ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacement engine rattle with video

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi all,
I have a Ph1 track only car. Blew engine at 161k and sourced a replacement with 83k. Fitted and started tonight.
Engine had been drained of oil completely before fitting and new oil etc in tonight.
I have a rattle when cold which gets lighter as she warms. I have video below, any suggestions, tips, opinions (educated) or thoughts much appreciated...

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Did you hear the engine running before you purchased?

It sounds little like an injector ticking to me, but it's hard to tell on a video.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Could be the lifters needing to fully jack themselves up again. What oil you running it on? How long has it been sat as well?

Have you replaced the spark plugs? If not, check they're tight as that hissing noise could be one about to make a bid for freedom.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Could be the lifters needing to fully jack themselves up again. What oil you running it on? How long has it been sat as well?

Have you replaced the spark plugs? If not, check they're tight as that hissing noise could be one about to make a bid for freedom.
5w 40 oil, engine sitting 3 months. Plugs being replaced at weekend. Will probably fit old injectors as were fine also. Hopefully will change things. Sounds 'valvey' to me so may be onto something with lifters. Injectors as mentioned earlier & plugs will do no harm changing anyway.

Clio 172 cup
Hi @Leslie Graham apologies for bringing up an old thread but did you confirm whether this was the lifters and did you manage to sort it without removing the lifters? I suspect I've got the same issue with mine. Thanks.