ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

replacing gearbox oil question

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Whilst dicking round with the spring and damper I managed to break/pull the rubber gator off the drive shaft dumping all the gear box oil over my drive.

Would I have lost all the oil or just some of it? How do I check the level so I know how much to put back in?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It hold 3 litres do I doubt you've lost it all otherwise your drive would be covered, you can't really check the level apart from buying a litre of oil,
undoing the plastic screw on the front of the box and topping it up until it leaks out, then you know you have the right amount,
it's a very easy job to do but you'll need a funnel and a hose.

I bought one if these to do mine as it needs topping up every couple of months because of a weeping selector seal.
http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/garage-equipment/laser-flexible-spout-funnel-160mm

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
errr there was s**t loads of oil over my driveway so it could well be close to 3 L

ok so fill right to the top

cheers, I already have one of those funnels as it goes

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I find it better to use an Oil pump. with a longish tube. That way you wont have a faff with a funnel.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ok thanks

This is all halfrauds had, I don't care about brand just will this do without damaging the gearbox?

DSC_0466_zpskoshcgqj.jpg

Inferno 182 & Saxo
that stuff will be fine, comma arent too bad . Me personally id drain it all and add a fresh 3.1 litres or so, i find the some of the bottles have a little filler nozzle in the cap that you can attach to some hose and fill up via the filler plug, just make a hole in the bottle so the air can get it and it'll fill super quick otherwise you can be waiting a while
You want a metal clip round that rubber boot as once the bearing has come out of the end of it it wont seal too good and will leak.