ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing a shock absorber

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

Need some advice.

Is there a guide on how to remove a Front passenger shock absorber and then replace it with a new one?

Mine needs replacing as the chap who did my MOT said he could lift it with a bar very easy when other side was stiff.

Thanks all

Westfield, 182, 200
I had a an advisory a for worn top mount and it was actually a broken spring? I thought it would be difficult to lift the suspension enough with a bar to test a damper, thought they used the 'bounce' test?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
The chap said he shouldn't have been able to move it.

but was able too, also if you look at the rear wheels the drivers side sits much higher. So something is amiss.

turns out it's the rear I'm supposed to change, got my wires crossed at the garage.

Westfield, 182, 200
Leaky damper shouldn't affect the ride height unless you have gas shocks!

Check your front spring, they snap at the top regularly.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
It's the rear mate. Not front. As far as the mot papers say anyway. And it is like 20 mm lower on the back left.

springs look fine all round

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
It's the rear mate. Not front. As far as the mot papers say anyway. And it is like 20 mm lower on the back left.

springs look fine all round

The shock does not affect the ride height.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Oh ok. Will take both back wheels off and take a further look.
I have two rear shocks on the way so will sort any other issues I can see.