the same time.

this doesnt sound like fun. so basically when i take them off i'll have to re-spray the bottom half of my car? how much we talking here ha. uploading pictures in a minute.
another thing, putting the back bumper on today but i need to do a cut out for my exhaust, any tips? cheers, max

DCi 100
In the same position as you with the skirts thing. I got a reasonable quote for £940 to paint the bumper, wings, skirts and both sides.

Renault Clio GT 1.6
£940! holy mother of jesus. that makes me super releived that all of my kit is the same colour!, ima give a go at lifting my skirts off tmorra and see wht the damage is. but most likely will need a respray at the bottom, sad face.

DCi 100
I know how you feel! Depends how they are though. Sprayed over your have to crack the paintwork to get them off etc.

I pulled one of mine off in the past where the wing meets the sill, vertical shut line. There was afew different layers of paint. Depends if they were sprayed on the car and stuck on or stuck on, sprayed on. I have paint runs all the way down the side of the car beneath the door shuts aswell, something to watch out for!

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Got the back bumper on the other day, Fingers crossed i can put the rest on today.

Pictures.
03092010384.jpg

04092010387.jpg

(Yes I know it needs a clean but have been busy with work and getting the parts :))

Renault Clio GT 1.6
finally got some pictures of the skirts!

help me :(

03092010374.jpg

03092010373.jpg

held on by brackets behind and then have been smoothed and sprayed over :dapprove:

got a feeling that will need a bit of paint work on the bottom sides of the cars as when the you pull away the skirts it will need sanding

Renault Clio GT 1.6
got a feeling that will need a bit of paint work on the bottom sides of the cars as when the you pull away the skirts it will need sanding

dam, should i do this before i put the rest of the kit back on? i really want it on regardless the damage of taking the skirts off. would sort out the paintwork when ive got the dosh

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
dam, should i do this before i put the rest of the kit back on? i really want it on regardless the damage of taking the skirts off. would sort out the paintwork when ive got the dosh

Suppose the only way to tell mate is to get them off!
Why someone would spend money on smoothing those onto the car is beyond me!

DCi 100
did ou pay 940? i got all of that plus a bootlid sprayed for 400

By both sides you mean the doors and 3/4 panels yeah?

No I didn't pay that, just getting rid of the car and starting again. I'd be abit worried paying £400 for what is essentially a full respray minus the roof!

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Skirts are off! not as bad as a i thought, especially as the actual sport skirts cover a lot.

05092010398.jpg

05092010397.jpg

05092010395.jpg

Metal brackets have been taken off
05092010391.jpg

Metal brackets have been taken off
05092010389.jpg

will get the white adhesive crap off tomora, gotta feeling if i put a hair dryer up to it, it should fall off. anyone have any tips or anything about what i need to do to propa clean up the sides?
cheers, max

Stagecoach Ticket
Safest way if you have no experiance with thinners and heat guns

is hair dryer and autoglym intensive tar remover , rags, blade will get most of it off mate you will cause some damage to the paint though just try and keep it as light as possiable.

Would be my method on a drive someone else might be able to suggest better though

J

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Safest way if you have no experiance with thinners and heat guns

is hair dryer and autoglym intensive tar remover , rags, blade will get most of it off mate you will cause some damage to the paint though just try and keep it as light as possiable.

Would be my method on a drive someone else might be able to suggest better though

J

cheers, did what you said and got some of it off but got bored and decided to focus on putting the front bumper and wings on before it chucked it down with rain.

so thats what i did and got a few snaps before it poured down. shall take some better ones tomorra to let ya see the progress.
skirts still need to be done but shall be taking it to a body shop i know and getting them to do it there

06092010405.jpg

no that is not me, its my friend who knows alot more about cars than i do.. ha
06092010408.jpg

and just realised my window wipers didnt go on right... awsome! lol
06092010411.jpg

skirts to go on soon :)
06092010412.jpg

Renault Clio GT 1.6
Looks good! You changing the alloys?

yeah shall be changing them once the skirts are on. stuck between the anthracite cup wheels or getting a black pair, also changing the wing mirrors back to electric standard :)
nearly there!

Stagecoach Ticket
m3 rep mirrors suck balls even if i had a m3 evo i wouldent have them good choice going back.

Get some black 182 cup wheels would look epic! should get some £££'s for them wheels on ebay or somthing aswell there quite nice just chavy

Renault Clio GT 1.6
m3 rep mirrors suck balls even if i had a m3 evo i wouldent have them good choice going back.

Get some black 182 cup wheels would look epic! should get some £££'s for them wheels on ebay or somthing aswell there quite nice just chavy

I know right. i picked the complete wrong car when i was looking ha. ive liturally changed everything on it... ha.
and the wheels should go for a bit coz there performance aswell :) how much are cup wheels going for now a days man?