ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing rear damper - torque wrench needed?

Liquid yellow 182
Should I bother using a torque wrench when I change my burst rear damper, or just go for it with a spanner??

Also what are the torque settings for the Nut at the top of the damper, and the bolt in the trailing arm.

Cheers!

R35 GTR
torque wrench is the ideal, but I doubt many people have had problems just doing it up till it cant turn no more.:)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Just tighten it up, will be fine. well mine has been so far.

LY 182
there are torque settings for pretty much every bolt on a car, even with various torque wrenches and access to torque settings for 99.9% of vehicles i dont bother with any except hub nuts etc or you would be there all day

You should almsot tigthen nuts to the correct torque waste of time not doing

IMO if you don't know the torque look it up stupid not to you'll remember for next time

105Nm for the lower torque nut under the car.
20nm for the top nut inside the boot.

Lots of Alfas
^That and its a hell of a lot easier to get the bottom shock bolt off with a long torque wrench.

torque wrenches are woth getting iirc even Argos do one for about £15.

Liquid yellow 182
You should almsot tigthen nuts to the correct torque waste of time not doing

IMO if you don't know the torque look it up stupid not to you'll remember for next time

105Nm for the lower torque nut under the car.
20nm for the top nut inside the boot.

Cheers edde, was actually hoping you would have the answer!!

E36 M3. 182
Id use a breaker bar to loosen stuff, its possible to break a torque wrench trying to remove a seized fastner thats towards the top of its rated torque, if the breaker bar doesnt budge it, get a scaffold pole over it, usually does the trick:cool: . But as edde says, best torqueing things to the correct value with a wrench, just incase you strip a thread/ shear a bolt/ have to undo the bolts again in the future.

Id use a breaker bar to loosen stuff, its possible to break a torque wrench trying to remove a seized fastner thats towards the top of its rated torque, if the breaker bar doesnt budge it, get a scaffold pole over it, usually does the trick:cool: .

You should never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts though its bad practice.