ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

replacing heater matrix

Ive seen loads of posts on here regarding heater matrixs dying on clios etc and after putting up with a cold car for the last couple of months i decided it was time to replace mine. If anyone is thinking of doing this, pay the money and get a garage to do it as its a b**ch of a job.

The first problem I encountered was in my local parts shop. For some reason Renault made two different types of matrix, each of slightly different size. The only way I could tell which kind mine was by taking it out, and from finding out what kind it would take until the next day to get the part. So straight away I was encountering problems. I then called Renault, and the bloke seemed sure that he knew which part I needed. He didnt sound too convincing so I reckon he was guessing. Anyway got the part the next day (£54 including vat) and started working my way through the Haynes manual. This is where the trouble started. The manual lists a really small job, described in a couple of sentences but some of these take hours. If you are doing this on your own id either get started at 9 in the morning and work right through till the sun goes down, around 5.30. Getting the dash off and getting access to the matrix wasnt that difficult, but getting everything back together takes ages. Also, when my alarm had been fitted, the fitters had been lazy and ran loads of alarm cables over and around the dash, so these had to be cut and taped and then reattached when the dash was back in place.

If you do want to do it, give yourself loads of time and get some different coloured tapes for any connections you have to take apart, or wires you have to cut. Also write down all the plugs you undo, so when you get the dash back in place you dont leave anything out. If anyone is going to do it PM me and ill tell you some bits you have to do that arent in the haynes manual, but id advise anyone thinking of doing it against it. If you could get someone to help out that would make the job easier, but it is something I definately never want to do again. Having said that the car is now nice and warm and the windows clear in seconds.